Jambands.ca

Azz Whoopin'

bouche

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well some just think there is a huge difference between a rare, disciplinary smack on the bum and beating of a child.

I hesitate to join this since it is a sensitive subject, but I will never forget driving my Mom to get the wooden spoon. She is the most patient gentle person in the world, but my brother and I learned not to push her to the limit, or our arses would be red from a couple smacks of the spoon. We knew damn well it was our own faults and we learned to listen to her. Sorry if it offends anyone else but a spanking doesn't offend me.

I hesitate to join this since it is a sensitive subject, but I will never forget driving my Mom to get the wooden spoon. She is the most patient gentle person in the world, but my brother and I learned not to push her to the limit, or our arses would be red from a couple smacks of the spoon. We knew damn well it was our own faults and we learned to listen to her. Sorry if it offends anyone else but a spanking doesn't offend me.

The wooden spoon just taught me how to run, hide and get sneakier.

When the wooden spoon came out and I was 'bout to get some smacks I would sneak my hand back there real quick and take it on the knuckles. Hurt more but I'd break the spoon and I knew she wouldn't stab me with the broken spoon or use her hand and hurt it. Sometimes she had back up spoons though.

well some just think there is a huge difference between a rare, disciplinary smack on the bum and beating of a child....but i know that i don't equate the discipline i received with abuse/beating. equating the two seems insulting to those who get beaten.

For the most part I agree with you here phorbesie. And the latter sentence is a good point. However, I'm sure depending on the home environment and temper of the parent that even this has the 'potential' to become a slippery slope. Granted, I was spanked, and for the most part those moments were not as impressionable on me as tone and words. And admittedly, intimidation can be very effective. I just don't think its the 'desired effect' I'm looking for with my kid.

My son is young and pleasant enough that I have been able to hang onto most of my ideals. I still think that for the most part there are other ways of 'disciplining', teaching, or demonstrating to your child that there are real consequences to actions. For me, its more a matter of how I want to approach my child, and the energy I try to promote in the home. I'd like to think that I don't have to scare my kid into respecting me. I know he will no doubt increasingly push my limits as he grows older, and it will be interesting to see how I respond to that challenge. I hope that I can stick to my intentions. But I think its safe to say he'll likely have some sort of issues due to the range of mistakes I'll no doubt make along the way. I just hope they manifest positively, at least to some extent.

you are right, families are different so just cuz it didn't affect me or my siblings or friends adversely, doesn't mean it's the same for all. i guess if a kid really takes it to heart and as an adult thinks it has a negative effect on their own actions decades later, then it has had a negative effect on them. i don't know if the spank would be the sole factor in that though. as you've suggested, my dad could put the fear of god in me simply by a tone of voice and a look - an icy stare that meant ohhhh shit i'd better behave!

i'm not insisting on the use of spankings by any means. if you can avoid it, that's good. i just felt the need to respond (incredulously) that if i'm not appalled by the azz smack, it doesn't equal being a violent child, wife, and pet beater which some here claim. well, hopefully their kids, spouses and pets will behave around me now at least ;) ...also i'm sure your kid is great and i know lots of good parents and kids, plenty on this board too. my "kids these days/back in my day..." rant in crotchety old voice...hmmm maybe i've been hanging out with someone too long :P i hear stories all the time from teachers that make me cringe. lots of kids today are dictators and control their teachers and parents, not the other way around!

anyway, you are a smart and thoughtful poster and your response makes me consider the other view a lot more than "you're nothing but a wife beater and probably drive drunk too" nonsense. thank you.

There's a huge differnce between a beating and that ass whoopin'.

that azz whoopin was disciplinary and a beating is more than that - an act of violence rather than an extreme/violent act.

Thanks to all of you black and white 'it's all wrong' people for helping me solidify my opinions.

Physical discipline is not 100% wrong, not is it 100% right but I certainly won't rule it out if the time comes.

for the most part those moments were not as impressionable on me as tone and words.

I think this is the whole point. I don't remember any actual physical moments, but can remember the atmosphere, tone of voice, and look in the eye. And one devastating comment alone can leave a real mark. It reminds me of the questions around kids and swearing, that it's not the words themselves that are so important, but their delivery and intent.

I keep thinking of that line in Night at the Museum - "Who's evolved?"