Jambands.ca

QOTD: First Concerts

djmelbatoast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show was actually Gawain at Kingston Memorial Center in the summer between grade eight and nine.

Its actually Gowan, not the dude you work with. And I was at that as well. Criminal Mind was incredible, unless I saw him more than once.

I am still trying to figure out the name of the band for my first concert but it was at the Memorial Center.

1989, grade 9

Headliners: Red Hot Chili Peppers

with openers the Smashing Pumpkins who had openers for them, some band NO ONE had ever heard of...Pearl Jam...

concert hall, Toronto

crazy now that i look back at it

a*

That reminds me of when I saw New Order (maybe sometime between '89 and '91, can't remember exactly) with two openers: Public Image Ltd. (John Lydon was craaaaazy!) and The Sugar Cubes. I remember thinking that the female singer was pretty kooky but talented - and she went on to prove those ideas repeatedly since then!

2) first concert on my own with friends

-"Clash of the Titans" : Slayer+Megadeth+Anthrax with Alice in Chains opening up (and getting booed off) @ CNE in 1991

They got booed because the opener (or closer depending on how you look at it) should have been Anvil.

Hmmm. I remember seeing that Cure/LaR/Pixies show too. But I think it was at Lansdowne in Ottawa for Canada Day. I believe they shared the stage with the Hip, Billy Idol and some band from the NWT. Then again, I could be confusing a few shows together.

That particular show when it hit Ottawa was at the Ex Grandstand and was The Cure, Love And Rockets and Shelleyan Orphan (no Pixies).

with family, roger whittacker at the o'keefe. without family, split enz at the bolton community arena.

Split Enz! Awesome! I got to see Crowded House on the Together Alone tour but would have loved to see the Enz.

First show : Yes, 90125 tour, Ottawa Ex Grandstand, 1984

First Club Show : Severed Heads with MC 900 Ft Jesus & DJ Zero ... the double shot of Marillion was shortly after that.

What year was that? Original guitarist Ed King left the band due to illness in 1996. Guitarist Allen Collins - their most important member outside of Ronnie Van Zandt - died in 1990. Bassist Leon Wilkeson died in 2001. I'm not exactly sure when Artimus Pyle left the band. I believe at best you saw three original memebers. Only two core members exist now in Skynyrd: Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. Lynyrd Skynyrd remain one of the best "non-official" tribute bands, although it feels wrong calling them Lynyrd Skynyrd.

They're still good live but I find it hard to get behind them as a going concern as frankly Jonny Van Zant is an abysmal lyricist, particularly compared to his brother. Sadly even the live show has to have taken a hit since Hughie Thomason, one of the best later additions, passed on not long after leaving the band.

What year was that? Original guitarist Ed King left the band due to illness in 1996. Guitarist Allen Collins - their most important member outside of Ronnie Van Zandt - died in 1990. Bassist Leon Wilkeson died in 2001. I'm not exactly sure when Artimus Pyle left the band. I believe at best you saw three original memebers. Only two core members exist now in Skynyrd: Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. Lynyrd Skynyrd remain one of the best "non-official" tribute bands' date=' although it feels wrong calling them Lynyrd Skynyrd.[/quote']

They're still good live but I find it hard to get behind them as a going concern as frankly Jonny Van Zant is an abysmal lyricist, particularly compared to his brother. Sadly even the live show has to have taken a hit since Hughie Thomason, one of the best later additions, passed on not long after leaving the band.

Hey, do you remember Johnny's solo career? He started out as a struggling solo artist only to later join the re-tooled Skynyrd line-up.

Anyway, I think the surviving members never should have "re-started" calling themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd. The soul of the band can't be replaced (and Steve Gaines was important too, but not moreso than the other co-guitarists). The only legit incarnation of the band not using the original name was the defunct off-shoot Rossington-Collins Band (circa 1979). That band had many of the surviving core Skynyrd members and they even garnered a few AOR hits, something the new Skynyrd has failed to do outside of the South.

hahahaha...Yep...my families album collection consisted of every Abba and Air Supply album...that was about it.

They couldn't make it past the "A" section at K-Mart

My lord Man! I guess they never made it to Anvil or The Allman Brothers? Please tell me they didn't crank-up any of this "A" section's albums when you were around:

561880.jpg

... I think my first 'club show' was Rusty at the X club!! (who remembers that place...?

My friend Darrin owned The X Club. I used to go see gigs there all of the time. I must have seen fifty or sixty shows there back when that place was running - some memorable ones were the Rheostatics and Big Sugar, but those were the "bigger" ones. They had live music coming out of their ass at that place.

1989, grade 9

with openers the Smashing Pumpkins who had openers for them, some band NO ONE had ever heard of...Pearl Jam...

concert hall, Toronto

a*

that was September of '91; that show kicked ass! Pearl Jam was damn impressive!

1989' date=' grade 9

concert hall, Toronto

a*[/quote']

that was September of '91; that show kicked ass! Pearl Jam was damn impressive!

I totally remember when that show went down. I just started at Ryerson in Radio and Television. I respectfully hated Smashing Pumpkins at the time (and still do) and was just getting into Pearl Jam and the Peppers, but I passed on the show due to school and living in a new city and not knowing anyone. I heard it rocked though.

... I think my first 'club show' was Rusty at the X club!! (who remembers that place...?

My friend Darrin owned The X Club. I used to go see gigs there all of the time. I must have seen fifty or sixty shows there back when that place was running - some memorable ones were the Rheostatics and Big Sugar' date=' but those were the "bigger" ones. They had live music coming out of their ass at that place.[/quote']

that place ruled. I remember getting in fights with my parents cause they wouldn't let me go there cause it was on a school night and it was in a bad part of town.. HA! (if only they knew what I've done.. hehehehhe }:| )