Jambands.ca

Kanye West Booedaroo

bouche

Lame all-around. I had the webcast on in the background for a good chunk of the day Sunday, and most artists made some mention of it.

I do think it bears repeating, though, that Pearl Jam went over by an hour. I've been a PJ fan for years, but that's not a cool move when you're at a festival and there are other acts that need to go on after you (that said, I wish I'd been there for their set - epic stuff from the looks of it).

It's an interesting story for sure but, you know, if you didn't really WANT to wait up until 4:30am to see a performer, well you always have a tent (or RV) to go to. Still lots of music to go see next day!

I really have no opinion on Kanye West good or bad as far as his music goes. I'd say his real crime here is missing a golden opportunity to maybe blow some minds by just sticking to his oroiginal 8:15pm time slot.

The unique thing about festivals is that you get to see artists outside, and it's about the music not the stage set, wardrobe changes and their regular tour lighting anyway.

Shame on Kanye for putting stage set up and lighting before his music. That's not what the bonaroo spirit it.

The amount of hate for Kanye was embarrassing - Kanye Sucks graffiti everywhere, Robert Randolph initiating a stupid Kanye Sucks chant, people ranting all day sunday. Leave your bad shit at home - the guy went on late, so what. The people that I talked to that managed to stay up for his set said that while the music may not be for everyone, the visuals were stunning and absolutely incredible.

Bonnaroo organizers are just as much to blame as Kanye's management if Kanye's people are to blame at all - *nobody* has said anything official about what really happened, so the quotes from those bloggers in the article mentioned are pure speculation. How do I know? Well, I asked the people in charge many times.

Embarrassing how the crowd and artists handled an already awkward situation. Shame on them.

I do think it bears repeating' date=' though, that Pearl Jam went over by an hour.[/quote']

I read on a few message boards that Kanye's setup was finished by around 3am or so. I don't think Pearl Jam were entirely to blame.

I wasn't saying PJ was entirely to blame, but I think amidst all of the Kanye hating it's too easy to forget that the fiasco seems to have started when they went considerably over.

And while the set may have looked completely assembled by 3:00, there is a very good chance that more was happening after that out of the view of the crowd. Setting up a show like that is, of course, a massive undertaking that involves way more than propping up a big screen on the stage.

While I'm not a Kanye fan, I can't imagine ever putting forth the effort (or disrespect) to boo anyone. If you're tired and cranky go to bed for crying out loud... or move along. From personal experience there is "never" any lack of something to do while at the Roo. And is Robert Randolph two or something?

• 2 weeks later...

from superficial.com:

Kanye West does some angry blogging Kanye West flipped out on his blog about people criticizing his performance at Bonnaroo. Kanye made festivalgoers wait 2-3 hours trying to get his stage show set up. He didn't perform until after 4 a.m. He blames Bonnaroo organizers and Pearl Jam for ending their show an hour late. Here's an excerpt from his blog at Kanye Universe City:

I am sick of negative people who just sit around trying 2 plot my downfall... Why???? I understand if people don't like me because I like me or if people think tight clothes look gay or people say I run my mouth to much, But this Bonnaroo thing is the worst insult I've ever had in my life. This is the most offended I've ever been... this is the maddest I ever will be. I'm typing so fucking hard I might break my fucking Mac book Air!!!!!!!! Call me any name you want.... arrogant, conceited, narcissistic, racist, metro, fag whatever you can think of.... BUT NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL! NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL! THIS SHOWS NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO BE GOOD AT SOMETHING THERE WILL BE PEOPLE THERE TO LIE ABOUT YOU AND BRING YOU DOWN! LIKE WAYNE SAYS PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME DOWN CAUSE I'M FLYING! I'M FUCKING HURT BY THIS ONE. ALL I CARE ABOUT ARE THE FANS. JUST SAY THIS OUT LOUD IN A ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE, "KANYE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT GIVING A GOOD PERFORMANCE." CAN ANYONE HONESTLY SAY THAT ????????? HAS ANYONE EVEN TAKEN THE TIME TO AT LEAST DO THE MATH??? BONNAROO SHOULD HAVE RELEASED A STATEMENT IN MY DEFENSE BUT SINCE THEY HAVEN'T LET'S BREAK DOWN THE WALLS ON THIS TRUMAN SHOW AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY OCCURRED!!! FOR OVER A MONTH WE WENT BACK AND FORTH ON WETHER OR NOT WE COULD EVEN FIT MY STAGE AT THE FESTIVAL. ONE DAY THEY WOULD SAY YES... WE'D SEND THEM OUR SPECS THEN THEY THEY'D SAY OK... THEN THEY WOULD SEND SPECS BACK THAT DIDN'T FIT THE STAGE. WE WERE OBVIOUSLY DEALING WITH FUCKING IDIOTS WHO DIDN'T REALLY HAVE THE CAPACITY TO REALLY PUT ON THIS SHOW PROPERLY. THEY TRIED 2 GIVE ME A TIME SLOT WERE IT WAS STILL LIGHT OUTSIDE ... I HAVE A FUCKING LIGHT SHOW DUMB ASS, IT'S NOT CALLED GLOW IN THE DARK FOR NO REASON SQUID BRAINS! MY PEOPLE WORKED OUT A COMPROMISED STAGE PLOT AND A 3AM TIME SLOT AND I AGREED. FAST FOWARD TO THE DAY OF THE SHOW. MY PRODUCTION MANAGER TRIED TO LOAD IN FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE I WENT ON STAGE BUT THE FESTIVAL WOULDN'T ALLOW US TO DO ANYTHING UNTILL PEARL JAM LEFT THE STAGE. PEARL JAM ENDED ONE HOUR LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT THAT POINT WE'RE RACING AGAINST THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did he just call them squid brains? I had no idea Kanye West was a pirate. Anyway, for those of you wondering why he's yelling, no, he's not in a movie theather. Kanye's just really passionate about making sure people know what a dedicated performer he is. And how much he loves overusing punctuation. LOVES IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

I don't feel bad for Kanye in the slightest.

Call me any name you want.... arrogant, conceited, narcissistic, racist, metro, fag whatever you can think of.... BUT NEVER SAY I DIDN'T GIVE MY ALL! ... ALL I CARE ABOUT ARE THE FANS.

So, he doesn't mind being called a racist?! But say that he didn't give 100% and he's ready to put a cap in your ass and type in all caps!!!! HA. What a joke.

kanye is missing the point here.

its not that he came on late.

its that the show was a peice of shit.

if a band came on two hours late....but said somthing in the lines of "hey...sorry we're late...thanks for sticking around....we're about to totally make the wait worth it"

and then played their hearts out with an amazing show... no one would care..and it would be a memorable moment.

kanye's show no matter how on time it may have been would have been horrible. it was a peice of crap that only teenage girls would find enjoyable.