Jambands.ca

Oscar Picks

Jaimoe

Hey folks, I haven't seen all the nominated films or performances, but I've seen most (I missed True Grit and 127 Hours).

Just curious what film you think will win for Best Picture and what you'd like to see win.

What will win?

The King's Speech

What you'd like to see win?

The Fighter

I think Christian Bale should win Best Supporting Actor and I'd like to see Jennifer Lawrence win Best Actress for her stunning performance in Winter's Bone, but the odds are good for Portman to take home the statue.

I haven't seen a lot of this year's nominees. Watched The Social Network last night. It was good, better than I expected but not best picture quality. Although nothing will top Crash as the worst best picture winner so I won't be too pissed if it wins.

Gonna try and squeeze in a viewing of Black Swan this afternoon.

I haven't seen a lot of this year's nominees. Watched The Social Network last night. It was good, better than I expected but not best picture quality. Although nothing will top Crash as the worst best picture winner so I won't be too pissed if it wins.

Gonna try and squeeze in a viewing of Black Swan this afternoon.

The film that won Best Picture the year before Crash, Million Dollar Baby, is another worst/best picture. I can't fucking stand that contrived and unrealistic flick (although I liked Freeman's performance). I saw 8 of the 10 pics nominated and all are good to great. Black Swan is very good.

Although nothing will top Crash as the worst best picture winner so I won't be too pissed if it wins.

I have never understood the hate for Crash (you aren't the only one not happy with it winning), I thought it was a fantastic movie. Do you mean worst as in bad movie or worst winner as in another nominee should have won? (The other nominees that year were Brokeback Mtn, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck and Munich).

The most I was ever outraged at the Oscars was when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for best. I was LIVID for days.

Edited by Guest

I've seen 7 of the 10 movies nominated for best picture. Of those I would say The Kings Speech will win it.

The three I have missed so far are... Black Swan... Winter's Bone and The Kids are Alright.

There are movies I personally like more than The Kings Speech but I think it's the kind of movie the Academy will love and I wouldn't disagree with it as the winner.

I have never understood the hate for Crash (you aren't the only one not happy with it winning), I thought it was a fantastic movie.

I thought it was pretentious and heavy handed and poorly written and poorly acted... the direction was OK. The premise of the first few minutes held so much promise but it did not deliver. It almost felt like a TV movie to me.

Saw Black Swan yesterday and was not that impressed. I normally dig that style of film but I didn't think there was much substance to the storyline and actually thought Portman was miscast. Not a bad film at all but just did not live up to my expectations.

The Oscar telecast itself was horrid. People say that every year but I usually disagree with them. Not this time. Total choke job by James Franco. He looked stunned the whole time. Hathaway was better but not by much. The constant references to "I'm so young and this is so exciting for me" ruined any sort of illusion of grandeur a show like this is supposed to present. I thought she'd been around Hollywood long enough to do a pro job but apparently not. Bring back the old people next year. (But not Kirk Douglas.)

I thought it was pretentious and heavy handed and poorly written and poorly acted... the direction was OK. The premise of the first few minutes held so much promise but it did not deliver. It almost felt like a TV movie to me.

The Oscar telecast itself was horrid. People say that every year but I usually disagree with them. Not this time. Total choke job by James Franco. He looked stunned the whole time. Hathaway was better but not by much. The constant references to "I'm so young and this is so exciting for me" ruined any sort of illusion of grandeur a show like this is supposed to present. I thought she'd been around Hollywood long enough to do a pro job but apparently not. Bring back the old people next year. (But not Kirk Douglas.)

Good to see you may not watch it next year. The oscars have been a joke for years...even the build-up of "who's gonna win on the big night?" drives me crazy. WHO CARES?

Interesting to see Norm Macdonald's use of twitter last night making fun of the oscar's.

https://twitter.com/#!/normmacdonald

he was probably drinking too.

normtweets.jpg

Good to see you may not watch it next year. The oscars have been a joke for years...even the build-up of "who's gonna win on the big night?" drives me crazy. WHO CARES?

I didn't say I wasn't going to watch next year. I still love the Oscars as a pop culture event. I don't really care who wins, it's a spectacle.

It's also made 100 times more enjoyable with Twitter. Norm MacDonald wasn't the only one making fun.

It's also made 100 times more enjoyable with Twitter. Norm MacDonald wasn't the only one making fun.

Also, making it a drinking game helps. Pools/betting can get you involved too.

The last few years I've simply PVR'd it and while it's on, we watch a couple of the movies that are nominated. When it's over, you can skip through all the crap and be done with the whole ceremony in less than an hour.

Last night we watched The King's Speech ... loved it!

Holy shit were the musical selections brutal.

I wish Ricky Gervais had hosted it ;) THAT would have made it interesting.

The flow of the show was chopp. I think CTV did a shitty job on the simulcast too: audio was out of phase on the HD signal and the control room op clipped some of the segments coming out of break, especially at the beginning of In Memorium.