Jambands.ca

QOTD - 12/08/04

scottieking

Ola.

Like many of you I face a drive to work every morning. And like many of you I use this time to listen to music. Upon doing so today, I thought of a QOTD.

If there is one CD in your collection that you were pretty sure that the majority of the world didn't know about and you could recommend to your fellow skanks, what would it be?

Today (and possibly tomorrow) I would recommend:

Tortoise - TNT - 1995? 96?

A double bass soundscape of sweeping dimension and catchy hooks, this is one of my top 5 instrumental albums of all time.

For me, it'd be David Lindley & El Rayo-X, "Very Greasy". It's total fun, end-to-end, and has some seriously mind-bending covers (including a ska version of "Werewolves Of London", and a rock-solid reggae version of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"). It also includes "Tiki Torches At Twilight", which will be the theme/signature song of the Aloha Brad Project (a fusion of funk, jam, reggae, and Hawai'ian musics), assuming I ever get that off the ground...

Aloha,

Brad

Fela Kuti & the Africa 70 Live with Ginger Baker! The first track alone is the best start to any cd I've heard.

Esau - That's funny that you dig jughead. They used to do a Saturday matinee at the Black Bull on Queen st. Every week there would be anywhere from 9 to 12 of them, and they are super good. They'd play everything from old blugrass tunes to Motorhead. You haven't seen anything until you've seen a 10(ish) piece bluegrass band play "Ace of Spades". They were fundamental to my bluegrass appreciation. They also did a great "Friend of the Devil" :)

CH,

I have seen em a couple times and actually used to see a off shoot-imprompt band with 3 or 4 of em in Raymond Ontario (north of Bracebridge,south of Huntsville) at a place called the country charm,my buddy Glen lived down the road and was good friends with Mike Phillips (lead vocals/guitar/dobro).

Awesome band.Love the 50 too!

My brother played in Jughead for a few years. He played Gutbucket, guitar and vocals. ( I feel like I have been plugging his various bands lots lately)

Todd (my bro) and Julie ,who does some some songs on Speedwobble, now have a country band called the Shovels.

I actually have a Jughead DVD here. It is comprized of about 10 of their Breakfast Television slots and their Crazy Train Video.

I actually have a Jughead DVD here. It is comprized of about 10 of their Breakfast Television slots and their Crazy Train Video.

So,what would it take me to get a copy of that DVD and perhaps a new copy of Speedwobble? Mine skips.

I'll be in Ottawa on NYE probally a day or two pre-NYE actually and would love to get copies of those.

Awesome,thanks kindly,I would love to grab another copy of Speedwobble,count me 100%.Hopefully I'll be wandering around Ottawa for a couple days,I'll know more in the upcoming weeks.Look forward to seeing ya'll again.Thanks for the invite on the DVD.