Jambands.ca

Bad day for Basher

Basher

Now for my rant:

Last weekend my car was damaged while in a parking lot to the point where you could not open the front passenger door. I took the car to a repair shop at lunch to get it fixed to the point where the door is functional, knowing that when it comes time to sell the car I will get all the little dings taken care of.

For $20 the guy fixes the door - it was in the shop for 15 minutes.

After leaving the place I went to get some gas, and to my surprise the back of my car was completely smashed!

So, I go back to the repair shop and they tell me it was like that before. I explain that before I let them take the car I put my CD cases in the trunk, and it certainly wasn't damaged then. The guy says "no way, we didn't do it, not our problem".

So, I call the cops, they come 1.5 hours later and say it is my word against him and I can sue him if I want. I call my insurance company and they say it is classified as a hit and run, so I am not at fault and my premiums and ratings will not go up, but I am on the hook for the $500 deductible.

Yep, you heard me, go in for a $20 repair and leave with a $500 bill.

Now lets hear those "poor Basher"'s!

:(

I call my insurance company and they say it is classified as a hit and run, so I am not at fault and my premiums and ratings will not go up, but I am on the hook for the $500 deductible.

I believe you should be covered under the DCPD agreement. This is the Direct Compensation Property Damage agreement. This means you collect directly from your own Insurance Company. The key here being, under the DCPD agreement, unless you stated when you purchased your insurance that you WANTED a deductable, Insurance Policies come with a 0 deductable for a DCPD claim.

The insurance act states:

For the purpose of clause 263 of the Act, the insurer of an automobile that is in the care, custody or control of a person who is engaged in the business of selling, repairing, maintaining, servicing, storing or parking automobiles is entitled to indemnification from the person.

With DCPD, the Insurer pays out the amount that you are Not At Fault. If your Insurance Company determined you are Not At Fault, which you said they did, that would mean you would get full recovery, with as i said above, 0 deductable.

I dont think this should be classified as a Hit and Run. Maybe the Initial incident was, but the second incident, the one that caused the most damage, is DEFINATELY NOT a hit and run. Its a DCPD claim. 0 deductable (but 300 max), not 500 deductable.

Check it out. It could save you some money.

::

Thanks everyone. Brian - I will take you up on that beer at some point for sure. And SP - my fingers are crossed.

In the end, it's $500 and a pain in the ass. I will certainly recover.

A side note: My car had a black/silver reflective "Play it Leo" sticker on the back that I got at IT. When I told Sloth at the show that it was reflective, he replied with the best line ever:

"You're reflective!"

I'm really sad that this sticker has died, I don't know if I will be able to replace it.

:(

hey basher, if you want i'm pretty handy with some tools and if you wana come by my place, i'll see if maybe we can fix up your trunk ourselfs, if not ki know a good body shop, near doncaster, they did alot of work on my vw, and i know another place thats really cheep.

or if you just wana smoke a fatty let me know, i live around john and bayveiw area