Jambands.ca

Looking Gig April 15th for Wassabi Collective

Jay Funk Dawg

Melissa (M3) and Gisto of The Wassabi Collective are on tour next month, I'm hoping to help them find a gig on Friday April 15th in Southern Ontario, any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Melissa (M3) and Gisto will be hitting the road for a run of shows in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, Quebec & ONtario. The duo version of the “Wassabi Vibe†are debuting their “Allstyle Dance Party†with all Original Bangers and live Percussion, Guitar and Vocals

Here's the dates:

04/06/11 Halifax, NS The Paragon Canada

04/07/11 Fredericton, NB Nicky Zee’s 04/08/11 Charlottetown, PEI Baba’s Lounge 04/09/11 Saint John, NB Pepper’s Pub 04/11/11 Montreal, QC Le Divan Orange 04/13/11 Peterborough, ON The Red Dog 04/14/11 London, ON Call the Office

04/15/11 TBA Southern Ontario

04/16/11 Toronto, ON The Rivoli

04/17/11 Hamilton, ON The Casbah

www.wassabi.net

thanks!

The last time they played Ottawa was after a Bluesfest night- with Moses Mayes. A bunch of us arrived together at about midnight and objected to the $15 cover charge for what we expected would be about an hour or less of music- and considering one half of the 'double bill' was finished. The bands door person refused to give us a deal and told us that they had just started so we'd have to pay the full amount.....

25 minutes later they were done for the night.

I am never ever going to go see them again, so I hope that $15 went pretty damn far.

Was it Wassabi Collective's door person or Moses Mayes door person, or was it the venue's door person? If you can't answer that it seems like your directing your anger at the wrong people.

I feel bad for the band who is trying to make a living making music to get blamed for actions of someone who is likely not a staff member of the band.

$15 is still pretty cheap to see live music.

There's a huge problem here with the entertainment industry - namely that the electronica crowd will happily fork over $25-40 to see a Dj, but the live crowd complains at even $5. It's a sad state for Canadian Musicians.

There's a huge problem here with the entertainment industry - namely that the electronica crowd will happily fork over $25-40 to see a Dj, but the live crowd complains at even $5. It's a sad state for Canadian Musicians.

I'm gonna agree with Jay here - the days of the $5 movie and the $5 pack of smokes are long gone, and so too should be the days of the $5 rock show I'm afraid. With gas at a buck-twenty that'd hardly be considered gouging. It costs a shitload of money just to keep a band on the road and fed and keep strings on guitars and stuff.

Sorry to have brought a completely personal gripe from one particular evening in to this, but I felt pretty burned and so did some others.

It was definitely the bands door person.

They may have come here more recently, but I was unaware.

I have no problem forking over good money for a good show, but to be told it had just started when that was not the case was shitty.

I certainly don't remember clearly at all but I think I paid about $30 to see you at the Grey Cup GR. Just sayin.... :P

$5 is exaggerating for the Toronto market, but I recently had a discussion with my friend Todd, keyboard player former of Sling n the Stone and now in House of David Gang and Jason Wilson - we're talking about pricing a show in Guelph on a Friday.

this is what he had to say:

5 bucks tops - as we did the last time...... we can bring some folks in for sure but we won't make alot

Guelph is going through a bit of an identity crisis in terms how they are dealing with this stuff..... the bar owners AND the people are digging in their heels and NOBODY wants to pay!!

I say it's a free show is a great way to get our names out and start to build something that the owners will pay for but until you give them two packed houses ........ then we need to do it for the other benefits. BIG PROMO AT THE UNIVERSITY and a $5 might work but it's a risk.

--

It's a scary place at the bottom of the entertainment food chain!

Sorry to have brought a completely personal gripe from one particular evening in to this, but I felt pretty burned and so did some others.

It was definitely the bands door person.

They may have come here more recently, but I was unaware.

I have no problem forking over good money for a good show, but to be told it had just started when that was not the case was shitty.

I certainly don't remember clearly at all but I think I paid about $30 to see you at the Grey Cup GR. Just sayin.... :P

Sorry man I didn't mean that with regard to your personal situation. In your case it's not a matter of $15 being worth it for a whole show, it's a matter of paying for the whole show and only getting a short piece of it.

Which Grey Cup show of mine cost $30?? Edmonton or Calgary?? Jesus, I wouldn't have even paid that.

To continue to stray off topic....

It's totally a band's responsibility to know when to change the cover, and run a fair door. Whether it's the band's guy or not, whatever fan is at the door getting charged full cover when there's 25 minutes left is gonna be pissed at the band. Rightfully so.

Sure it's tough and expensive to be on the road, but you can't rip people off - they remember, and you come out looking bad, which in turn makes for less people at your next gig.

If you're feeling the pinch on tour, rather than opting to squeeze extra cash out of your audience to make ends meet, maybe you should write better songs and promote yourself more so you're not in that situation in the first place.

I'm of course not pointing any fingers... I've been there. And I am there.... I've seen too many people at the door for my Tuesday night Dakota gigs this month turn away bitching about the $12 cover for FOUR FUCKING BANDS.

That being said, Gisto's video looks great. Congrats to him for sticking to his thing and doing something with it.

Here's my new video. No shit. I'm gonna sell this song to Shawn Desman and buy you all personalized jet skiis.

You do make some valid points there Jeff/Ersh, the bands need to create an atmosphere to build more fans and charge a fair price/operate a fair door.

My policy at my shows is that we're building a community and we have to strike deals with the patrons to get them into the shows so they become our champions. We have to let people in for free or nearly free in the last hour or 45 mins of the night.

That video you posted was hilarious!! I hope you make a million on that - it's almost as good as Rebbecca Black. Maybe you should put a bit more auto tune on it.

I found this video right after it... Damn, I really need to come out and see Pete Elkas. When i was in University I really loved his song Karate Man.

ersh's post just reminded me that I paid $5 at the door for the Elkas/BNB show last week. My sincere apologies for sure. To be completely honest our entire group that went that night was discussing before hand what we thought it would cost because the price wasn't posted on the webs....we all said 15$ or 20$ considering who was playing and where.

Cheers ersh :) I really enjoyed that night of music :)