Jambands.ca

Sam The Record Man, RIP

phishtaper

Fond memories of the old Sam's store on Yonge. So much to look at and browse through back in the day. I remember numerous Boxing Days where THAT was the location to get up early for and go line up.

Nothing like going home on the subway looking at record covers/sleeves chomping at the bit to get them on the turntable and listen to them.

Vince Neil spit on the girl in front of me in line at the Yonge Street store during a over-attended Motley Crue autograph session in the early '80's (he whispered something to her, she slapped him, he spit). Nikki Sixx signed my guitar.

Rock and roll, olde schoole.

A few years later my roommate worked at Sam's in the head office. He actually worked with Sam himself and would often talk about the rock stars that cruised in and out. He had Lee Aaron over for dinner once, when she was currently the metal queen.

Who's got my heady download!

Sure, he was a great man, and the Yonge St store was a music mecca. But I will shed no tears - the man died owing me $50.

(When Sam the Record man declared bankruptcy, gift certificate holders were deemed unsecured creditors.)

maybe you should have gotten your fat ass into the store then to buy some records instead of pissing on the guy's grave now. it's not like the bankruptcy was unexpected. :/

maybe you should have gotten your fat ass into the store then to buy some records instead of pissing on the guy's grave now. it's not like the bankruptcy was unexpected. :/

The bankruptcy happened 11 years ago, and it was quite unexpected. They shut down every Sam The Record Man store in the country, except for the flagship store on Yonge St.

During my next visit to Toronto, early in 2002, I attempted to buy several albums with that gift certificate, and it was refused. Somehow, that flagship Sam the Record Man store was no longer connected to the chain of stores that had shut down, and they did not have to honour the gift certificate.

So, yes, I will piss on his grave.

There's still one Sam's store, I believe in Belleville of all places. I hope Ryerson does something creative and cool with the iconic neon LP sign like it promised it would do. I used to see Sam in the flagship store from time to time, usually standing by the cash registers by the exit. Good deals at the main store but normally overpriced elsewhere.