Jambands.ca

Hillside Festival 2013 lineup released

DevO

Looks DAMN fine!!! Damn!

Akron/Family, AroarA, Bonnie “Prince†Billy and Dawn McCarthy, The Boo Radley Project, Brown Bird, The Darcys, Diamond Rings, The Do Good Assassins, The Dunwells, Eight and a Half, Escondido, Sarah J. Felker, Fucked Up, Ariana Gillis, James Gordon, Jim Guthrie, Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion, Hayden, House of David Gang, House of Velvet, Gregory Hoskins, Indians, Jaipur Kawa Brass Band, July Talk, King Cobb Steelie, Aidan Knight, Kopecky Family Band, Shane Koyczan, Pokey LaFarge, Lee Ranaldo Band, Legato Vipers, Lowest of the Low, Brenda McMorrow, Johnny McLeod & Harri Palm, METZ, Ruth Moody, Sarah Neufeld, Niyaz, Odd Years, Lindi Ortega, The Pack a.d., Poor Man’s Whiskey, Quiet River of Dust, Red Wanting Blue, Reuben and The Dark, Daniel Romano and The Trilliums, The Sadies, Said The Whale, Preetum Sengupta, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Snowblink, The Speakeasies, Stereo Hypnosis, Colin Stetson, The Treasures, Two Hours Traffic, The Walkervilles, Martha Wainwright, The Weather Station, Whitehorse, The Wilderness of Manitoba, World Party, Yamantaka/Sonic Titan, Young Benjamins, Yukon Blonde.

www.hillsidefestival.ca

Perhaps its an embarrassment round here to admit that I've probably only listened to about 15% of the names on there (and for some, limited listens at that). Having said that, of that 15% they're all great bands and I highly suspect I'd be introduced to all kinds of wonderful sounds if able to make it out. Still haven't made the Hillside journey, which is kind of crazy considering how close it is to me. This year isn't going to be the year either, but a reminder that I should probably get there soon.

I completely agree with AD. I'm motivated to see Bonnie Prince Billy, AroarA, Akron Family, The Treasures, The Sadies (anytime), Shadowy Men, Fucked Up, Metz, King Cobb Steelie, lots of others.

Bonnie Prince Billy - One of the top 5 of must-see list that I've never seen

AroarA - This is Andrew Whiteman (BSS, Apostle of Hustle) and his wife.. Curious to hear what he's up to.

Fucked Up and Metz - Pretty heavy arsenal but fits in perfectly with what I'm interested in in the past year.

Yamantaka/Sonic Titan - Not exactly my cup of tea, but their show at Sappy Fest last summer was mesmerizing and definitely something to talk about. I'd watch that again.

King Cobb Steelie, Shadowy Men, House of Velvet - sweeeet flashbacks

Hayden - I like the new album

Dan Romano, House of David Gang - Bring on the Skanks!

Is it just me or will this be like the 3rd or 4th year in a row that Yukon Blonde has been in the Hillside lineup? I have no recollection of their music though.

Edited by Guest

I have always wanted to go but the lineup never sells it for me, maybe someday.

Hillside isn't really the type of festival that books big name acts and does a 3 day fest of popular music.

Every year I go I discover music that I probably never would have heard about. It's also just an experience in itself. I'm dragging a friend to see Phish (despite him not digging their music) because seeing Phish is more than just a concert. It's an experience.

You should really check out Hillside someday.

There's no doubt that Hillside is an excellent festival on many levels. Having said that, there are lots of other fabulous summer options for music and I don't find myself being lured to Hillside like I am to other concert and festival events. My last few times at Hillside, it felt crowded and I felt like I'd "been there, done that." Having said that, I will likely go again at some point in the future. But not this summer, as Gathering of the Vibes is pulling me East ...

Peace, Mark

I think Hillside is amazeballs for one reason- it appeals to everyone (well maybe not everyone but you know what I mean)- it is fun for grandma and grandpa and the kids and your teenagers and everyone in between. they cater to the local crowd and seem to want to protect the festival from becoming too big for locals to get tickets to.

I love seeing all the familair faces from around the burg that I don't get to asee too often! always a fun time- and Zack has a blast which is nice because we don't take him to many shows anymore.

On one hand I agree it is "amazeballs"- great location, vibe, crowd and prices, but i also have to agree with Tonin that if felt crowded last year. They really need to expand the tent venue because it sucks when you can't see the band you really wanted to see. I spent lots of time wishing there were about 10 to 20% fewer people there.

On one hand I agree it is "amazeballs"- great location, vibe, crowd and prices, but i also have to agree with Tonin that if felt crowded last year. They really need to expand the tent venue because it sucks when you can't see the band you really wanted to see. I spent lots of time wishing there were about 10 to 20% fewer people there.

you have touched on one of the more central, internal debates among the organizers themselves. recently, there has been push to include the larger community by allowing various local groups to set up booths, increase the number of vendors and food providers. this drive has eaten up valuable real estate on what is a very small island. couple that with increased desire by fans to have a beer in one of the two side tents and even more real estate gets eaten up by expanded fenced spaces.

what used to be a few hippies chilling around in open fields has been replaced by a permanent main stage, much larger side tents, and more and more vendors and interest groups. yes, it's become very difficult to get from one stage to another quickly. it's not that there are more people, its that there is more stuff.

personally, i dont think there need to be 5 coffee spots, 3 potters, 2 handmade soap sellers, 7 environmental activist booths, and enough beer to fill the lake. but that's just me, im a minimalist, lol. ;)