Jambands.ca

ribs

bouche

I'm going for round 2 of bbq/smoked ribs. I've got the webber setup for indirect grilling, but I'm having a hard time getting the temperature to stay at 250. I didn't measure the heat yesterday, and my rack turned into beef jerky. I had to go out and buy some backup meat for dinner.

I'm very determined to figure out real ribs, so I went out and got a gorgeous rack at Saslove's. The temperature is over 400, and I closed some vents. I'm putting a meat thermometer in the vent hole over the bare part of the grill for the temperature from time to time. I plan on tossing in my soaked hickory wood when the heat is down another 100 F.

Any tips would be appreciated. I do not want to screw this up again.

Ribs set aside with rub.

a mixture of dark brown sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.

ribs with rub

Ribs after about 1/2 hour

I've got a small amount of coal around one edge of the grill and some hickory wood on top generating smoke. the temperature is hovering around 250-300. I'm managing it by opening and closing the vent underneath.

ribs on the bbq

ribs on the bbq

The probe in the vent trick has always worked well for me. I'm assuming it's a weber kettle that you have? You could try and mimic a smoker by adding a bowl of water on the lower grill..the moisture will help the smoke settl einto the meat, it might help with keeping a stable temperature too.

I would start a pile of coal and grey them out and then add 2-3 fresh ones on top of that whenever the temp. dips a bit lower than you want.

WOW those ribs look AMAZING!!!! i have never been able to master ribs I'm going to have to try to get it down i've been craving them lately.I went to montanas to have some last wednesday..and was super disappointed. I can't believe how good those look, i'm jones'n for some ribs more than ever now. haha

Edited by Guest

on the CBC this morning they were talking about a movie called 'Barbecue is a Noun' that documents the real BBQ style from the south. might be worth checking out.

Check it

when I was in Kentucky for work many years ago, our clients asked us "what do you want for lunch?"

I was expecting the sort of choices like you would hear around here, chinese, pizza, mcdonald's, rudy's pub, etc...

Instead, our choices didn't include chinese, and barbecue was a choice. I asked them what they meant, and they explained, Ribs, Chicken, wings, pulled pork etc...

I learned then that barbecue is a thing, not an activity or method of cooking down there.

Mrs. Murphy: We got two honkies out there, dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants.

Matt Murphy: Say what?

Mrs. Murphy: They look like they're from the CIA, or somethin'.

Matt Murphy: What they want to eat?

Mrs. Murphy: The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.

Matt Murphy: Elwood.

Mrs. Murphy: And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.

Matt Murphy: And Jake. Shit, the Blues Brothers.