Jambands.ca

Before they were famous.....

Brels

What acts have you seen before anyone had ever heard of them????

I remember the Tragically Hip played my high school, Frontenac S.S., in the mid 80's!! before they anybody new them. I remember they played lot of Doors covers. Bouche, Jaimoe...remember??

I also saw Barenaked Ladies when it was just the two main guys, playing a comedy night at McMaster (The Rat)in about '88. They opened up for Corky and Juicepigs. Corky of course is Sean Cullen who is now a CBC celeb or sorts - he is also incredibly funny and the lead singer for BNL stoll all his moves.

Unfortunately, I didn't see The Police play Lee's palace before they had broken through. That would have been incredible.

I saw the Tea Party about 6 times before they had a record deal ... and not at all since, including a two night stand at the Glue Pot pub where they played for about a dozen people all together. I also saw Sarah Harmer , both with and without Weeping Tile, a number of times in her pre-record deal days. I'm not sure if it was before his record deal, but I caught the tail end of a Ben Harper gig early-ish in his career ... would have been there for all of it if I knew how good he was.

RnB

The Hip played a Bayridge S.S. dance as well (before my time)... they did a few Monkees covers too!

I saw Our Lady Peace on a Wednesday night at Alfies at Queen's with about 12 other people, before they had a MuchMusic hit. I mistakenly remarked, "these guys have a ton of potential."

I also saw this band called "nero" at the Whipping Post one time... [Wink]

Originally posted by shainhouse:

I saw Dave Matthews Band in 1994 at Lee's Palace and they hadn't hit it huge yet, at least not crazy huge.

I saw moe in 1996 at Lee's Palace when they were nothing more than a typical jamband.

I've got a different question than shitidiot:

How did you manage to see either of these bands? Lee's Palace is a bar, not an auditorium, and you're about 21 or so, aren't you? So how did you get into Lee's Palace as a pre-teen for DMB, and as an early teen for moe.? I'm not aware that they have all-ages shows there, and I'm shocked that a 12 year-old would be into these bands... especially when they were "unknown".

(Don't tell me you had fake ID - no bouncer would fall for that...)

[Confused]

yeah Brels!

I remember that time so well. I remember the posters plastered all over the hallways, and I would make fun of the name. I thought i was a stupid name. "The Tragically Hip". I'd mutter it and laugh all day long.

Actually, i don't remember much of the show, just that I was really into the Beatles for the first time in my life and the Hip played 'Money'.

Ahh good ol' Frontenac.

As far as seeing someone before they were considered famous, I think that's all I have.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

It's hard to argue that Blues Traveller were virtual unknowns when they opened for the Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Neil Young concert at the C.N.E. in 1994. Soundgarden was only slightly more famous than BT too.

Fuck, you know I'm still pissed off about that to this day... if I remember right the show was supposed to start at 5:30, me and my buddy hauled ass from work and got there about 5:45 and BT were already leaving the stage! And I was already a big fan so I really wanted to see them. [Mad]

Jaimoe, that's funny 'cus I figured if you were gonna mention seeing Blues Traveler when they were still relatively unknown, you'd have referred to the Kingswood show with the Allman Bros in 1992 - don't know if you were around for that one, it was a great show. They were REALLY unknown then by comparison and put on a great show. I knew them because I'd picked up a copy of "Travelers & Theives" in NYC but that show made we want to see them again. I did, at the old Spectrum on the Danforth in Toronto in 1993, and they remain one of my very favorite bands to this day.

Like Brels, I saw BNL when it was just Ed and Steve a whole bunch of times in the late 80s and early 90s. And I actually went to high school with Jim and Andy Creeggan, in fact I played harmonica and keyboards in one of their high school bands. The first ever "official" appearances of Barenaked Ladies were at Scarborough Music Camp, I unfortunately wasn't around for those but I know a number of folks who were. We used to go see them every month at the Rivoli at some of their earliest full-band shows when they played a double-bill with our friends in the band Two-Penny Opera, a great Toronto folk band. I actually did lights for part of their set once.

Oh, and although I never saw nero until a year or two ago, I do have a CD somewhere called "Northern Lights" that was a compilation of Canadian artists on MP3.com from 1999. I actually have an acoustic tune on there as well myself, which is why I bought a copy originally. Anyway, I remembered hearing this cool instrumental called "Condor" - the version on there is about 5 minutes long, I think I even put it on one of my mixed tapes one time! It wasn't 'til years later when I was downloading a nero show when I connected it with THOSE guys! [smile]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Jaimoe, that's funny 'cus I figured if you were gonna mention seeing Blues Traveler when they were still relatively unknown, you'd have referred to the Kingswood show with the Allman Bros in 1992 - don't know if you were around for that one, it was a great show. They were REALLY unknown then by comparison and put on a great show.

Well, *I* was at that show, if Jaimoe wasn't! And you're right, Blues Traveler did put on a great show - it was my first time hearing them, and my first time seeing ABB, too. Popper came out and played harmonica on "Statesboro Blues", too. I remember that I used to have pretty decent tapes (tapes? remember those?) of that show. Cool.

As an aside, I think I saw BT about eight times as an opening act for one band or another (including the Neil Young show at the CNE) before I ever saw them headline - at the old Varsity Arena back in... I dunno, maybe '95 or '96? (For MarcO: this was the infamous show where I first saw Dave A. do his "wig-out" dance...)

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

It's hard to argue that Blues Traveller were virtual unknowns when they opened for the Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Neil Young concert at the C.N.E. in 1994. Soundgarden was only slightly more famous than BT too.

I was at that show,right up front for Neil,Traveller,Soundgarden,although I moved back durin PJ,Eddie spits when he sings.

Great show,think I have the video of the Neil from there,have to poke around.

I saw the Tea Party play in Hamilton way back before a record deal,opened for a freinds band in Hess village,although they got signed and my buddy didnt.

I remember watching the bare naked playing on the corner of young and dundas a while before they played the infamous nathen phillips squire gig.

I think I saw (wasted) the tragically hip at the aviator in Kingston.

Anyone know if they played there?

Who knows I might be full of shit on both counts, but my wise uncle Bruce alway's said not to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Archived