Jambands.ca

"Trouble in Babylon": Raggamuffin discontinued (Ottawa)

bradm

There's an article in this week's Ottawa XPress reporting that a man was shot in the leg during last Thursday's Raggamuffin reggae night at Babylon.

According to Adam Kronick, the owner

"Due to this incident, the regular Thursday night programming (Raggamuffin's gig) will be discontinued, replaced by a new weekly Thursday event starting this week," he said, suggesting the shooting was linked to elements in the crowd the local act attracted.

Aloha,

BRAD (Babylon Reggae Act Discontinued)

Ya over the years Ragga has turned from cool chill spot to get drunk on a Thursday with good tunes (how i miss PoPo) to uber scenester college kidz place to see and be seen (I miss Bingey), to creepy meat market crackedout scheezefest, to ....well, i guess a crime scene.

My suggestion to Adam for the new Babylon Thursday show, steal Kevin Breit from the Orbit!!! Nevermind I'm sure it will end up being dj's or some shit.

I didn't realize there was no Bingie either.

This is all very disappointing. I used to love the Raggamuffin nights many moons ago when the only guaratees were they closed 1st set with Rescue and didn't start the 2nd until 3am. ;)

though I wish no ill will towards Bingie, nor would I ever want to see something like that happen to another person (meaning his accident), I have to say that I do not miss him. He was the main reason why I stopped playing with the band. His ego and unprofessionalism was amazing. It's too bad because he was a good singer and really knew how to work the crowd and put on a good show.

and not only did I miss popo at the end of my time with the band.. I missed Coolridge on drums and Owen on bass.

Anyway.. it's too bad it had to end like this.. violence is never a good way to end a show, regardless of how much the scene changed over the years.

Guest Low Roller

I'll miss the fat hoes that stood in the corner and waited for some poor soul to make accidental eye contact before they pounced.

I'll miss Raggamuffin like I miss a hole in the leg

Now that's my kinda line. You're workin' it AD.

Hey' date=' aren't we neighbors?

[/quote']

Kinda, I think... I live near the Folklore Centre, behind Patty's.... BUT... Coming soon to a Glebe near you... Me. August I'm moving to 3rd Avenue, on the first block east of Bank St. Eastside...

AD

before. It was before PS was called PS. I liked it for a while back in '96-'98 or so with the big crowds and the big ladies and just the general fun vibes, and yeah, I guess it gradually deteriorated to the point of irrelevance.