Jambands.ca

Days of You

Rary8

Haven't seen those guys since they opened for Kingfish at Rock & Roll Heaven (1990?).We tried to book them at Pepper Jacks last year and it was almost a go,but they didnt want to play past midnight.I think they had to be somewhere the next day or work,cant recall.

Hopefully they get out on the road again,be good to see them live again.

...ahh the harmonies of Little Wing pulled out of a distortion cloud...

The catchy riffs of Cornerstone Row. The cool sweeping time of Seven/four. The heartfelt lyrics of Steve Himmel

Very few bar grade bands could play to the caliber of The Days.

If they only got into writing some real epic material and a little more exploratory jams and not just the short and sweet stuff. They would really have taken off. They did that "Jerry" ballad stuff so well. But they did live within that box.

T

Rary8, you are my new favorite Skanc!

Funny enough, I was bragging about the good ole Days to Pablo this past weekend. Too many times we either hit up the Toucan or the road to see them. They never failed to impress. The last time they came around, you could see they were rusty but they still were able to take me to 'that place' for a few moments throughout the night. Heck, their new tunes were even cool, I thought.

BRING BACK PEAT MOSS AND HIS FUNKY BRENT-STYLINGS!

"I'm still wondering what the hell happened at the CTfest where they just didn't show up."

They came to Ottawa after that, and Waylon Leads told me that he and his family went camping that weekend. He had totally forgot about the gig being the same weekend. He took total blame.

As far as the 'skanc' label, this site used to be called The Phish Sanctuary, so anytime a member joined, they ended up being labelled a Skanc.....or it has something to do with Hippie Stank, I'm not sure.

[Wink]

That keyboardist was the only half-decent songwriter of the bunch - too bad he split. (Thackway imitates Jerry too much and the bass player kept singing about monkeys n' shit)

and..

originally posted by Esau:

quote:

Haven't seen those guys since they opened for Kingfish at Rock & Roll Heaven (1990?).

I was there too... It was Wed June 26th, 1991. DOY played the next night as well at Lee's Palace w/ The Moonlighters. 13 years ago... yikes.

I'm pretty sure that was with their OLD lineup - different keyboardist and an extra guitarist I think... (same lineup for the first recording "The We Hours") I must have seen them 60-75 more times throughout the years in Ontario. I'm really surprised you (Esau) never saw them again, they are Ontario legends.

I followed them around a bit in 1990ish, great live band. They kinda have a rep for blowing off gigs, if I can remember correctly. Anyway, I picked up a CD of theirs in a pawn shop recently and was surprised to find a high volume of christian rock on it. Wierd. I would go see them again though.

"before they were days of you they were a dead cover band called "the other one." Is that correct?"

Yup, never saw them. Funny enough, when I was first told to go see them, my informant information was that I was going to see a "Dead cover band"

Thankfully it wasnt, not that I dont like a good ole Grateful Dead cover band!

quote:

Originally posted by weezy:

I was there too... It was Wed June 26th, 1991. DOY played the next night as well at Lee's Palace w/ The Moonlighters. 13 years ago... yikes.

I'm pretty sure that was with their OLD lineup - different keyboardist and an extra guitarist I think... (same lineup for the first recording "The We Hours") I must have seen them 60-75 more times throughout the years in Ontario. I'm really surprised you (Esau) never saw them again, they are Ontario legends.

Right on,yeah '91 makes sense,I remember being pulled over on the QEW going there while driving a rather unsafe olds,which I had that summer.

I won a "Deadicated" disc that night from the Q107 DJ between bands for having two pieces of tye dye clothing on...lol.

Strange I never caught them more,I did catch them earlier that year in Cambridge at the Nicholson Tavern (04/16) with Jack Straw,but I don't recall any seeing any shows after the Rock & Roll Heaven show (although I may have caught one....) I recall them playing all over,especially during that time,so it surprises me also I didnt see them more.I did alot of GD touring around those times though,but I really have no idea why I didn't see them more often.

Great band though,was really excited when we had the opportunity to book them in Hamilton,too bad it didn't work out,would have been fun.

I tracked down Mark Thackway at a rare Days of You show at the Rivoli early on in 2000 because I wanted to know if he could play an acoustic set to open for the Jorma Kaukonen/Michael Falzarano show I had booked at The Comfort Zone on March 4th, 2000. It was initially Mark who had turned me on to Hot Tuna, so it seemed appropriate. Turns out, him and a mandolin player, Eric from Beyond The Pale, did a lovely acoustic duo support spot for the show, which was very well received.

During that year, New Rider and I booked them several more times, usually on short notice, and usually with dismal results (attendance-wise, but no fault of the bands).

Archived