Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw one of my favorite uses of a video screen during Arcade Fire last night. When they started No Cars Go and the scene on the screen was a 57 Chevy alone in a drive in lot watching a black and white screen of live band member footage.

I just thought it was amazing, simple and beautiful all at once.

The see through mesh that the screen was made of also made for some interesting overlays between lights, live action and sceneries.

That was well worth the 5 year wait to see Arcade Fire.

Getting way way ahead of ourselves here: the new 2011 replacement dates for U2 have been announced.

They have July 7,10,12, and 13 off in this area:

Rescheduled 2011 U2 Tour Dates:

May 21 - Denver, CO @ Invesco Field (formerly June 12, 2010)

May 24 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Rice Eccles Stadium (formerly June 3, 2010)

June 1 - Edmonton, AB @ Commonwealth Stadium (formerly June 23, 2010)

June 4 - Seattle, WA @ Qwest Field (formerly June 20, 2010)

June 7 - Oakland, CA @ McAfee Coliseum (formerly June 16, 2010)

June 17 - Anaheim, CA @ Angels Stadium (formerly June 6, 2010)

June 18 - Anaheim, CA @ Angels Stadium (formerly June 7, 2010)

June 26 - East Lansing, MI @ Spartan Stadium at MSU (formerly June 30, 2010)

June 29 - Miami, FL @ Sun Life Stadium (previously Dolphin Stadium) (formerly July 9, 2010)

July 5 - Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field (formerly July 6, 2010)

July 8 - Montreal, QC @ Hippodrome (formerly July 16 ,2010)

July 9 - Montreal, QC @ Hippodrome (formerly July 17, 2010)

July 11- Toronto, ON @ Rogers Centre (formerly July 3, 2010)

July 14 - Philadelphia, PA @ Lincoln Financial Field (formerly July 12, 2010)

July 20 - East Rutherford, NJ @ New Meadowlands Stadium (formerly July 19, 2010)

July 23 - Minneapolis, MN @ TCF Bank Stadium (formerly June 27, 2010)

Steve Dawson’s Mississippi Sheiks Project is the find of Bluesfest for me so far. The Mississippi Sheiks were around in the '30s and are most famous for writing the song Sittin' On Top Of The World. The band featured guests Alvin Youngblood Hart, Del Ray and Jim Burns (?). High quality, "real deal" kind of stuff. I can't think of anyone on this board that wouldn't love this band. They are at the Barney Danson Theatre tonight at 9 PM.

Also had my first Bluesfest bizarro moment when I accidently caught the end of Aterciopelados in the Black Sheep Tent. They are a rock band from Colombia. I think ALL the local Colombians were there having their own little party, completely oblivious to the Arcade Fires of the world. Outside of the fact that we were under a BIG UGLY TENT IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER the atmosphere was great and the music was intense. I love Bluesfest for this kind of stuff.

Also caught a bit of the comedy on the big screen outside the tent. Not a bad way to kill some time in between bands really. Don't bring your kids around though, it was incredibly raunchy.

But yeah, that tent fucking sucks. Worst idea ever.

I love live music because of moments like these- I found the Sheiks Project to be boring as hell and walked away to grab some grub.

One mans trash......

My fav find so far was Mohawk Lodge. Kick ass rock n roll in the vein of the Constantines.

Also last nights comedy show was called the X Rated Comedy show, so raunch was to be expected.

Edited by Guest

Tonight, I'm planning on starting off with Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba (Black Sheep tent, 6:15pm), but I'd like to catch some of Lukas Nelson (Claridge stage, 6:00pm), too.

I'm also looking forward to Steve Winwood (Claridge stage, 8:00pm), and then probably Plants & Animals (Subway stage, 9:30pm), with some enough Santana (MBNA stage, 9:30pm) mixed in.

Aloha,

Brad

I'd love to write them about that stupid white Bluesfest billboard that blocks sight lines at the Subway stage- its right beside the soundboard. I assume its to block sight for the freeloaders on the pathways- but why not just make the fence solid and let the paying customers at the back see. Especially when lawnchair nation takes over, as evidenced at Levon on Sunday night.

The one good thing about the short Swell Season set, was that Glen had time to come over and sing on I Shall Be Released.

Yeah, the solution she hinted at was reasonable - don't schedule a quiet-ish act at a time or on a stage where they might get drowned out.

The letter writer needn't provide a solution; she's not a professional festival person. She just has to provide feedback from a consumer standpoint and let the pros do the rest.

My solution is: if it's too loud, you're too old!

Now get away from the front my lawnchair.

Seriously though, they could have had the Swell Season scheduled for a different time, or, even better, had them play in the indoor auditorium, the Ted Danson theatre or whatever it's called.

There was also another letter a couple of days ago, someone complaining about the lack of real blues acts. I'd respond to that complaint by saying that there aren't enough bankable blues acts in the world to fill a 12-day festival.

you guys should definitly check out the old crow on thursday, i wish i could make that drive but im flying at 7am friday so.....not gonna happen. and then derek trucks at 9?!? that would have been sweet for sure.

but do yourself a favour, if you havent heard them ever, go see em, such good showmen too, its like seeing a rockband but instead of marshalls and les pauls its fiddles n banjoes.

Clearly festival organizers are not mathematicians:

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest organizers are advising festival patrons that Steve Winwood will take to the Claridge Homes Stage tonight at 7:45—15 minutes earlier than previously scheduled.

Carlos Santana’s set—previously scheduled for 9:30—will be extended by 15 minutes and will begin at 8:45

Please note: the www.ottawabluesfest.ca website has been updated to indicate these changes

Clearly festival organizers are not mathematicians:

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest organizers are advising festival patrons that Steve Winwood will take to the Claridge Homes Stage tonight at 7:45—15 minutes earlier than previously scheduled.

Carlos Santana’s set—previously scheduled for 9:30—will be extended by 15 minutes and will begin at 8:45

Please note: the www.ottawabluesfest.ca website has been updated to indicate these changes

what the hell are they doing? the site update is a half-hour off. holy moly guacamole!

correction is out:

Carlos Santana’s set—previously scheduled for 9:30—will be extended by 15 minutes and will begin at 9:15