Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

One piece of news that emerged during the hearing is that the transit union is having some difficulty getting union members out on to picket lines' date=' though they must do picket duty to collect strike pay. Mr. Larkin testified that only about 200 of the 2,300 members are showing up for duty on the picket line.[/quote']

SOLIDARITY!

Not surprising given that only 1,300 of the 2,300 union members voted whether or not to strike in the first place. (numbers extracted from the union website Mr. Dinghy linked to)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in both Ottawa and toronto and I disagree can'o'phish. The ttc is much better than Ottawa's transit system in my opinion. It's not the drivers fault but when I lived and worked in ottawa a 10 minute drive would take me 2 buses and 50 minutes to get to work by transit. In toronto a 15 minute drive takes me 10-20 minutes by transit.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to "commute time"; I was referring to general mood on the TTC, which I've found borderline hostile many times, both passengers & drivers...many times I would exit before my stop so I wouldn't have to listen to people arguing, yelling, pushing or just snarling...

Unless the snow is really coming down I'm on my bike and only use my car once or twice a week...and my commute time is always quicker :content:

Labour minister orders transit vote

Federal Labour Minister Rona Ambrose has ordered a supervised vote for striking OC Transpo union members on the City of Ottawa’s last contract offer.

Ambrose made the decision late Wednesday afternoon, putting in motion a vote by 2,300 bus drivers, dispatchers and mechanics. The vote must be held by Jan. 9.

Aloha,

Brad

Part of me thinks that if I were the head of the union, I'd call for that vote to happen as soon as possible (e.g., today, Friday, Jan. 2, 2009). If the head of the union believes that the membership will overwhelmingly reject the offer, the vote will flip things right back at Mayor O'Brien; on the other hand, if the membership accepts the offer, then the strike will at least be over, albeit at the cost of the union head having lost some face.

Are there any heady (or non-heady) rides available to Irene's tonight?

Aloha,

Brad

Part of me thinks that if I were the head of the union, I'd call for that vote to happen as soon as possible (e.g., today, Friday, Jan. 2, 2009).

Do you know how hard it is for the 2300 union members to arrange for car-pools to get to that vote? :)

Voting day Thursday

The bottom line is family life. Family, family, family. If we let this go through, it's the end of you and your family, it's the end of the union, it's the end of everything. That is what (management) wants. They want control of you. We have a little bit of that control, and they want to turn our system upside down.

Aloha,

Brad

I have a question but I think only rubber might be able to answer it. What is a no vote considered? If you don't vote, does it get counted as a vote IN FAVOR of, AGAINST or not counted at all.

In other words, if only 1300 vote again, will the other 1000 get counted as votes to keep striking or to stop striking (or just not be counted at all)...

how could a non-vote be counted as a vote in favour or against?

If the 50% figure is a percentage of the membership rather than the total number of votes cast, maybe? (That is, a constitution might require that a contract only be accepted if more than half of the union's toal number of members vote in favour of it. So if only 49% of the members voted, even if they all voted in favour of it, the contract would be rejected.)

(I don't think the union is set up that way, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be.)

Aloha,

Brad

The reason I'm wondering is that only 1300 of the strikers originally decided to vote. Now, there may be some borderline people that either don't care either way or just don't want to put in the effort to vote (especially if they have to go somewhere to do it and can't get there). So if the case were that if you don't vote, that means you want to go back to work, that would force those that are really dedicated to the strike to head out to vote. If, however, a non-vote is considered a vote to keep striking or isn't counted, then I think it's much more likely that the same 1000 or so that didn't vote last time (or others), might also not vote this time.

I wonder about the post or article on here where someone, velvet I think, talked about the mob mentality and it got me thinking that if a non-vote were considered a vote to go back to work, that would force the union members to actually take a good look at what's going on, at the offer on the table, and would lead to much fairer and more realistic results. I also believe that people can change when they are part of a group and will exhibit different behaviors than otherwise, probably because it's easy to feel empowered when you have lots of other folks to feel it with you but when it's just you, it's not so easy. Also, Ollie, I agree with what you had said to that in that we are all responsible for our actions but I have observed riot-like behavior and it does change people, even if it brings out their true selves, people do act differently for whatever reason while a part of a mob (my opinion).

Bottom line: I figure that if the case were that a non-vote is a vote to go back to work, there is a higher chance that the buses will come back then if the vote doesn't count or is considered a vote to keep striking. This is from observations such as 1300/2300 voting in the first place and ~200/2300 picketing. Doesn't show all that much effort being put into it all from the majority but if forced to go back to work unless they vote otherwise, I think we'd either see the effort that should be there or we'd see some buses rolling down the road.

Even shorter version: It's easy to avoid doing something if you don't absolutely have to do it but it's not so easy when that's not the case and you have to put thought into something and make a decision from it, good or bad.

I want the buses back :(

Edited by Guest