Jambands.ca

Slip Ottawa

U.FProductions

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not the place with the big brick column. soooooooo hard to get a drink there. i think that's mavericks.

The brick pillar at Mavericks was removed many months ago. In its place are two metal columns, maybe 6" x 6" each (which is the place from which I tape: it faces the stage, has a power outlet, and is reasonably "contained", as opposed to the middle of a dance floor). Sight lines from the street end of the bar are no longer obscured as they once were.

Aloha,

Brad

I appreciate Babylon for all the good acts they snag, but i really don't like the room for sightlines. "Everyone! Crowd to the right and get on your tip-toes!"

I don't like Maverick's either, it's pretty stale in there and I find the bar service to be sucky. And a small smoking section. If they were a big enough draw I'd put them in Barrymore's, but I don't see that happening. Heck, I'd put every band in Barrymore's.

Black Sheep, Black Sheep, have you any Slip?

AD

Doesn't Black Sheep seem a bit dicey? It would take a lot of designated drivers and they might not get the crowd they'd get in Ottawa proper. Seems to me Maverick's is your best bet.

yeah I hear ya on that...but I dunno...somehow I'm sure with lotsa advertising I sense it could truely...be epic...sure is a daydreamy thought..The Slip in that scape...

Though that said...we want The Slip to return..mabey nows not the time to take chances in the woods. What do I know...hahas... not much bro.

Again...willing to flyer like mad.

Barrymore's would sound and look the best. Kinda like that Montreal show in spring 2004.

The Black Sheep would be great with a bus added in. We got one for the nero/freeker show and it worked out well, however, the bands and the bar had helped pay for it to make it easier to go. There is a FANTASTIC local crowd in Wakefield. Buuut, I have heard of the horror stories of the Bar owner forgetting that he booked a major act, or bailed on the show.... *cough* Vorcza *cough* Andre Williams *Cough* Dr.Huxtable ;) *cough*

I suppose if some research went into it, we could do that again. I'd pay 20 bucks to take a bus there and back PLUS the ticket!

Maverick's would be pretty good, considering the intimacy, if you trust them. I'm having problems with trusting the venue since the last couple of times I've been there, water poured from the ceiling, and Stephen Franke got screwed over with a gig.

The Rainbow isn't the greatest for sight lines, but it's darn good. What about renting a hall? :D

Now, if this coincided with WAKEFEST, we'd have a party for sure.

I just had a thought...what about Lauzon's place? That was fun seeing JSB there for the wedding. Hey, wasn't the Slip supposed to play that, come to think of it?

'that place' would be a great bet, but you know full well...it would get past 8 pm before the snotty neighbour's got the cops there ;)

Guest Low Roller

I say the Ottawa crew makes it their mission one week-end to troll the market and other areas looking for a new small/medium sized venue, get the manager's contact information, and then have someone ORGANIZED present to him the potential of the scene. Babylon and Maverick's never really did it for me to be perfectly honest.

Bus trip to Black Sheep would be unbelievable... too bad I'm in the UK, and too bad it's the Slip. ;)

think about return on investment. the slip dont come cheap. i've heard between $1500 - $2000 USD... obviously, im not in the know, but that sounds realistic to me.

now, do you think you could get enough people to the black sheep, so that U.F. could make a little coin for themselves and still manage to bring 'em back sometime?

im not optimistic on that one.

i know it'd be a great party for a select few, and this is the "me age", but............

if you're involved with booking Slip in montreal, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT THE SWIMMING!!!

I'm so tired of hearing them play on sub-standard PA gear in a bar that's only 1/2 laid out for shows. MUCH better options are Sala Rossa (250 ppl.), Main Hall (200) and Cabaret (about 400 I think).

Maverick's hands down. Black Sheep would be cool but not viable. Babylon might look pretty damn empty if the last Slip show was any indication, Barrymore's would look even emptier, fuck the Rainbow, its got no heart.

Also Maverick's has been good to us all and we should be giving them the love

Hull: Le Petit Chicago.

..I was kinda curious about that location..but I dunno might be hard to entice folks from the other side of the bridge...non?

Mavericks allready has a big rep for folks as a place to check out music....but gees mabey if we postered really hard we could fill Babylon?...just gotta make sure it doesn't twin 80s freakin night....gebus days of nero were frusterating next to that night.

Hull: Le Petit Chicago.

..I was kinda curious about that location..but I dunno might be hard to entice folks from the other side of the bridge...non?

Mavericks allready has a big rep for folks as a place to check out music....but gees mabey if we postered really hard we could fill Babylon?...just gotta make sure it doesn't twin 80s freakin night....gebus days of nero were frusterating next to that night.

i'm looking to build a goood street team for this show' date=' witch means [b']-- FREE TICKETS -- FREE SLIP STUFF -- !!!!

email shane@ufproductions.com if you like free slip stuff!