Jambands.ca

besides pot, what should i grow this summer??

elemeno

I love cooking with herbs and most of them are really easy to grow. Basil is my favorite and if you have more than you need you can always make pesto.

Mint is great to add to friut cups, smoothies and almost any dessert but it's best use is mixed with vodka and some sugar. Oh Yeah!

Thyme mussles... mmmmm.

I can't wait to grow cherry tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini and a few varieties of chili peppers as well.

Good luck with your garden. May it grow and grow and grow!

Basil is my favorite and if you have more than you need you can always make pesto.

I usually make 2 batches of pesto per season. The second one takes 2 days to make and I usually end up with 40+ containers (hopefully enough to last the winter). They freeze well and make great little gifts when going visiting. You can never have enough pesto! I think I've eaten it every day since mid-October. :D I only have 7 containers left out of 41! :: :: ::

Mint is great to add to friut cups, smoothies and almost any dessert but it's best use is mixed with vodka and some sugar

This is a mojito no? It's the Vodka and Red Bull of 2005. I found it lame.

Hot peppers are super easy...I grew 3 Bird's eye chili peppers on my balcony and just now finished using them fresh, dried, and for a litre of hot sauce. Tomatoes are easy but depending on your preference I would grow some beefsteak or "eating" tomatoes because I found the cherry tomatoes disappointing, and fresh plum tomatoes are nice for sauce but nothing beats a fresh beefsteak tomato sandwich.

Other things that have worked for me (in either Guelph or Ottawa...I think you're in KW?): Catnip, Basil (grow more than you think you need), Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Cherry Tomatoes, Mint, Cilantro (goes to seed quickly, so use it fresh or collect the seeds for indian recipes).

I was so disappionted when I tried to grow corriander. We use it fresh like crazy and are picking it up in the store at least twice a week so we thought we'd grow it to save some money. Mine didn't grow well and lasted for only a week or so once it was good enough to use. I found it to be a waste of garden space since I had to buy it anyway.

We only started cooking Indian this past year so saving the seeds is a great tip.

i grow large tropical plants that push the limits here in Ontario

ie: Castor Beans, Giant Grass (Miscanthus Giganteum) that can reach 18 feet tall!!, Canna and Calla Lily, Euphorbia's, Alocasia and Colocasia (elephant ears) and this year i'm going to be trying Bamboo!

the greatest nursery here in Ontario that i have found is Humber Nursery ...unbelievable selection ::

Man I cannot wait until the growing season is here again.