Jambands.ca

Advice on buying a ring?

Chewie

Chewie - I know some people that know some people. Educate yourself on what you want (clarity, cut etc. etc.) and I can try and set you up with a couple people.

Don't buy one from a store period. Buy it from a diamond dealer that sells to store. Then get it appraised after you get it set (ie. get a 3week salary stone/ring and then compare it to the stores and voila you've got your two months salary).

Stores are a huge rip off and mark up. A guy I shared an office with last year went through the whole process... trust me.

You going to get down on one knee with "Can't Get High" playing in the background or what? lol

Definately buy Canadian.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitly buy canadian, i am a lucky man, my woman told me EXACTLY what she wants, and our friends dad owns a jewelry shop, which is nice, getting some sort of deal, but im still gonna shop around because ya never know if you dont, i could tell you its a heady dank deal and sell you a 5000$ ring for 7500$

i need to get a totally custom ring done made from scratch, not looking foward to the price tag

check out the learning lounge at Birks.com,

colour, clarity, cut, and carats are all things to know about diamonds.

a colour of H or I, and a clarity of VS1-VS2 or S1-S2 is pretty good and is what I would aim for.

the carat size and cut are all variable to to the size of your wallet and personal preference.

Take her to the store on an "unreleated matter" like watch buying and see what she touches, eyes, and wants to try on. you'll then have the information to make the right decision.

Good luck and Congrats

I like the idea of an emerald engagement ring-doesn't have to be standard whatsoever. I was given an engagement ring a few years back (now no longer with that person, luckily didn't get married). I remember NOT liking my ring-it was a gold solitaire that stood up high-totally not me-seemed so frumpy. Plus I noticed some weird line in my diamond which made me wonder what kind of stone it was??? Of course, I never brought these things up because I didn't want any bad feelings at the time.

I agree that spending a whole lot of money on a damn ring seems senseless-I like simple and thoughtful-reasonable-and not super fancy or something that could possibly be a rip off.

Lots of good advice here, you definitely want to know something about diamonds before dropping $$ on one.

If you buy from a place like Peoples, Charms, mall chain store, you are going to pay too much. Buying from an independent store or dealer is the best bang for your buck. And the "two months salary" deal is a marketing crock of shit from the diamond companies. I don't know how much you make, but spending that much on a ring is ridiculous.

Find something that suits her and won't break the bank for you.

I assume she's not the kind of girl that will care about the $$ cost of her ring.

The ring is a symbol remember.

To me it was more about the balanced between the jewel and the elegance of the band.

Go to an independant jewellery store and bring a woman with you that knows your girl.

Congrats and good luck.

You can do what my girlfriend is doing and scour Ebay with her (search estate jewelry, antiques, etc) for ideas and designs that she likes. It gives me ideas without having to drag her into the store...CJane's advice is well taken but it's nice to maintain a little bit of the surprise.

My ring is honkin big but we were pretty loaded at that time - he got a used harley as an engagement present... we so poor now though...

However, i do like my ring a lot and i'm not really one for jewelry. It might mean a lot to a future generation like "oh that was great grandmother heather's ring"

However, a home and financial stability will mean a lot to the kids too eh?

My husband did get my input but after we chose, i didnt know he told the jeweler to take out the centre stone and put in a more perfect, little bit bigger one. That was a romantic surprise when he asked.

If you do go diamond, clarity is a little more important than size in my books.

The Penny saver might definitely be a way to go - people are just getting what they can. But i wouldnt buy without getting a jeweler to look at it.

Brad M is right though. I have a friend that wants a big Pearl engagement ring. No reason to go on the crazy diamond markup.

Finally, if you do go with a real jeweler, and you are in Ottawa? I would like to recommend the one we went to. He is the youngest Thompson brother - My husband worked with his mom. His brothers and fathers have big stores in Ottawa, but he has a little kiosk under an escalator in St. Laurent Shopping Centre.

He was VERY nice and totally went the extra mile for us. And still any time we go back he takes care of the cleaning and checking for us personally. (Maintenance i believe is free for everyone) But he is a very nice guy.

Thats all i knows about that topic.

[color:red]Spend at least two months salary is a good rule of thumb.

My one buddy is still single because his girl won't take anything short of a Tiffany's insignia

tell him to stay away if she has that much control now ,imagine wanting a ring from a certain store

what would she expect for a baby crib if they should have a baby

i am not insulting just tell your friend to open his eyes now

I would barf if someone spent $5000 on a silly ring for silly ol' me

Imagine this Ms. Hux my co-worker spent $7000 on the ring AND spent over 65 thousand on the wedding. When he told me how much he spent I had to stop myself from slapping the back of his head. Weddings are rediculous these days.

got that right it is all most a weekend thingy

the courts are more expensive though

live together and commit to one another youselves

what the f*uck is everyone married?

i' date='m not

and don,t plan to wear another diamond

like having a rope around your neck

a lot of bullshit goes with that ring or most of the time, so go out and buy some bullshit[/quote']

[color:purple]This is positive re-inforcement.

Funny, but definitely scaring the life out of this (me) engaged guy.

Edited by Guest

oh come on, a lot of bullshit can go with any relationship -- legitimately/officailly married or not.

I always think of weddings as one hell of a party and a SYMBOL (just as the ring is) of a moment when 2 people decided they were "it" for each other and invited their family & friends to share the joy!

our own wedding -- a friggin' 3 day rip-roaring affair has affectionately been known as "the party where a wedding broke out."

Personnally, I am against having the future spouse buy the ring with you... talk about destroying romance from the start...

I am not saying that you shouldn't get help from another woman if you think you may not have good judgement, but to me one of the best things about my proposal was the surprise.

I made her Chinese food one night, and before hand, cracked open a fortune cookie, and glued it back together again with the ring in it and a message saying 'Someone close to you wants your hand in marriage'... she did not see it coming, and the look on her face was worth a million.

I just stuck with a nice Tiffany band and a single diamond... you can't go wrong with that, it's classic.