Jambands.ca

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Del

Why Saint Patrick's Day?

Saint Patrick's Day has come to be associated with everything Irish: anything green and gold, shamrocks and luck. Most importantly, to those who celebrate its intended meaning, St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide.

So, why is it celebrated on March 17th? One theory is that that is the day that St. Patrick died. Since the holiday began in Ireland, it is believed that as the Irish spread out around the world, they took with them their history and celebrations. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. With the exception of restaurants and pubs, almost all businesses close on March 17th. Being a religious holiday as well, many Irish attend mass, where March 17th is the traditional day for offering prayers for missionaries worldwide before the serious celebrating begins.

In American cities with a large Irish population, St. Patrick's Day is a very big deal. Big cities and small towns alike celebrate with parades, "wearing of the green," music and songs, Irish food and drink, and activities for kids such as crafts, coloring and games. Some communities even go so far as to dye rivers or streams green!

drunk.jpg

LET'S GET PISSED!!!

hey..i'm Irish (well my mom is from Belfast)

can i really use the "religious holiday" excuse to get off work tomorrow night and kick-er-down at Cuff the Duke and JMATS up there in the Peterpatch!?

not sure where the religion part comes in, but i'll cash in on it!

drinking a Cameron's Lager (it has a green label) and smoking kind [color:"green"] GREEN bud as I type.

Happy St.Patty's all ::

Guest Low Roller

People around here are stoked for St. Patty's Day so that they can become total drunken arses and have a good excuse while doing it. I for am scared of a drunken English town, so I'll be staying indoors tonight with my door locked and my shotgun cocked.

heh. I said cock.

I'll be joining the family for our usual trek to my grandfather's grave. It's been 10 years since the Irish bloke dropped dead while marching in a St. Paddy's Day parade (while nicely boiled, mind you). So the new tradition has been to sit around (in the freezing cold) telling stories of his drunken antics (my favourite being a Legion family bar-b-q that he got liquored up for and went streaking through...while president of said Legion no less). Old Jack was quite a character. I'll be more than happy to pour some good, dark rum on his grave tonight.

[color:"green"] Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!!

Whatta great day, People drinkin green booze all day long, leaving work, listening to irish tunes, man i live IN Saint JOhn N.b, the people in this city are are just stoked for today its really warm and sunny, everyones driving around with the windows open waving to each other, I drove by the main irish pub uptown and there was a massive lineup already and this was at 10:30 this morning!!Goodtimes

Happy St Patties day Everyone

Cheers

Josh

Ah yes, not-quite-a-saint Patrick.

The man who killed his own sister by running her over with a chariot not once, but 3 times in an effort to save her soul (or so I've been told).

I don't think I'll be raising a glass to him today, but I will certainly raise a glass to my good friend Beer - green or otherwise.

Mmmmmmmm beer...

Get off my ass you wee bitty fu©k

If I pull out the Claymore you're sh!t outta luck

Who's that girl, that pretty young thing

After I fu©k her she'll get up and sing

Aye Aye Aye -- sharpen your boot, and bludgeon your eye

Aye Aye Aye -- the Blarney Stone brings a tear to me eye

Down to the pub for a two shilling ale

The bread on the counter is going stale

If I don't get some fresh bread soon

Gonna punch you in your face and bark at the moon

Ain't got no girl 'cuz I haven't the time

Got too many other things on me mind

Patty was nice she was pale and cute

But I threw her away like an old piece of fruit

Got ooze in my pores my feet are all wet

Got mold in my ears but I ain't dead yet

Got stones in me bladder got a crack in me head

When Patty starts cryin' this is what I said

Ween - "The Blarney Stone"

woo hoo! i'm doing a whole lot of nothing tonight, got to work at nine tomorrow morning and first thing is a meeting with my boss, so i really don't want to go in smelling like a still. maybe i'll go out for beer this afternoon and drink one down for my mom, she's half irish and it's her birthday today. oddly, i also am half irish, my mom and my dad were both half irish, so i guess that makes me two quarters irish, no? my dad is irish catholic and my mom is irish protestant, and they didn't see that divorce coming!?!

I watching college basketball all day, then I'm heading to the OHL game between the Kingston Frontenacs vs St. Mike's Majors game tonight... a game Kingston has to win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

After the game I'll be looking for some Guiness, probably at the Sports Cafe on St.Claire & Yonge. Up Cork!

by a lonely prison wall

I heard a young girl calling

Michael they have taken you away

for you stole Travalian's corn

so the young might see the morn

now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay

Low lie the field of Anthern Rye

where once we watched the small free bird fly

our love was on the wing

we had dreams and songs to sing

its so lonely round the field of Anthern Rye

Happy St.Patrick's Day ya bunch of dodgy skanks!

Read the last paragraph.

"The Irish and the Scots Are From the Same Tribe

Ireland used to be divided up into five parts, the five fifths. There was a northern fifth, Ulster, a western fifth, Connaught, a southern fifth, Munster, an eastern fifth, Leinster and a middle fifth, Mide. Click here to see a map of the five fifths.

The Ulster Cycle is a set of stories which are grounded in the five fifths. Indeed, they are primarily concerned with Cú Chulainn, the Ulster hero and his king, Conor Mac Nessa in their wars against the king and queen of Connaught, Ailill and Maeve. These figures play a prominent role in the what may be the greatest story of the Ulster Cycle, the Táin Bó Cúailnge, The Cattle Raid of Cooley.

Sometime after 300 AD, Ulster became steadily less important in status among the five farthings and the ruling family of Mide, the Uí Néill Sons of Niall started to take over large parts of Connaught and most of Ulster. A similar move was made in Muster by the ruling family of Munster, the Eoganachta family. Thus was Ireland divided almost entirely into two halves.

The people of Ulster were pushed to a small coastal strip bordering the Irish Sea. The kingdom changed it's name to Dál Riata. Yet eventually Dál Riata fell under the rule and influence of the Uí Néill. This family, not content with the boundry presented by the sea, launched colonies across the Irish Sea into then Pictish Britain. Thus was Scotland founded, for it was these Uí Néill that the Romans called Scotti, not the original Picts.

Indeed, it was this Irish Expansion which led to Christianity in Scotland in 563 AD. St. Columba, the patron saint of Scotland, was a member of a powerful family in Dál Riata and in order to keep his ties in Ireland he settled on an island that was close to both Scotland and Ireland, Iona. Of course, even more bizarre is the fact that St. Patrick, the man responsible for bringing Christianity to Ireland in the first place, was from Wales."

Irish my arse.