Jambands.ca

Railroad Earth - Toronto date

phunkyb

Not sure if I'll make it to this but would like to. Bunch of stuff going on right around then.

I got to hang out with them in 2001 (I think it was) at a bar in NYC. SCI had just played Central Park w/ Robert Randolph and somebody gave us a flyer to a show after. The show was in a place that was smaller than the bottom floor of PJC. Ended up downstairs in the basement with them after the show. They said they had only been together (as a band) for 4 months at that point. Good folks!

• 2 months later...

Win tix:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/cgi-bin/EH/EventHandler.cgi?Actn=Entry_Form&Fnm=event242&User_ID=contests

Band Buzz - Railroad Earth

WIN TICKETS!

Enter to WIN a pair of tickets to see Railroad Earth, August 9 at Lee’s Palace, 19+

Railroad Earth’s music is driven by the remarkable songs of front-man, Todd Sheaffer, and is delivered with seamless arrangements and superb musicianship courtesy of all six band members. They can jam with the best of them, but they’re not a jam band. They’re bluegrass influenced, but they use drums and amplifiers (somewhat taboo in the bluegrass world). RRE bristles about being lumped into any one “scene.†Not out of animosity for any other artists: it’s just that they don’t find the labels very useful. According to fiddle player Tim Carbone, “We use unique acoustic instrumentation, but we’re definitely not a bluegrass band – so that doesn’t fit. And I think the term ‘jam band’ probably refers more to the fans than to the band. I think these fans just like live music.†When the band does elect to “comment†on a song via an extended improvisation, they really cook – and have received the approval of no less than Grateful Dead bass player Phil Lesh, who knows a thing or two about jamming.

To check out more, click railroadearth.com

Deadline for entries is Sunday, July 26 at 11pm. One entry per household.

wow. I haven't seen this much excitement for a Toronto show since The Slip still existed.

I saw them a few years back in philly, and they were pretty good. Not jaw dropping, holy shit must attend show, but good. I'm somewhat puzzled by the overwhelming response from the board to this band. Again, not that they don't deserve some props, but they're just a decent jam-grass band.

And for whoever asked, they sound like an acoustic based jam band who's main influence is bluegrass. Very, very danceable as well.