Jambands.ca

Watson on Jeopardy! - Feb 14-16

backbacon

It's alot different than a Kasparov v. Deep Blue type thing in chess. I think it's the wording of jeopardy clues, the visual or semantic puns, the use of humour in general, the ability to draw connections between not just one piece of trivia but others, the ability to draw the answer out of the category title or vice versa. I think those are the things obviously humans would have the advantage over. Definitely anything that plays to a slight touch of humour, riddle, semantics of how the ear hears and the eye sees.

Is Watson fed the question via text, does it have to listen to the answer and interpret, or does it have a camera set up next to the human and has to find the answer on the board and convert the image to text? Or a combination of them all?

Does it say the question or write it? Pronunciation could be a stumbling block.

Anyone know answers to my questions?

Is Watson fed the question via text, does it have to listen to the answer and interpret, or does it have a camera set up next to the human and has to find the answer on the board and convert the image to text? Or a combination of them all?

Does it say the question or write it? Pronunciation could be a stumbling block.

Anyone know answers to my questions?

From the PBS NOVA program I gathered that Watson 'reads' the questions. No image to text conversion is required. He answers in voice. Actually understanding his answers is not an issue.

A few things that tripped him up: The clue had '40's in the question. Watson misinterpreted that to mean 1840's.

Another set of clues was asking about the month that certain holidays fell in. From the clues, Watson was giving the actual name of the holiday. Watson was able to teach himself from a few correct answers given by the humans that the answers needed to be a month. Once he learned that he started getting the rest of the category right.

The aim of the IBM'ers is to not have to have Watson 'learn' anything during the show, but be able to better recognize what the clues are asking.

As zero said, the most challenging hurdle for Watson is the 'human' interpretations that we take for granted as humans. Assuming they just give the Jeopardy! categories and clues as they normally would, not catering them to Watson at all, we should have a very tight game on our hands!

When IBM first brought in the Jeopardy! gang for a demo, Watson failed greatly. It seems now they've developed Watson to perform at a like level to the top Jeopardy! winners.

Something interesting: like the regular Jeopardy! contestants, Watson needs to stand alone, ie: not reference 'the internet'. Therefore 'the internet' was loaded into Watson's guts. For example, millions of news articles, encyclopedias, the entire imdb... he has the computing power of 6000 home computers, iirc.

I was wondering how I was going to fit Jeopardy! in with Valentines plans! Mission accomplished.

I think, to be fair, Watson should have a human-like response time in buzzing in. He's just too fast!

I was really surprised that Watson would answer with an incorrect response already given. I bet the IBMers were scratching their heads over a few stunts Watson pulled.

I can't wait for tonight!! Less background knowledge, more game play! I hope Jennings wins!

As I understood it, Watson has the same advantage of humans in processing the other contestant's responses and 'learning' from them. At least he did in the test run rounds.

Okay, I guess he can't anymore...

Steve Camepa, IBM's general manager of global media and the entertainment industry explained that "Watson only takes his input from the question board so the fact that somebody else gave the same answer doesn't factor into what Watson says. He can't hear what the other players are saying, but maybe that's a feature we can add in the future."

That's quite disappointing.