Jambands.ca

Vintage CCM

Dr. J

Hope you'll all excuse a moment of obvious self-promotion.

This spring (May) I will be publishing a book entitled Canada Cycle & Motor: The CCM Story. It's a history of the company that made bicycles, automobiles and eventually sports equipment.

In anticipation of the book, I've just launched a website www.vintageccm.com. Not much going on over there at the moment, but I hope to update frequently.

Please pop on over and encourage anyone interested in Canadian history to do the same. Would love to see you.

Thanks for the moment. Have a great 2011 everyone!

Thanks Todd, it's been a long time coming.

I think many of us have a CCM memory. For my brother it was a bike like the one Kev has there. For me it was my first pair of Tacks.

Larry, damn right I'll make certain you get some books my friend.

• 4 months later...

Velvet: you can order a copy online here or you can mail a cheque to the address listed at that same link. By the end of the week, it should also be listed on Amazon.

If you prefer to have a book in hand before shelling out your hard-earned cash, the Ottawa chapter of Bicycles For Humanity has copies for sale and will have a booth at the upcoming Ottawa Bicycle Festival (June 4) and also at Westfest on June 11.

Hope that helps. I think this post has enough links to qualify me for the bradm award of the day.

Velvet: you can order a copy online here or you can mail a cheque to the address listed at that same link. By the end of the week, it should also be listed on Amazon.

If you prefer to have a book in hand before shelling out your hard-earned cash, the Ottawa chapter of Bicycles For Humanity has copies for sale and will have a booth at the upcoming Ottawa Bicycle Festival (June 4) and also at Westfest on June 11.

Hope that helps. I think this post has enough links to qualify me for the bradm award of the day.

:thumbup:

Aloha,

Brad

The book has now been published and I have a question. Do local Chapters outlets have the option of stocking what they want or does everything go through head office? POG? Anyone?

You'd be best to speak to the location closest to you, to see if they'd take some on consignment. Tough to get into Chapters as a whole chain, but might try yer local one.

Also, you might give a ring to the World's Biggest Bookstore, downtown Toronto, as they are the closest, within the chain, to thinking for themselves, and really can order what they want.

Good luck with it all,

Dave

:chug:

Thanks, Dave. As you probably know, nationally Chapters will not deal directly with an author, only a publishing or distribution company that already has an account with them. That was why I wondered if the local outlets had the autonomy to stock what they wanted or had to go through head office for everything. Based on what you've said, I'll certainly contact the Ottawa stores since, in part, it's a fundraiser for an Ottawa organization.

My store, one of the large Toronto Indigo shops, has a few books by local authors, so I would figure most should at least have some facet of individuality. Whether they choose to do anything about it, though....who knows.

Heck, I'll mention it to the person who deals with consignment sales at ours. Who knows, right?

:chug:

• 1 year later...

Help. I need some advice.

A year ago when I published the book on CCM I contacted Reebok (they own the rights to the name) to see if they'd be willing to help promote it.

I heard nothing.

Then yesterday I get this note from one of their matketing people wondering what I had in mind.

Funny thing is I didn't have anything in mind.

Now I'm wondering how I should respond.

Does anyone have a great marketing idea/concept that I can pitch to them? Or should I just leave it open and request a meeting to discuss it?

Not sure what to do, but I know it's an opportunity I don't really want to blow.

Reebok has a disctinct opportunity to revive the CCM bicycle brand by offering crank-forward bikes with in-hub gears if they can sell them for considerably less than Electra does AND make more city/commuter-friendly crank-forward classc designs. It could be a hit.

Maybe your book could help the brand image and lead up to a relaunch?

I got the book last year and can vouch that its a really comprehensive history of the company, complete with loads of pictures. Very interesting read. If Reebok is interested in celebrating the history and evolution of the company, your book would definitely be an asset to them.

My assumption is that you'd be interested in connecting for some sort of distribution deal. But perhaps they might be more interested in a licensing deal whereby they would essentially take over. I could see them providing a coupon (or website code) to every buyer of a new CCM bike for your book. Or maybe just for some specific bikes, like the casual comfort ones.

My impression is that adults would get more out of the book than kids. Maybe Reebok would want to approach it that way.

Exciting opportunity!

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Unfortunately, Yours Truly, I don't suspect Reebok is much into bicycle design since they simply licence the CCM name to Canadian Tire. I may well take take up your suggestion with them however.

Kooky: I haven't yet got any books to Sean, but will. Thanks for the courier offer. (James is actually my son - we just both happen to share a great liking for Dan & the Regrets.)

rustle: I will be in touch.

Thanks for the kinds words and excellent suggestions Phishtaper. I will certainly speak to them about the coupon/code idea. It's a good one.

Are Reebok officially looking for ways to sell their equipment, or ways to take advantage of a book? Are they looking for free ideas to steal?

There are alot of things that come to mind here, but I doubt they hadn't already thought of spending money on rebooting the classic CCM. If I have a well-formed thought, I'll send you a PM rather than post it.

Reebok history is even more interesting than CCM history. It's a rich history of family feuds that starts with Adidas, then Puma, then Reebok... If you get a chance, read up on the origins of Adidas, and how the dassler brothers split and their own feuds carried into their entire villages, and down through the family tree. The shoe-story will lead to you Reebok today.