Jambands.ca

So i have given into the Man; process starts

secondtube

I have bitten the bullet (has something to do with me starting to twitch, been almost three years since i've seen phish) and hired an immigration lawyer to get my I-192 waiver, and a pardon taboot.

the immigra status will take no more than 10 months (yay, nye 2004 PLEEEZ BIG CYPRESS)...

the pardon status will take close to two years, but apparently the guy said i dont need a pardon to ge the waiver.

the prices were quite a bit less than i thought. (dont listen to normal lawyers, go to an immigra lawyer).

Hopefully this time next year i'll be joining ya'll Stateside.

Steve

actually he doesn't even want any money up front...

i pay him 145 the first time, that includes my rcmp fingerprinting. he then sends it out to get verified, and while it is out, he collects all the court info regarding my case.

when the rcmp finally sends my varified fingerprints back to him, he contacts me and i go to the border (or toronto airport) and pay around 225 Canadian for the FBI fingerprinting and service fee's.

Bring them back to him, pay him a little more money, and have him send the RCMP and FBI fingerprints to the Immigration center with the I-192 application to be processed.

This should take around 8-10 months.

The whole process should cost around 650 dollars.

As that process is going on, he is going to start my Pardon process, which is going to cost another 400 dollars. All in all, around a grand. I was quoted about 2500 dollars...w/out a pardon.

Apparently the best news is, you can get a five year U.S. immigrationg grant right off the bat, rather than having to get a one year, than the five year...

At least i think so.

Steve

secondtube: Keep your eye on this guy. As an almostlawyer, I'm telling you that is way to cheap for him to sucessfully do anything. $350 for your waiver (the other $300 being disbursements), at the absolute most that entitles you to 2 hours of his time, and you probably used a bunch of it with the initial consultation (sure it was free, but its added in later when it comes down to it...)

I know a lot of law firms that might not charge much more then that for a regular residential house sale, but they'd do it as a form of PR, hoping to make money in other ways off the client.

The immigration stuff could be so straighforward that a secretary is doing it and the lawyer is just signing it, but if not that seems way to cheap. Lawyer overhead is expensive...

Glad to hear you're going through the process though.. U.S. here you come!

i got busted with a single pill of E, but it doesn't matter.

Here, read this:

quote:

USA rules have become more strict now. The immigration officer can ask your identification for the purpose of conducting a RCMP (Computer Criminal Record Search.). Powerful computers can find your records fast. You may be denied entry to USA if a criminal record is found.

So, if you have been fingerprinted, because it was a criminal offense, yes you ARE NOT allowed into the states.

many people do not know this, like myself. I crossed for two and a half years before i got into any trouble, going right through immigration.

Weed, E, huffing glue, stealing bubblegum. If you were charged, your not allowed across.

Now, if you haven't been caught by the states, you can get a pardon, after one year if it was a full discharge, three years if it was a conditional discharge (which is what i got), or a full five years if it was a full offense.

This takes upwards of two years to get the pardon, but once you ahve it, they can't find out what you've done at the border.

So, if you have a current charge, or even if it was DROPPED, but you were still fingerprinted, you must get a pardon before crossing .

Here's his site Morgan. Maybe you can take a look when you have some time....I think he's an immigration lawyer which is why he's cheaper.

Thanks for the advice though. If i get this pardon, do u think any employers can see my record? i was told by the lawyer only in certain circumstances could they opened the pardoned case.

Don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but I have a somewhat depression story to share. My friend has gone through the process you describe, he was so excited to finally see phish again. Driving 15 hours out to IT this summer. As he crossed the border, with papers in hand, after all that time and $$ spent - the border guard somehow 'misread' the papers, and said, you can't come in. He didn't want to push his luck, politely tried to explain what these papers really meant (since the guy didn't really read them). The officer called up someone higher up, went on to describe what he THOUGHT he read to his superiors, and since he did not want to admit he was wrong, or misread the papers, he forwarded the WRONG information to his boss! Of course, at the end of it all, they simply said, sorry, go home.

Good thing my friend's mom lives in NB in the summer, he was able to pass off his riders to another car in their caravan, and wait until IT was over to drive them back. Funny thing is (if there is ANY humour in this at all), after being turned around, going back through canadian customs, he briefly described his story to the canadian officers, they admitted that my friend was right, the US customs was wrong and suggested that it was their ego along with a power trip that resulted in his denial. Unfortunately, there is nothing the cdn customs officers could do, only sympathize with my friend.

Not sure how he could've dealt with that situation. Arguing won't really get you anywhere, and I guess explaining politely doesn't work either!

I hope you get your paper work done though, and hopefully you won't run into any pricks at the border on your first entry with papers in hand!

Good luck!!!

Lionel Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, your sexual harassment suit is exactly what I need to help rebuild my shattered practice. Care to join me in a belt of scotch?

Marge: But it's only 9:30 in the morning!

Lionel Hutz: Yeah, but I haven't slept in days.

Good luck with your suit man, and if you get down about dealing with the system, I'd suggest checking out an episode or two of the new CBC show This Is Wonderland.

Peace,

Mr. M.

that is CRAZY heady...

check to see if it was indeed his I-192 waiver that he recieved...

i hope i dont run into anything like that...

i just know if i did, i have a real cool head on my shoulders, and could talk my way into the states...

i almost did going to Cincy. Also, i think i'd have a cell phone and my lawyers number ready...in case an emergency phone call needed to be made.

right on steve good to here.

I remember trying to get a hold of you at your hotel in cinci and couldnt and was wondering what was wrong. I remember you called my room and i was all excited that ya finally made it and then your like guess where I am....... your hotel i said.......Then you reply with nope im sittin beside my bed at home. I totlly thought you were joking at first.

Anyways good to hear that we will be able to hit some shows in the states again and share rides to different shows and such.

quote:

Originally posted by headygouda:

Dual citizenship anyone?!?!

right here man... but EVERY time i go over the line, i say im a dual citizen, and the US customs says theres no such thing,, so i become a lawyer and talk my way in, usually takes an hour or two. sucks balls too.

quote:

but, we all know what lawyers are like....

man lawyers are expensive,, thats all i know

cost me about 7 grand to stay outta jail

I will get back to you on the specifics of the documents he had...

..but the bottom line is, as canadians, we don't have a RIGHT to enter the US. They don't need ANY reason to deny us entry... although that sounds harsh and unfair, it is the truth! That is why arguing/pleading in anyway, really doesn't get you anywhere. They have the right to deny you.

Dual citizenship anyone?!?!

Archived