Jambands.ca

do not call list. was: today's the day

phishtaper

Worked, for me for both home and cell phone. But to be honest this isn't really that terrific. Newspapers can still call, anyone whith whom you are already a client can call (this is my biggest sourse of calls in the first place) and campaigners can still call.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a lot of people are getting a whole lot of additional calls after putting themselves on the DNCL. Anyone experiencing that? I never signed up, so can't gauge for myself.

They just did an 'expose' on 16:9 (Global 'investigative news' program) where they were appalled to learn that the numbers from the DNCL are being handed over to telemarketers. Ummm .. how is a telemarketer supposed to know that you are on the Do Not Call List if they don't have access to the list? Psychic power?

Abuses should be cracked down on hard, though.

so, how's this working out for y'all?

I registered my home and cell number the day this started. I have noticed a decrease in the calls to my home...but Captain Bob still calls me offering me an "almost free" cruise to the Caribbean. I think my cell number was on the list given to the telemarketers because now I am getting calls on it that I didn't before.

Do-not-call list made situation 'worse,' says group

Updated Thu. Jan. 15 2009 10:36 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

After its launch last September, Canadians added more than 2.7 million phone numbers to the national do-not-call list.

But now, with nearly 6 million numbers registered, many Canadians who signed up are feeling duped because they're receiving more telemarketing calls than ever before.

That's because the do-not-call list may have gotten into the wrong hands.

To access the list, a telemarketer simply has to go to the National Do Not Call List website, enter the appropriate information and pay a small fee.

The problem is, anyone can pose as a telemarketer and obtain the list. If they're willing to break the rules, they could then call the numbers, which are all recent.

And if that list makes its way to a telemarketer outside Canada, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to stop them from calling Canadian numbers.

Eleanor Friedland, vice-president of the Consumers Council of Canada, said the situation is "now worse than it was before."

"If you don't have somebody checking up on it, how do you know it's working or how do you know bad guys aren't taking advantage of it," Friedland told CTV.ca on Thursday.

"We want to make certain that whatever loopholes exist are filled."

She said the CRTC needs more power to enforce the new rules.

"It should be fully staffed and the money has to be there to pay staff if that's what has to happen to check up on it," Friedland said.

"Otherwise, what's the point of putting in something that's to protect consumers if you don't watch out for the bad guys."

The CRTC says that the do-not-call registry has been a success and that an increase in unwanted calls cannot be absolutely attributed to the registry.

Lynne Fancy of the CRTC told CTV.ca that they are seeing "positive feedback from Canadians, that they have actually seen a reduction in the number of calls."

"In terms of an increase of calls . . . telemarketers can obtain calling lists from a wide variety of different sources, and these sources are unrelated to either the CRTC or the national do-not-call list," she added.

But the list has no shortage of critics.

Michael Geist, a law professor at the University of Ottawa and prominent national commentator on technology, says the do-not-call list is so flawed he likes to call it the "do-not-hesitate-to-call-list."

He said the list of exemptions -- which include registered charities, political parties and candidates, and newspapers selling subscriptions -- is so extensive that there aren't many organizations forced to abide by the new rules.

"In many instances the calls haven't stopped because the law permits those organizations to continue to make the calls," he said.

Geist also said jurisdiction flaws have provided a clear loophole for telemarketers.

"We've seen almost from the very outset, organizations set up shop outside the country and call using either automated calls, robocalls or just regular calls coming from outside Canada -- which is beyond the CRTC's jurisdiction," Geist told CTV.ca.

The CRTC maintains that they will take action against those misusing the do-not-call registry.

"Any telemarketer can access that list, but if anyone is found to be misusing the list, then we will be taking action," Fancy said.

When asked what actions the CRTC would take against telemarketers overseas, Fancy replied: "The CRTC will take all the complaints we receive seriously and will conduct investigations and if we find an organization or person is misusing the list, then we will take the actions we can do.

"We have the right to impose penalties."

John Lawford, counsel at Public Interest Advocacy Centre in Ottawa told CTV.ca that the CRTC can impose fines of up to $15,000 per call against a company or up to $1,500 per call against an individual.

But he also said fines could be as low as one cent per call.

More than a year ago, Geist called for a "mutual recognition" approach between Canada and the U.S., which also has a do-not-call list.

The law would prevent anyone in the U.S. or Canada to call numbers on either do-not-call list.

Still, that wouldn't stop calls coming from overseas.

Geist said even domestically, the CRTC has been inundated with complaints.

He was so fed up with the "designed to fail" program that he set up his own website www.ioptout.ca, which allows Canadians to tell exempted organizations that they don't want to be contacted.

"From the CRTC level, they've got to accelerate some of the complaints, hand out significant fines where appropriate and send a strong message to the market that this is a law with some teeth and the CRTC stands ready to enforce it," he said.

we have some assholes who keep calling and asking us about the warranty for our vehicle. once d_rawk said he was recording it and they said they would take us off the list. then they called again and he told them not to call again. then they called again and he cursed at them.

soooo annoying.

don't even pick it up if the number is 1-234-567-8900 or anything obvious...

Included are numbers like 000-000-0000, or calls only showing 'Iowa', or 'California' instead of an actual number on the display, these are the most annoying as they'll call upwards half a dozen times, varying from 5am to 5pm. A lot of the time if I don't answer and then just hang up (if I'm home), my machine gets loaded with silence, hang ups or the always annoying fax.

we have some assholes who keep calling and asking us about the warranty for our vehicle.

That's the one I keep getting on my cell phone!

For any telemarketing call, at the conclusion of the phone call you just have to say "Please remove me from your calling list" and by law they have to do it. It won't take that long to get rid of the calls,

Sean

But what if it's just a recording? Do you actually press the number to talk to someone? Then I would worry that's it's someone hacking into my phone line and using my long distance and getting my passwords from my computer and sleeping in my bed! The madness! Where does it end?

Sorry about that. I had dental surgery today and the drugs haven't wore off. I wish I were at work. Nobody would mess with me today!!!

I got the fifteenth second warning that my vehicle warranty is going to expire... but it did two years ago... what do I do?!?!?!?!? Oh no.

fuck off

I wish these idiots would get a real job. Who the fuck is calling back and giving them money often enough to warrant the continuance of this bunk?

So frustrating.

I got the fifteenth second warning that my vehicle warranty is going to expire.

I get those calls, too. There's only one problem: I don't own a car. I've never owned a car. (And the warning that I've heard goes like "...your warranty may have expired...", which is kind of slimy, and is obviously a dodge to get people to think that it's actually the warranty company calling, even though it's not.)

Aloha,

Brad