Jambands.ca

QOTD: First Concerts

djmelbatoast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Headpins opening for Loverboy. GA show and I was front and centre. I caught a drumstick and Darby Mills' towel.

That night changed my life.

I walked outta there saying I was going to go to every concert that ever happens, and I've pretty much kept the promise.

2) Guns N Roses @ Copps Coliseum w/ Brian May Band (opener) --- 1993?

2) Lollapalooza 1995

Main Stage: Sonic Youth, Hole, Cypress Hill, Pavement, Sinéad O'Connor (first few shows; bowed out due to pregnancy), Elastica (replaced O'Connor, as did Moby for a few shows), Beck, The Jesus Lizard, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Side Stage: Coolio, Doo Rag, Possum Dixon, Poster Children, Yo La Tengo, Brainiac, The Coctails, Geraldine Fibbers, Dambuilders, Laika, The Pharcyde, Tuscadero, Built to Spill, Helium, Redman, St. Johnny, Dirty Three, Mike Watt, Versus, Hum, Blonde Redhead, The Roots, Blowhole, The Zeros, Pork Queen, Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments, Sabalon Glitz, Psychotica, Patti Smith, Overpass, Moby, Superchunk, Beck (acoustic, generally), Spring Heeled Jack U.S.A., Ariel, Incredibly Strange Wrestling

All I remember though is Cypress Hill and Elastica, and trying to wade through the crowd to get to the bathroom while Beck was playing. I didn't know what was going on.

The Who, June 1989 CNE Grandstand. This was a fantastic show for my first time...got to see the Stones that summer too (or was it the fall?) in the same venue...

Overture, 1921, Amazing Journey, Sparks, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright, Fiddle About, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, We're Not Gonna Take It, I Won't Run Anymore, All Shall Be Well, A Friend Is A Friend, I Can't Explain, Substitute, I Can See For Miles, Trick Of The Light, Boris The Spider, Who Are You, Magic Bus, Baba O'Riley, My Generation, A Little Is Enough, 5.15, Love Reign O'er Me, Love Hurts, Save It For Later, Too Late The Hero, My Wife, Give Blood, Join Together, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, You Better You Bet, Summertime Blues

The Who, June 1989 CNE Grandstand. This was a fantastic show for my first time...got to see the Stones that summer too (or was it the fall?) in the same venue...

First or second show? I went to the first show. Townshend wore a cast on his strumming hand because he impaled it at the Buffalo show a night or two before. Great show.

I went to The Stones "Steel Wheels" tour at the CNE that same summer. Another great show. Bill Wyamn still looked like a man back then.

Does Beatlemania at Hamilton Place in 81 count

It depends on the context. My parents took my brother and I to see Beatlemania at the O'Keefe Centre in 1983 or so, but I call that a family outing (it was a gift they decided to give us) that had a band playing; the first concert I went to by myself and because I wanted to go to it was SRV a couple of years later.

Aloha,

Brad