Jambands.ca

Discussion Item of the Day 03-17-03

Ms.Huxtable

Enron. They added nothing to the economy or society, and screwed over thousands of people.

One of the big tabacco companies would be nice, but the others would just step up and fill the market.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Ms H: Check your calendar, today's March 18.

quote:

Originally posted by gentlemonkey:

MOnsanto's Ottawa office is directly underneath my work..

Nice - could you go down and ask them why it's necessary to make seeds to sell to farmers in the poorest parts of the world that are engineered to produce barren plants, so they have to buy new seeds every year, rather than gathering seeds from the previous years harvest as they have been doing for thousands of years?

Here's an interesting little story of Monsanto vs. a Canadian farmer:

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

quote:

Originally posted by gentlemonkey:

MOnsanto's Ottawa office is directly underneath my work..

Nice - could you go down and ask them why it's necessary to make seeds to sell to farmers in the poorest parts of the world that are engineered to produce barren plants, so they have to buy new seeds every year, rather than gathering seeds from the previous years harvest as they have been doing for thousands of years?

'Cause if they weren't barren, the seeds might scatter, and the environmentalists would complain loud and long about the danger of an engineered plant taking over biological niches occupied by local species?

I'm not on Monsanto's side, but this is another case of TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Any self-reproducing organism has a non-zero probability of escaping from where it's located and moving to where it's not wanted. "Convenient" and "Safe" are often requirements that are at odds with each other.

Aloha,

Brad

I'll go with the Canada Commercial Corporation.

The U.S. war machine is their business. Here's a little quote from an article on rabble.ca about the CCC:

As its own PR states, with the CCC connection “your U.S. [Department of Defense] buyer can have the full assurance that the Government of Canada is standing behind your deal.”

Get a load of this, as well: “In times of crisis or war, the CCC serves as Canada’s national contracting instrument associated with industrial mobilization of Canadian sources of supply in keeping with our obligations to the United States.”

All box-stores, but especially ( in order ):

Walmart

Costco

Home Depot

Best Buy

Future Shop

Box-stores are the ruination of city and town infrasturctures throughout Canada and the U.S.

Proof?

See: Brantford, Cambridge, Belleville, Port Hope, Barrie, Burlington etc... These cities downtowns are like ghost-towns, but their box-store sub-urban areas ( i.e., located near the 401/QEW etc... are thriving.

quote:

Originally posted by Esau13:

Ticketmaster.

I have a little beef. Not with Esau13, but with people in general.

I share in the frustration everyone has with TicketBastard, but how come no-one was pissed off with the $10.50 US service charge on every ticket for Bonnaroo? I paid over $90 CDN in service charges alone. Why can't they just bury the charge inside the actual ticket price if they have to charge one at all?

Arg. Maybe I just don't understand the economics of it all.

Okay, enough of that. I'm happy I got tix for B-roo. Service charge and all it's still a huge steal.

AD

ps. I heard Bonnaroo was relocating to Frontiertown, then to my backyard for the remainder of the summer. Reliable source too.

i would abolish the church as a business...people that see money can't seem to go without taking a part of it...

i would abolish dentistry as a BUSINESS - as well as medicine. those endeavours should be seen as aid, not money.

i would abolish the government as a business...too many things are nickeled and dimed.

i would abolish prostitution as well...but that's just because i don't want to have to pay...

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

'Cause if they weren't barren, the seeds might scatter, and the environmentalists would complain loud and long about the danger of an engineered plant taking over biological niches occupied by local species?

I'm not on Monsanto's side, but this is another case of TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Any self-reproducing organism has a non-zero probability of escaping from where it's located and moving to where it's not wanted. "Convenient" and "Safe" are often requirements that are at odds with each other.

Aloha,

Brad

Nah, sorry Brad, I don't buy it. It's a pure profit thing - safety might be the rationale but it doesn't wash.

Read the Percy Schmeiser case I linked to above - apparently not only does their strategy NOT prevent cross-contamination, but their don't even take responsibility for it not working and they're trying to sue the ass off the poor guy whose field their shit ended up in.

Here's a quote, but you should read the whole article at http://www.percyschmeiser.com/conflict.htm:

Monsanto did not directly try to explain how the Roundup Ready seed got (in Schmeiser's field). "Whether Mr. Schmeiser knew of the matter or not matters not at all," said Roger Hughes, a Monsanto attorney quoted by the Western Producer, a Canadian agriculture magazine. A canola scientist, in an affidavit for Monsanto in the trial, said Schmeiser's theories of cross-pollination by wind and bees did not make sense to him, given the purity of plants grown based on Monsanto's tests. "It was a very frightening thing, because they said it does not matter how it gets into a farmer's field; it's their property," Schmeiser said, in an interview with Agweek. "If it gets in by wind or cross-pollination, that doesn't matter."

So much for the safety argument. It's all about the money, baby! [Frown]

- M.

Archived