Jambands.ca

Lady Gaga Question...

Ms Zimmy

I always make it a point to listen to music, I donèt like. I want to know why I donèt like it.

Haha, nice. I have a similar attitude. If I am FORCED to listen to something (listening to the Edge all the time when I was working in Toronto comes to mind), instead of whinging about how I don't like it, I usually think to myself "this horrendous pop music was produced by some of the richest most powerful music producers in the world..." and listen for guitar sounds, or things past the horrible vocals and cheesy drums, things deeper in the mix. Its not always enjoyable, but doing the analysis passes the time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Kid Rock.

I saw Kid Rock.

I still hate Kid Rock's music.

Most of the people in the crowd were total assholes.

The concert was fucking unbelievable.

Pyrotechnics, explosions, lasers, actual attempts to "perform". It was wild, and maybe the "biggest" show I've seen since I saw Floyd at the ex.

I still don't like Kid Rock's music but his shows are stunning.

I imagine Gaga would be about the same, but I can't really see a point in saying "I'd NEVER go see anything like that" out loud unless I was trying to make someone feel like an asshole for enjoying something.

Do you think Gaga actually writes lyrics down?

She spent a lot of time writing music for other pop stars before she got a shot to be on TV.

I know that that's too much work for a "cool" band like KoL, but it's probably because they're sooooo artistically advanced, eh?

I imagine Gaga would be about the same, but I can't really see a point in saying "I'd NEVER go see anything like that" out loud unless I was trying to make someone feel like an asshole for enjoying something.

Ha, ha, that really is the crux of it. Well done!

But now I feel bad for laughing at my co-worker who went to see The Cake Boss. ;)

...I have been dissing Bieber as of late after hearing his My World cd, but after talking with a student last night I've agreed to give the acoustic album a listen. I hope to change my mind, as I would prefer to like music as to hate it.

Any updates? I have a feeling the acoustic album isn't going to change your mind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
... now ... what to wear?!

the more out there, the better!! LOTS of people dress up all crazy at the shows, you won't be alone. :) there are also lots of people who dress up AS gaga which is very entertaining to see.

i love gaga! her show is super fun, and quite the spectacle! she even has a really good sense of humour and can totally laugh at herself -- heck, at the show i went to, she was making jokes about having a huge dick (referencing that big internet rumour from awhile back). so much of gaga's media attention is people making fun of her and not understanding her aesthetic -- knowing full well how many people would be dressing up as her for halloween anyway, she even opened a whole lady gaga halloween costume section in the merch area of her official site! (i think that's hilarious) http://ladygaga.shop.bravadousa.com/Dept.aspx?cp=14781_39845

whether she's your personal preference or not, that woman is VERY talented and you can tell a lot of blood, sweat and tears go into the making of her show. she sings, she plays instruments, the dancers are amazing, the sets and costumes are an absolute spectacle and she is full out, 100% there to perform for you. there is nothing half assed about lady gaga. she's like the madonna that loves you back. there's this whole lovey dovey interactive vibe going on between her and the whole audience, the energy and overwhelming happiness with EVERYONE there is so fun! her show is sassy, provocative (yet still totally appropriate for young people), and even manages to have a super positive, empowering message without being eye rolling cheesy & gross. GAGA FTW!!! hope you have a blast at the show, i wish i could make it to this one!

i didnt get dressed up, but that's ok. there was enough glitter, feathers and leather heels to go around. this fantastic, energetic crowd came out on a cold march evening to celebrate.

filthy glam rockers semi precious weapons were slated to open but maybe they lipped off to canada customs and were denied entry. dunno. disappointing not to see them. no worries tho, pride favourite scissor sisters took to the stage just after 8 and immediately got the party started. only 30 min, but packed full of dance, sweat, pecs, one shiny lycra thong, falsetto and perhaps the single best line ever heard at a show, from sister ana matronic ... "we're the scissor sisters. you may not have heard of us. no worries, that just means you arent gay ... or british. but you are canadian, which is kinda like being right in between."

the ga floor was restricted a bit because the massive set catwalked out to center ice. undersold and crammed up front with skinny monsters - who all seemed to have checked their coats? - plenty of room could be had to stretch out and wait for the lady to appear. a really cool vibe, for the first hour of the wait, that is.

after 75 minutes our patience began to be tested. each new michael jackson tune pumped thru the PA was met with an increasing chorus of boos. enough. where is she? this is a bit ridiculous now. by the time thriller actually made it back into rotation - a full 1:45 minutes since the sisters left the stage! - the lights finally went down and all was forgiven.

now, i cannot possibly give a play by play of a lady gaga show. you simply have to experience it. but suffice it to say that she delivered monster hits (you know them even if you will never admit it) with passion and production that is simply among the best out there today. the ever morphing set, shiny flashy costumes, bathhouse hot dancers, glammed out band stacked inside cages and platforms, and slick routines with disturbingly sexy gimmicks. but perhaps even more impressive than the big budget production is this unique young woman herself who 'never ever has or ever fucking will lipsynch' who danced and sang for nearly two hours covered alternatively in chrome, blood, neon and pure white silk. it all made for a very memorable and fun monster ball.