Jambands.ca

top 5 most influential rock bands

shitidiot

the beatles

led zeppelin

elvis

b.b. king (and many other blues musicians whom i cannot name due to my lack of music knowledge and the white dominance of the music production industry at the time that the music came out)

tina turner/janis joplin- they made it ok for women to be single adults with their own career instead of the help-meet of men. and they really fu©king rock!

celine dion (just kidding :), i don't think canada as a nation can aplogize enough for her)

yeah...i've got to concur. the title is BANDS. SAY WHAT YOU MEAN and MEAN WHAT YOU SAY...so if you wanna be choosy and take away my non-rock bands...they're the ones with the asterisk

the beatles* (they're a pop band)

led zeppelin

the funk brothers*

rolling stones

it's a tie for 5 - the clash/talking heads*/steely dan* (steely dan?? it's a subversive influence...arguably the most successful band ever...everyhting they put out was a hit and they put out a lot of tunes - that i'm sure you'd recognize...)

if you've taken away my non-rock bands...

I'd have to say that Nirvana and Pearl Jam have been incredibly influential - if those aren't good enough, switch one with Yes and one with the sex pistols.

if i'm gonna be picky with you you can be picky with me...so i've gotta be picky with myself...you've gotta remember that the kids of today probably don't have the same perspective as we do and that's a huge demographic of new music...

but here's what I say...

demographics can suck a poll.

fu©k, beats..

alright, so since just about anyone who's anyone has already been mentioned in this, im gonna play this game from a little further in the future... i guess i dont know how much further, but further nevertheless... time will tell.. and clearly, these are just my hopefuls..

nirvana

sonic youth

wilco

radiohead

phish

some of these i'd say probably already could be, but i think they'll make more lists as time goes on.

i like your choices the best so far, guigsy.

i think, however that the pixies outweigh wilco. I prefer wilco but i think the pixies have more clout.

Dinosaur Jr. Brought back the Guitar Solo...everybody forgot about the Smashing Pumpkins and Sublime...both ultra heavyweights in popularity and cover tunes by alt rock acts.

and in that respect, what about cypress hill? I know that giggles and I were in a band that covered we ain't goin out like that and I thik that was a band that ushered many a white suburban into the foray of pot smoking and hip hop.

Skate punk?? NOFX... how about rancid?? tim armstrong started hellcat records which helped usher in a new era of ska and rocksteady... not as widely popular but definitely influential for today's alt rock and heavy music.

what about koRn?? we're not heavy people but koRn and Marilyn manson have influenced many many peoples' musical tastes...

what about country music?? alabama?? brooks and dunn?? i know the topic is rock bands, but when you cross the genres, you often find that the genres seclude themselves (intentionally or not, you've gotta admit they're seperate sects)

I think this is a really cool thread but talking about influential music is really tricky because peoples' tastes are so varied and there's so much put into the music industry.

i'm seriously suprosed that nobody said the guess who.

they actually made an impact on rock music. and they're canadian!!! Joni Mitchell? Neil Young?? i know they're not bands but come on...they're worldwide stars and they've really touched musicians and fans alike.

what about the red hot chili peppers? they're pretty frickin influential. i would argue that they're the most influential rock band since 1981. REM would be at a close second tied with nirvana...didja like my pun, guigsy?

music is so confusing and intricate.