Jambands.ca

Official Ottawa Bluesfest 2010 Thread (first post contains current lineup)

bouche

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those unfamiliar with Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes; he is to Bruce Springsteen as Ronnie Hawkins was to The Band.

I was trying to remmebr this analogy last night when talking to trevor, but it wouldn't come to me...

anyway, really dug Southside Johny last night. the image I have of him in my head is from the '70 or '80s, so I wasn't sure I was at the right stage at first. he kept me away from santana, whose set I had planned to see (at least part of it). but given how mellow the scene was at the hard rock stage, I just hung out there.

i left at 10:45, arrived at plants and animals just as they were finishing their set, then caught a bit of santana as i was heading out.

looking forward to tonight, particularly Alejandro.

Arcade Fire ruined me for Plants and Animals tonight. I have listened to P&A constantly in the past 10 months and my hopes were too high maybe. All in all it was merely a meh.

Well, at least you had a fan, even if you didn't become one. ;)

For me, it was the P&A show I enjoyed the most out of the four or five times that I've seen them, but I find that their live show spends too much time in thunderous sound territory; if they'd back off a bit, I think I'd enjoy their show more.

The highlight for me yesterday was Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba; it was one of those shows where the fun the musicians were having playing, listening to, and dancing to, the music was severely infectious.

Tonight, Chiwoniso (Black Sheep tent, 6:00pm) looks like a good way to start the night off. Old Crow Medicine Show (MBNA stage, 7:00pm) is a must-see for me, with my night capped off by Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band (Hard Rock stage, 9:30pm).

Aloha,

Brad

I forgot all about Alejandro Escovedo! He puts on a really good show. But where is the Lebreton Gallery? I can't find it on the site map.

I'll be curious to hear about this show, as he's opening for Blue Rodeo at the Molson Amp next month (and I'm going). I haven't gotten around to listening to Escoveda just yet.

Damn, this year's Bluesfest is rammed with wicked tunes!! I'm jealous.

If rock 'n' roll had it's own Mount Rushmore, Steve Winwood and Carlos Santana's faces might be on it.

He knows there's only 4 faces on Mt Rushmore, right?

Hehe. Of course it's just hyperbole to make a point but I still thought it was dumb. Tough crowd.

I've been listening to Alejandro since the '80s when he was in the True Believers. you can't go wrong with him. Southside Johny was actually shilling for him last night.

he's been called the godfather of the alt-country movement. was in the nuns (punk pand) and rank and file.

a brilliant songwriter and performer.

can also rock it out. Buick McKane was his side punk/rock band for a number of years.

his bands usually include a cello on stage, but it doesn't looke like that is the case on his current tour with "the sensitive boys."

LeBreton Gallery is where Ornette Coleman played last year. It's a heckuva unique room to see a show, what with the stage squished in amongst a room full of armored tanks. I'm gonna see if my laminate will get me in for the first half-hour, then nothing but DT for me.

Another scheduling change, since it was released and never corrected since:

Tonight's line-up on the Subway stage: Islands – 6:30 p.m., Woodhands – 8:15 p.m., Marianas Trench – 9:30 p.m.

No, it's Islands tonight. Confirmed. Nick Thorburn. Ex of the Unicorns.

Bluesfest fucked up the schedule and name.

I want them to issue a news release to clarify it like they did yesterday for Santana but they're just a small Cdn indie band (as is Woodhands and the headliner) so BF probably doesn't care.