Jambands.ca

Fines for Failing to Recycle

bouche

In Gatineau, they've passed a bylaw that allows the city to hand out fines for people who fail to recycle. I'm indifferent on this. On one hand, people who ignore the recycling program piss me off. One of my old neighbours believed that it was the cities garbage, not hers, so she wasn't going to waste time separating the cities garbage.

On the other hand, if I received a warning (they give out 3) because the crew thought that I had thrown out plastic in my regular garbage, and they've already hauled it away, how would I prove that I hadn't?

Is there a bylaw like this where any of you guys live?

story here

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i save my gravy for bathing

i believe in aluminum recycling and newsprint.

but there is way not enough focus on REDUCTION. there needs to be some sort of positive reduction reinforcement. like, maybe the city gives you $100 a year and then charges you for waste removal tags for your garbage, so if you actually reduce then you get to keep the money. or better yet, a packaging tax.

It's a nice thing to feel good about doing your part but there's a huge difference between deterring and encouraging and fines are nothing but a cash grab deterrent.

Bag tag programs are great, composting initiatives are great, and so are programs that get people to buy fewer wasteful items.

Every garbage day crows get into garbage left out by our 'neighbours' and that's far worse than a couple of cans not being recycled.

These fines will do nothing to improve any sort of standard of living afforded to the people of Gatineau.

It's going to take a city actually being supportive of people in this transitional phase from wasteful to respectful to make any real impact: offering muncipal tax incentives for bulk or non-packaged purchases and more significant focus on supporting local business that helps people be less wasteful or other non-deterrent type of action.

This get tough bullshit never works and I'm amazed by how many fools get roped into thinking it does.

Quit poking around in our garbage!

These fines will do nothing to improve any sort of standard of living afforded to the people of Gatineau.

I don't think that's the point. I think they're mostly passing the responsibility down to the garbage producer.

It will be against the law for Quebec municipalities to send paper and cardboard to landfills starting in January 2013.

I think dumps should sort all garbage in very high teq closed systems . That way nothing gets through and raw products will be the end result at a portion of the cost of initially retrieving the resourse in the first place .there just hasn't been a big enough push to get it done yet.Also bussiness needs to clean up it's contents sold to the consumer . Just another way the little folks pay the bill yet again through labour or $ .

This get tough bullshit never works and I'm amazed by how many fools get roped into thinking it does.

Quit poking around in our garbage!

Ottawa RIDE check leads to 6 impaired driving charges

Police in Ottawa charged six people with impaired driving and suspended the licenses of two dozen others during the annual winter RIDE check.

Ontario Provincial Police officers in the Ottawa region checked a total of 15,940 vehicles from November 26, 2010 to January 2, 2011, as part of the RIDE program, which stands for Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere.

In addition to the six people charged with impaired driving, 24 people had their licenses suspended and had warnings issued for having blood alcohol levels above the legal limit.

Another 343 tickets were issued for other Criminal Code, Highway Traffic Act or Liquor Licence offences, police said.

Across the province, 294 people were charged with impaired driving while more than 850 had their licenses suspended during the month-long blitz.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2011/01/05/ott-ride-check-charges.html#ixzz1ABgWQJMQ

850 out of over 140,000 checked is NOT effective.

NOT.effective.

24 out of nearly 16,000 is NOT effective.

It's passing the buck to say end-users bear no responsibility.

It's passing the buck to say the end users are the only ones to be made responsible via fines for being 'bad'.

We live in a time where the atmosphere is thick with retribution. This is certainly unhealthy.

850 out of over 140,000 checked is NOT effective.

NOT.effective.

24 out of nearly 16,000 is NOT effective.

I think you missed the point. Shocking.

When the RIDE program was started do you think the numbers were maybe a little higher? Perhaps years of harsh enforcement has changed peoples attitude towards drinking and driving?

Say you're driving along and somebody blatantly cuts you off. There's a chance you'll honk your horn, or maybe give the guy a little yell? Now say the guy that cut you off is driving a Harley and sporting a Hells Angels vest. You gonna honk now? Maybe years of harsh punishment (or at least the anecdotal rumours of) will affect your behavior in this situation?

Ah, probably not. What am I saying?