Jambands.ca

Hold Steady, Toronto, Sept 27

AD

• 2 weeks later...

You'll get lots of repeats (mostly from Stay Positive) but they'll switch up the older stuff pretty well for two nights. If you like Almost Killed Me or Seperation Sunday stuff- two nights is the way to go.

I tried to find setlists from consecutive nights from this tour, but couldn't.

If you do both nights, you'll have two massive nights followed by a crushing low!

S

Checked out The Hold Steady for the first time after that. I only caught about three or four songs, but I will say that they were the band that I was least into throughout my rothbury experience. Not that I wouldn't give them another chance, but they just didn't grab me. One of the tunes that I heard had a cool melody, but the rest...meh. I think I was expecting them to sound more like The Drive-by-Truckers. I thought the lead singer came off as preachy/simple while still managing to be pretentious. Oh well. Perfect antidote?

That "someone" is laaaame!

Not sure why that person would think just because they played a tour with DBT, they would sound like DBT. I heard nothing but great things about their set and that comes from people I BEGGED to skip Yonder Mountain's set to catch some Hold Steady for the first time.

A lot of bands play incredible music. Not as many play incredible rock n' roll shows.

I'll bite. That someone would be me.

It's just an opinion. I gave them a chance, and if you read my quote above it said that I would give them another. I had 'thought' I had heard from somewhere that they sounded similar to the DBT's. The fact that they didn't had nothing to do with why I didn't like their show. The 'few' songs that I heard did nothing for lame old me. The singer kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But if you're into it, then great. I love an 'incredible rock show' just as much as the next guy. Their portion of the show that I caught was not that.

But hey, enjoy.

I thought the lead singer came off as preachy

I say thank god someone is. Rock and roll is rooted in the preacher to congregation call and response and to me too many jambands have taken this out of the mix opting for an introverted approach that can at times be frustrating. You listen to Phish in interviews for instance and these are sharp individuals who have interesting viewpoints, and sometimes I want to hear from the artists and not just have the abstraction of their music speak for them. Just my .02.