Jambands.ca

How was the Super Bowel of Music?

kung

It was a really good show. I think my highlights were San Jose, and Jellyfish. Oh yeah, it's all about the Black Clouds, that was a killer version, and it's been a long time since I've seen that one played. What a crazy start to the show with Powderfinger, Miss Browns Tea House, and Jellyfish. But it was all good. I'm not a fan of Tom Sawyer, mainly because I don't really dig Rush at all, but it was a pretty cool version, some crazy keyboard jam action going on. Their keyboard player is the shit!

All in all, it wasn't the best cheese show I've seen, they were much more searching out the darker space jams, as opposed to the happier mountain girls and Rivertrance kinda stuff that I prefer. But that being said it was still a great show.

Thanks to Shain for the Photo pass, hopefully I'll have some good photos to share in the next day or two.

Cheese Out.

"My Brain is just a jellyfish, in the ocean of my head"

ugh work...

Hey hey! I have to say, as someone who'd never seen SCI and is really only knows a few of their tunes, I was quite impressed last night! My impression of them going in was that their improvisations might be a bit too "busy" for my liking, but I thought they left a lot of space for each other when soloing and that their jams built very well. I'd definitely check them out again.

As somebody who IS a big Rush fan, I thought they pulled off "Tom Sawyer" pretty well. They definitely had the form down and got the tricky bits in the solo where they drop in the odd bars, which is what most bands covering that tune either fuck up or just don't bother with, so I was impressed with that. And they even did a variation on the ending that Rush does live (the recorded version just fades) so it was obvious they've done some homework. But it did make me think of something we were chatting with burtman about during the break - I was saying it was cool that they opened with "Powerfinger" which it definitely was, and burtman made the point that it was a pretty typical "hey look, we're in Canada and we're playing Neil Young" thing to do. I wasn't sure I agreed at the time, but when they ended the set with a Rush tune, I was right there.

Still an excellent set, and in fact I thought "I Wish" (Stevie Wonder tune) was actually the best cover they did all night - gotta love da funk! [smile]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

it was a pretty typical "hey look, we're in Canada and we're playing Neil Young" thing to do. I wasn't sure I agreed at the time, but when they ended the set with a Rush tune, I was right there.

I suppose... I respect that though, I think it's kinda cool that they were trying to give us a bit of a local treat. I think that's actually the first time I recall them doing that up here. They also wished us happy thanksgiving. I didn't know they played any Neil, but they do Tom Sawyer from time to time, that's great to hear that they did a good job on it, and have done their homework.

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

they do Tom Sawyer from time to time, that's great to hear that they did a good job on it, and have done their homework.

Yeh - I was gonna say also that the drummer is obviously no Neil Peart when it comes to his fills, but then again I don't know if Neil could handle playing those badass conga-and-kit-at-the-same-time grooves, so it all works out I suppose! [Wink]

FYI speaking of Rush, the new live DVD & CD comes out in one week! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

- M.

Oh yeah, those guys didn't know it was our holiday weekend until the aftershow conversations.

We got to go backstage after the show in Montreal and mingle a little. We spent some time chatting with Keith, and then Bill walked over to see what was so interesting.

We had some good chats. Keith gave us a little history on when he joined the band (10 years ago?) and realized that it was an all or nothin' gig.

I told Keith about GTB, and how they were playing an aftershow gig around the corner and that he should head over. However, they were leaving for Toronto that night. I'm not sure how nero got into the converstations, but I sure wish we had some discs with us!

I'm looking forward to SCI's disc now. They seemed very excited about it. Bill promised me that he'd send a couple our way. *fingers crossed*

I had a great time. They played better than I thought they would to tell you the truth, only wasting time with two new songs throughout the entire set. The covers were appreciated, as I loved 'Powderfinger' just because it is one of my favourite Neil songs. They didn't do it that well though. The Roll Over->Tom Sawyer was great and the encore featuring a killer San Jose was just perfect as well.

I thought the first set blew the second set away, with the 'I Wish' and a killer 'Jellyfish' running the show and the only highlight of the first part of the second set was a great opener, 'It Is What it Is.

Guess that's it. great weekend, time to school.

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

They played better than I thought they would to tell you the truth, only wasting time with two new songs throughout the entire set.

Why would you consider it "wasting time" when a band plays new material? Was Neil's Greendale show a "waste of time" because the whole show was made up of new material?

Yeah, but is the album shit, or is every single song on the album shit?

I mean, I can think of a lot of shitty albums full of good songs - take, for instance, The Grateful Dead's "Go To Heaven". Great songs, when performed live. But a fucking terrible album to listen to. Just one example from the top of my head...

Plus, how are new songs to develop into something more enjoyable if they're never played live? Especially since, IIRC, all of the material on the new SCI album hasn't been "road-tested" for several tours as most jambands have a tendency to do?

hey - i've only seen the Cheese once before in 2001, but I thought this show kicked ass.

I love the amount of musical territory they cover in the course of a show.

Now it is true that i may not find myself humming too many Cheese tunes throughout the day, and no they probably will never write legendary songs - or legendary albums, however, they are a blast to see live, Michael Kang is f*%cking awesome, in fact every player really impressed me on Monday night.

Needless to say, next time the Cheese are anywhere near Toronto - I'll be there!!! [big Grin]

Archived