• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrot Dangle

When Swines Flew

Peaking Ducks and the Liposuction Reduction

Carrots Dangle has released 3 eps to rave Pitchfork Reviews

When Swines Flew are so old they broke up last year after releasing one album and three greatest hits packages, but fans around the world are holding onto hope it may only be a hiatus

Peaking Ducks and the Liposuction Reduction are actually a super group consisting of Sufjan Stevens, Perry Farrell and Neil Schon. Anticipated release date is 11.14.09

Halifax Rockers Deliver Pop With A Twist

Those that find pop music a bit bland but aren’t quite ready to delve into the angular ever-changing genre of math-rock might want to pick up a copy of Sahalee, the new release from Halifax indie rockers The Got To Get Got. The album is a collection of well-orchestrated high-energy pop songs peppered with enough musical sharp turns and surprises one could safely call it prog-pop.

Growing up on a strict diet of early nineties indie rock bands like Pavement and Sebadoh and a lifelong approach to guitar playing that avoids standard tuning has made odd music the norm for singer/guitarist Mark Mullane. Whether changing tempos mid-verse or adding the occasional incisor-rattling dissonant guitar part, Mullane insists that after years immersed in the style, he comes by it naturally.

“I think now it’s ingrained, it’s just the way that I write songs,†states the former member of North Of America, “The Got To Get Got is my attempt to write pop music, this is as accessible as I can probably get!â€

And that’s the best part of the The Got To Get Got. While there is enough sonic strangeness to keep the King Crimson fans interested, what really shines through on Sahalee is clever songwriting that hints at the energy of The Golden Dogs and the savvy of Ben Folds.

Though the album features plenty of guest musicians, with a core group of seven members that includes both a ‘cellist and violinist Mullane is confident they can reproduce everything on the album when they hit the road. “We turn it up a notch live.â€

Last year saw the band touring Ontario and Quebec for the first time, with choral-rockers Bruce Peninsula in tow. “At that point both bands were pretty new but it was a really successful tour…hopefully now that our record is out we’ll keep that momentum going.â€

http://www.myspace.com/gottogetgot