Jambands.ca

umphrey's replace phish???

Phunky Cauldron

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phish tour fanbase will probably be split about 60/40, the 60% being fans who went to Phish shows primarily for music. That contingent won't really be seeking a replacement but rather turning to other acts to get their musical fix. Hopefully that means a boon for alot of up and coming bands and even for the many genres of music outside of the jam world that Phish fans lend their ears to.

The other 40% will look around and see what other large touring imporvisational bands will give them the vibe and feeling of phish shows. Who that will be is unknown right now but SCI or WSP seem like good possibilities. I hate to hear Luke turning The Slip into some exclusive club of Mensa members but it truly is not going to be a replacement for Phish and I think that's the point he's getting across.

Look I agree with the sentiment of what your saying Schwa but not the content. The fact is that The Slip are a very thoughtful, increasingly lyric driven even symbolist band. They are not accessible (particularly their new sound) in the way that say SCI is. One sound is dense, thorny, lush and complex the other is airy, light, breezy and simple- you guess which is which. The two don't necessarily correlate to smart and dumb more like inacessible and accessible. I mean everyone knows my feelings about the Cheese in this case I truly believe they pander to the lowest common denominator with their brand of high mountain cheeriness. Life in a Cheese song is full of wonder and exasperation at the beauty of things like clouds and mountains and sunbeams. Life in a Slip song is also full of wonder and exasperation at beauty but to a different end.

So what was I saying? Well if you want to sell out arenas then catchy, accessible, dumbed down, peppy tunes set to an upbeat afro-celtic-newgrass vibe works just fine. Edgy indy rock tunes with deeply tragic overtones not so much.

dont fully agree with ya booche....

i was at the ball...yet low and behold not a deadhead (at that point). I was a phishhead first and really didn't 'get' the dead at that point in life. there were others on phish tour like that as well. to me both their music stands alone. both are equally capabale and have the power to fill draw 70 000+ crowds independent of the other. no doubt some people took up phish tour as their home, but me thinks they would of been drawing in huge numbers anyhow......

as for the next big jam band....i dont think i've heard them...or they are not around yet...............

dancingbear

Personally, I could never enjoy a band like The Slip in an arena. Their music is not groove based, it's thought based and I like to actually see what they are doing rather than close my eyes and lose myself in the groove.

As per up-and-coming jambands, I think NEW MONSOON, PERPETUAL GROOVE and DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS are really going to increase their fanbase and grow in the coming months.

As per up-and-coming jambands, I think NEW MONSOON, PERPETUAL GROOVE and DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS are really going to increase their fanbase and grow in the coming months.

Since when are Drive-By Truckers a jamband? I know lots of people on this board like them (including that crazy wook NewRider ;) ) but I don't think that makes them a jamband. There are at least ten people on here who like The Cure, but that doesn't make them a jamband.

I don't think the Slip, as good as they are, are really a jamband, either.

shainhouse, if you cant close your eyes and lose yourself in the slip, you gotta listen to more slip!

same with you, schwa, goddamit! :P

gimme some time and i'll gladly put something together to turn ya on..

ps: this in no way implies that i think they're the next big thing... i sincerely dont, and hope they're not, despite the amount of success i wish them... it's a different kind of success, i think... longevity, not size.

Near as I can tell, there is only one band that has the material, the chops, the ambition, the energy, the experience and the chutzpah, and finally the positioning to move out of the theater circuit and start bothering the arena venue managers:

moe.

If they can't make advances in response to the forthcoming gap in the arena jamrock world, no-one can. SCI may be a contender but I'm afraid they may have plateaued in career terms, and their tendencies towards a sort of new-age spiritual element is a dividing line that they'll have trouble getting around.

Also, on another point, people tend to forget that around 1992 through 1995, a lot of people were already starting to jump ship from Dead tour to Phish tour, because it offered a scene that was at the time far more mellow and under the radar than the Dead's (not to mention the appeal of a growing phenomenon based around a band closer to the audience's average age). There was also the (correct) perception that on the one hand you had a band on the way up and another in slow burnout, like a fading star.

Point being, of course there was a pique in general interest in Phish post-Garcia, but not necessarily in the numbers some may think. A year after Garcia passed on, Phish were still having trouble selling out a lot of arenas on their Fall 1996 tour.

Just a few thoughts.

I sincerely hope the Cheese have reached their plateau, although if they get on a bill with Trey it may be all over. Then Shain could close his eyes and try and tell Trey apart from Asian Trey. Where do you get this sh!t by the way New Monsoon and Perpetual Groove? fu©k why not add Psychedelic Breakfast, Tea Leaf Green and Jiggle (The Handle) to your list. Maybe they could all open for Max Creek and play China Cat> Rider in a mega jam.