Best of Bluesfest 2009

Northern Wish

Top 5:

1. Okervill River

2. Drive By Truckers

3. CR Avery and the Sojourners

4. Steve Earle

5. Paolo Nutini

Honorable mentions: Deep Dark Woods, CAKE, Matisyahu, The Low Anthem, The Skydiggers and The National.

Best covers:

1. Jeff Beck- A Day in the Life

2. Deer Tick- Breakdown

3. Sista Monica- Soulshine

Anyone else care to chime in?

my favourites this year were:

market:

kid koala

cj chenier

george clinton

site:

oumou sangare

matisahu

DBT

last 30 mins of KISS

cake

but nothing blew me away this year. some things i only saw half sets of but liked.

really wish i had gone to ornette :( sounds like that was the show to see. jazz at bluesfest, who knew :P

Did anyone other than Ludacris do a MJ tribute.

why yes' date=' israel & new breed did a little tease of 'can't stop' :D

[/quote']

LIVE did the same (I swear I was just walking by though!)

I was only there Wed, Thurs and Sat.. My highlights:

- KISS

- The Low Anthem

- Drive By Truckers

sharon jones said a few words about MJ but i don't think they did any musical tribute.

they did do a tribute, but it was a gospel song at the end of the set and not a jacko song. were you not standing right behind me taking pictures of my head meggo? :)

Favourite shows:

Black Mountain

Dead Weather

Toots and the Maytals

Oumou Sangare

Cake

Iron and Wine

Les Claypool

Blue Rodeo

Amen to most of those. Toots, Black Mountain, Dead Weather all blew me away with their intensity, as did Sharon Jones (Claypool sounded cool too). Femi Kuti and Xavier Rudd were fun, and Girl Talk was amazing just for the crowd reaction.

Here's mine

1. Okkervil River

2. Mother Mother

3. Drive By Truckers

4. Neko Case

5. Toots & The Maytals

6. New Mastersounds

7. Deer Tick

8. CR Avery and the Sojourners

9. The Black Keys

Best covers:

1. Ben Harper - Under Pressure

2. Ben Harper - Good Times Bad Times

3. Jeff Beck- A Day in the Life

4. Deer Tick- Breakdown

Alberta Cross was the best show I saw at bluesfest. They completely blew me away. Sounds like most folks were at Kid Koala at the same time so don't miss these guys next time you get a chance. I'm betting it definitely won't be the Rainbow though...

All in all, this was my favourite bluesfest yet - the first time I went every day. I really hope the late night market shows become the norm. DBT exceeded my very high expecations. Deer tick dissapointed due to late start and bad sound at the beginning. I was likely looking forward to them the most, hence the dissapointment but they were much better by the end of the show. I certainly agree with the comments of their Tom Petty cover, that was great.

Dead Weather, Black Keys, Deep Dark Woods, the National, I&W, Low Anthem, Okkervil were also highlights.

Kudos and many many thanks to all the organizers for an amazing year.

Deer tick dissapointed due to late start and bad sound at the beginning.

They were probably hurting... those boys gave giver a whole new name in Toronto on Friday night. Chugging JD outta the bottle and kicking a stage full of broken beer bottles around. At the end of the night John tried to crowd surf to the back of the room and got dropped so hard i thought for a split second someone should see if he was ok... until he jumped up, yelling 'FUCK YEAH'!!

Sorry that they were dissapointing to you Ottawians... they were the furthest thing from in Toronto!

Well, that was just me and again, I've been dying to see these guys for almost three years. But yeah, John M looked (and sounded, even for him) extremely hungover. Funny enough he said at the Ottawa show that he would normally crowd surf but the security gap between stage and crowd looked to big and he would likely crash...I guess he remembered something from the night before!

Deer tick dissapointed due to late start and bad sound at the beginning.

They were probably hurting... those boys gave giver a whole new name in Toronto on Friday night. Chugging JD outta the bottle and kicking a stage full of broken beer bottles around. At the end of the night John tried to crowd surf to the back of the room and got dropped so hard i thought for a split second someone should see if he was ok... until he jumped up, yelling 'FUCK YEAH'!!

Sorry that they were dissapointing to you Ottawians... they were the furthest thing from in Toronto!

That would give credence to my buddy's story about running into the drummer after the show in Ottawa and him being extremely incoherent.

Tyler Kealey played a verse and chorus from Billie Jean.

Girl Talk sampled Thriller and some other Jacksons stuff.

I also heard some other band playing MJ while walking by the Subway stage.

I'd say the MJ tributes were plentiful and it was nice to see.

• 1 month later...