Jambands.ca

Wake Up Call

zero

So I gather the Slip show last night was of a particularly high calibre. I couldn't go and was glad I walked away and did the responsible thing for once. Now I am even more glad. I'm not quite sure what went down but I get the sense things got a little dark (a lot dark) at the hotel after the party. I'm not going to name names but I get the sense a few people lost touch almost completely with reality. The thing is my ex-girlfriend who is a total sweetheart and non-drug user got caught in the middle of it all. I was frantically calling the hotel all through the night trying to get a read on what was going on and all I could tell was she was rattled and that I had an awful awful ominous feeling. I still have a anxious pit in my chest and this has really thrown me for a loop. I was calling anybody we know from the board's room just hoping someone would be with it enough to get a handle for me on what was going down. I guess as it turns out everyone was totally polluted and there was no one who could address the situation. This is what really concerns me. I really fear that some ill will befall one of us as a result of our recklessness. I know that I am the last person to pass judgment on reckless behaviour but even I am not committing as much self-violence as I was in the past. I guess I am saying we need to take a long hard look at whether our culture is primarily a drug culture or music culture. I fear that someone will go to far over the edge and not come back. Dread.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope everyone is ok outside of rattled

I don't know anything at all about last night but do anything you do responsibly, at a show isn't a good place to do anything for the first time... first times with anything should be in safe surroundings with people you trust to have your back... know your limitations and never let yourself become someone else's problem, let alone a problem to yourself caused by yourself... excess of anything is bad for you and can have unwanted repurcusions

I'm pro choice on doing drugs but that swings both ways, one of which is not to do them... some people don't deal as well with foreign substances as others... not a macho thing, its a personal matter based on individual physiology and physchology

again, hope everyone is all right... get lots of sleep, food and liquid into yourselves

"I'm not going to name names but I get the sense a few people lost touch almost completely with reality"

why is it i have a feeling i know which people 'lost reality'....

One of the main reasons i've stayed away from the scene...it was almost surreal to stay sober during the slip, and watch all the partying go on.

it was at least more comfortable than doing the same thing at the last CTMF, where it seemed like a 'get as fu©ked as you can' vibe...

Speaking from somebody that wasn't there, understanding who WAS there (the posts that people used to plan their trip) is a very important thing to keep in mind when you spread gossip about the scene.

I totally understand that you care about the scene and the people in it, but after a concert at a party, sometimes things get out of hand and people have too many beers or this or that. I think that maybe youcould've waited till you heard the whole story later today before posting about whether or not people are 'totally polluted'...

I agree that the drug aspect of this scene is very weighted but i'd charge that there's as much in the country music scene when you get close to the artists and the mad party fun...do they focus on it? nope. is it a party vibe? well to them i'm sure it's good times. there's as much in the rave/electronica scene and it's still going...

the more respect we give to ourselves, the people around us, and the substances we take, the less stress we put on them and ourselves and ultimitely, there's less potential for drama and permanent loss of reality.

I think the people that might have stepped over the line wouldn't appreciate the negative/worried commentary out in the open. you can always get to them - but patience is key. You'll get the stories when people want to tell you. if you're there you're privy to the up to the moment commentary. if you don't go don't expect people to interrupt their partying for you.

$.02? bah! have a nickel!

"I think the people that might have stepped over the line wouldn't appreciate the negative/worried commentary out in the open."

He didn't say who they were....if someone stepped over the line, i think 'appreciation' is the final thing they should worry about.

just because 'the slip' are in town doesn't give excuse to 'forget your limits'. We are all mature adults (or at least adults) ... if someone stepped over the line, then maybe a swift kick in the ass is what they need....

I know thats what i needed five or so years ago....but that was when i was 19....many of the people in our scene are in their mid to late 20's....and shouldn't need to be babysat.

(kung, this does also apply to you...(ctmf))

So I gather the Slip show last night was of a particularly high calibre. I couldn't go and was glad I walked away and did the responsible thing for once. Now I am even more glad. I'm not quite sure what went down but I get the sense things got a little dark (a lot dark) at the hotel after the party. I'm not going to name names but I get the sense a few people lost touch almost completely with reality. The thing is my ex-girlfriend who is a total sweetheart and non-drug user got caught in the middle of it all. I was frantically calling the hotel all through the night trying to get a read on what was going on and all I could tell was she was rattled and that I had an awful awful ominous feeling. I still have a anxious pit in my chest and this has really thrown me for a loop. I was calling anybody we know from the board's room just hoping someone would be with it enough to get a handle for me on what was going down. I guess as it turns out everyone was totally polluted and there was no one who could address the situation. This is what really concerns me. I really fear that some ill will befall one of us as a result of our recklessness. I know that I am the last person to pass judgment on reckless behaviour but even I am not committing as much self-violence as I was in the past. I guess I am saying we need to take a long hard look at whether our culture is primarily a drug culture or music culture. I fear that someone will go to far over the edge and not come back. Dread.

Now,I was there and pretty much sober (6 beers alnight),not quite sure where you get your info man,but things were running smoothly last night as far as I could see.

i have to agree with esau... i was at the hotel before and after and into the wee hours; of course there was partying but by no means did i see anything that caused me concern [except for hux's burnt eyelashes]. i hung out in several different rooms and yeah... everything seemed a-o-k. hopefully your friend either misread a situation, overreacted a bit or made a bit too sweeping of a generalization.

edit to add: as far as "the scene" in general, though, of course you're absolutely right that we should all be careful with ourselves and our friends. cheers.

well... good news! glad everyone had fine times in la province de le french speaking peoples avec The Slip!

so remember, only light flames you're comfortable with... too much flame and you could end up compromising an eyebrow (seen some mustaches, and even a beard, take a burn over the years but thats the first I've heard of an eyebrow :: )

i have to agree with esau... i was at the hotel before and after and into the wee hours; of course there was partying but by no means did i see anything that caused me concern [except for hux's burnt eyelashes]. i hung out in several different rooms and yeah... everything seemed a-o-k. hopefully your friend either misread a situation, overreacted a bit or made a bit too sweeping of a generalization.

edit to add: as far as "the scene" in general, though, of course you're absolutely right that we should all be careful with ourselves and our friends. cheers.

just so people dont get the wrong idea, i talked to zero tonite about this and just know that he got his information from someone he puts a hell of a lot of trust in.. maybe the most trust. so lets just give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, afterall, in this case, he's just really concerned for the well being of some people, and there is nothing wrong with that. whether you saw it or not. i saw a lot of things over the past few days, which concerns me, too.

just be careful and take it easy, is the message. not one to get defensive about.

"My peers, lately, have found companionship through means of intoxication - it makes them sociable. I, however, cannot force myself to use drugs to cheat on my loneliness - it is all that I have - and when the drugs and alcohol dissipate, will be all that my peers have as well."- Franz Kafka

everything seemed ok to me... except for the irate hotel manager, trying to keep the noise down while a couple hippies were roamin' the floor. Thanks for the party folks!

The Slip seemed very pleased about their Canadian run, and thanked everbody who toured with them and made their Canadian run so much fun...

I hope they come back soon.

jay

everything seemed ok to me... except for the irate hotel manager, trying to keep the noise down while a couple hippies were roamin' the floor. Thanks for the party folks!

The Slip seemed very pleased about their Canadian run, and thanked everbody who toured with them and made their Canadian run so much fun...

I hope they come back soon.

jay