Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

Yet another idealistic idea: have the head of OC Transpo (maybe the whole top level of its management), the mayor, and the members of transport committee be compensated, it whole or in part, based on ridership, in effect paying them a commission (some fraction of a cent, say) for every OC Transpo rider (or sold ticket, or sold monthly or yearly pass) in a given period of time. And of course, with a strike on, there wouldn't be any riders, so that part of their compensation would drop to zero.

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder: if Mayor O'Brien (or Alan Mercier) didn't have a car' date=' would the strike still be on?

[/quote']

agreed. And the mayor doesn't have to drive to work every day either. it's a short walk for him.

In other cities (e.g. Toronto) the transit system is run by a separate authority, and not directly by the city as well. I think that would also make a difference.

That's the way it used to be...then along came amalgamation.

Hard to believe that both the OC & York strikes are still unresolved.

What are the major issues that seem to be impossible for either side to negotiate on? Scheduling seems to be one of the main ones. What are the other main issues?

I have no compassion for the striking TAs at York. They've used their own students as "hostages" and if it is not resolved soon they've destroyed a year of studies for many and that's just the immediate impact...long term will follow and leads to more problems...

Which may take up to fourteen days due to a recalcitrant NDP.

My grad apps are gone tomorrow because it will be too late to begin new "winter term" classes. Leaves me one class short a four year degree regardless of whether or not I get to finish the other four that I'm halfway through.

It's pretty sweet.

Edited by Guest

For example, I could see those people given a task once a month (or once a week, or both, with the weekly tasks being easy ones, and the monthly tasks harder ones) that they have to complete without the use of their (or their families') vehicles. The task would be randomly chosen, and would be the equivalent of an errand:

Go grocery shopping with a toddler or infant and no stroller. Oh, wait ... that one is better suited to the knobs at STO.

Sorry to hear about the problems the two different strikes have caused certain individuals on the Board. I support organized labour and there right to strike. I feel that almost most times strikes could be adverted and rarely is it job class issues. I feel that Mangement for the most part is shady whether it is government or Private Sector. i don't think Government can just start odering every labour group back to work or somehow making them Essential Services.

Also how much is being saved for ther Budgets with these Strikes continuing?

i think your second sentence is much more in tune with the reality of many people than the first.

Also, it's not an essential service, as determined by a bunch of people (Industrial Relations Board I think). But that doesn't mean the workers can't be legislated back to work.

Or perhaps the city isn't running as smoothly as I (a vehicle owner) percieve.

Probably has more to do with not having to commute in rush hour every morning and every afternoon.

I wonder if the feds sudden interest in ending the stalemate has to do with Obama's visit in a few weeks.

Doesn't the fact that the city is still operating relatively smoothly after 50 days prove that OC Transpo is not an essential service?

I think the fact that nobody's died (yet), or is reported to have died, as a result of the buses not running is the reason OC Transpo isn't considered to be an essential service. (In other words, the "essential" criterion is applied to individuals, as opposed to the city as a whole, and specifically to individuals being in imminent danger. By that criterion, public transit is very different from, say, ambulance services or the services provided by police or fire departments.)

Aloha,

Brad