Jambands.ca

Funny or Embarassing Gig Stories

Deeps

Mine:

19th birthday and several pitchers into the 3rd and last set of the night in Huntsville Ontario at a place called Chumly's and I start to feel the effects of the booze the other band members have been giving me.

3 bars into our third tune I decide to discretely puke off the side of the stage in front of roughly 200 people.

The Keyboard player (my father) sees me shortly after this sitting on my amp all but completely nodding off into a deep sleep.

The sound man played bass for the rest of the set as my young drunk ass went and slept it off beside a box.

Now I had played this club a number of times in the past before I was of age so I couldn't tell the owner that it was my 19th and they got me.

So I apologized with the convenient "I was on medication and drank a little! Sorry Mr. owner (who looked like Mr Bean) sir sir sir. sorry!

Deeps

PS That bar doubled as a strip joint during the day where I saw a very interesting trick with a $20.00 bill performed a mere 10 ft in front of the point of my embarassment the night before...so I didn't feel so cheap anymore ;-)

Bored ....

Here's another rural Ontario beauty from Wallaceburg Ontario.

Drummer and myself sitting down to have lunch. Guy approaches us and introduces himself as "Bones" as he's sitting down he asks if we mind if he sits down, at the same time letting out a rather expressive fart. To which the drummer replies.

"Could have done without that"

Bonesy turns to me (~17 at the time) and says the following.

"If ya ever hafta choose between the crack of a woman and the crack of cocaine.....dramatic or drunken pause.....

go with the woman"

Sound advice indeed.

Bonesy rocked the house at the gig later that night.

When one of the band members mic'd a local and his spoons up for a good 'ol country jam.

I looked out onto the floor where the spoonman be rockin and low and behold before me rocked Bones! He chose the clack of the spoons over the woman and the junk that night.

Single tear -- Goulet.

Well, I'm not a musician but...

I once fell asleep in Court when I was "junioring" a trial for a senior lawyer; sitting right next to her. It was more like "nodding off", and I kept waking up, but I'm pretty sure the judge noticed.

(In my defence, the issue was a dispute over a banking issue, so really who could stay awake?)

You know that big last note of a concert?

One evening, it was a huge show and we were rocking out big time. When that huge last chord came, I raised my bass triumphantly in the air and came down with the headstock HARD on our conga player's head. It really hurt him and everybody saw it!!

That was like 4 years ago and I'm still getting ribbed about it... >_<

You know that big last note of a concert?

One evening, it was a huge show and we were rocking out big time. When that huge last chord came, I raised my bass triumphantly in the air and came down with the headstock HARD on our conga player's head. It really hurt him and everybody saw it!!

That was like 4 years ago and I'm still getting ribbed about it... >_<

ok, that made me laugh out loud. that is memorable, no wonder you're still hearing about it.

i don't know if i can think of something embarrassing to top phishy k. i do remember playing a gig with mark tonin and dr evil where elements of the crowd badgered the bartender in to turning on the TV at midnight (really loud too) to watch a hockey game or something on in the middle of what was the middle of our second set.

no wait, it was saturday night live that they put on....and not even good saturday night live either. taking the hint, we packed up and got the hell out quickly.

crowds have been much better to us since :) the secret is to play to happy friendly freaky people instead of surly drunken students hellbent on bad television. someone told us later that this bar showed snl most every saturday, but i think they were just being nice :)

There was that other occasion at Stratengers, though, where they did have a hockey game on in the background; funny how every goal happened at precisely the same moment as a killer moment in a song ;). I remember not sussing that one out until I actually turned around and saw what was being projected behind us.

There was that other occasion at Stratengers, though, where they did have a hockey game on in the background; funny how every goal happened at precisely the same moment as a killer moment in a song ;). I remember not sussing that one out until I actually turned around and saw what was being projected behind us.

oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Sorry for the double postage....

Amusing Halloweening:

Last Halloween me and the boys thought it would be funny to kick it leather pants-big hair and glory-rock style for the beginning of the second set.

I had a long blonde wig on and Mike (guitar) had a Slash-esque wig. Cut off sleeves and leather pants abound.

We were 2 songs into our tribute to hair rock when I looked to my left to see Mike's wig hanging off the end of my bass.

Much laughter and untangling later...

We finished our Whitesnake cover "Here I go Again" and took the wigs off before someone got hurt....or passed out from the heat.

Deeps

PS that same night a friend of mine convinced five other people (that I didn't know) to show up at the bar dressed as me. Fake goatees and hoodies and little whiteboy afros. They referred to my Mom as Mom and kept hugging her all night and hit on my girlfriend. hehe :o

On the brighter side, I'll bet that you're now the one that gets the most square-footage of stage to call your own.

dude - as cool as that herbie hancock song is - why not cover watermelon man? everybody and their dog covers chameleon and i've only heard it played once by anybody with the right feel...but watermelon man? that's one that almost nobody pulls out and if you can listen to more than just one song on headhunters you'll know about the sheer power in a song i'm talking about.

watermelon man.

that being said, i remember one time i was playing in Smiths Falls and the guitarist/singer in our band 'down on diesel' (giggles and i were against it for the record) tuned down for a dropped tuning.

a couple of songs later i looked over to giggles and i remember this messed up look on his face...musta had it myself cause we stopped after that song...the idiot didn't go back to the regular tuning.

AARGH!

There was that other occasion at Stratengers, though, where they did have a hockey game on in the background; funny how every goal happened at precisely the same moment as a killer moment in a song

Yeah ... I thought the cheers were because they actually liked what we were playing ... silly me! :D;)

Peace, Mark

hey - CannedBeats, how about Canteloupe Island? We do that one, and it's real fun to play.

We did play one show with Al Cameron on drums, but he's moved up island now and I havent' heard from him in months. At this point we're still auditioning drummers but we have one in our sites...

I'm excited!! :)

isn't Steve formerly of the Wassabi Collective in that group? Will Al Cameron be filling in on drumz?

Yeah, he sure is! Stephen is one of my best and oldest friends, and he's back on electric guitar and vox for the return of Chameleon.

We're taking things real slow because we want to a.) have fun and b.) make sure that things are hella sweet before we play live.

I'll definitely keep you all posted. Thanks for your questions!

Never mind the wigs and the leather pants, I'd think that the most embarassing part of the night would be playing "Here I Go Again." ;)

How true that is.....unless you count when we followed it up with Every Rose Has it's Thorn! ::

I'll sacrifice my musical integrity for 10 minutes for the sake of a story ;-).

Deeps