Jambands.ca

Slip Ottawa

U.FProductions

What Hux said - and I'm sure the bourbon is a nice venue but its distance is prohibitive. This show should be kept downtown, or Wakefield! (This thread's gone two pages and still no decisive answer)

easy with the Distance!!! How can you guys complain about distance and still push for Wakefield? From what I heard from Mark of Caution Jam, the Bourbon St. Music Hall has a great crowd of heads. When they come to town, the place is packed. I'm pretty sure that TMNS does just as well there.

Where is our TMNS spokesperson anyway?? Thoughts?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Wakefield is that the BSI is such a good venue, it's worth the extra time and logistical hassles it takes to get there. IMO, the Bourbon Street Music Hall is not worth the extra time and hassles. (For example, the sight lines and dance floor alone at the BSI are much better than the Bourbon.)

Aloha,

Brad

Honestly...I know it's the slip...but just think about the horrible turnout other bands have gotten on a weeknight even downtown. Look at the rheos...friday night, downtown, and it was empty...the $20 cover charge is what discouraged people that night, and I saw many people walk up and walk away. now think of it this way, the slip, at bourbon street, weeknight 10-15 dollar cover charge, on Baseline rd..I ain't know promoter but I think it could be a disaster.

My vote is still for Maverick's or Babylon... Why make everyone go out of their way to go somewhere like the Black Sheep Inn when the majority of people won't have a problem getting to either of these venues? It's about the music, not what the bar looks like inside... Sightlines are nice, but I've seen quite a few shows at both Maverick's and Babylon and I think they're both fine... Like Freeker said, show love to the bars that continualy book good bands...

What about Capital City Music Hall. I've only been to one show there but I liked it well enough.

I am friends with the manager there, if you like I can ask about it. I would need a date for the show.

And you all know that Capital is the biggest venue in Ottawa right? Holds about 1000 people...

AD

In what world am I living in where Del makes sense?

The Black sheep inn is a dream but isn't a good bet for a weeknight.

Vote: Babylon.

Vote: Hux, you and me, suisha gardens pre-dinner before slipshow. grilled eel, spicy tuna, hot sake and hours of ratdog...that combo is as much a mindfuck as LSD ever could be.

Hahaha, yo man, you ever seen the Slip on grilled eel??? Whoa!!

I vote for Zaphods still. If the date is indeed late October, whoever wants to book it should get all the shite to Eugene pronto. He books pretty far in advance I think.

If it's Babylon I'll go, but I will be negligibly upset about it. It's about time they renovated that place. Buy out the pool hall upstairs, raise the ceiling, put in an actual stage, get decent washrooms that aren't littered with nero stickers...

AD

it's killin me over here that some people would say "too far" to any venue in the city, considering where some people, who arent fortunate enough to have a show in their city, are gonna come from for a one-off slip show in the capital.

too far. if the only canadian show was in london, i bet some of you would make the drive.

im a fighter, polkaroo, know that. ;)

Guigsy you must try the rainbow roll at suisha gardens, and definitely don't miss the salmon cheek!

It's a given that jambands.ca board members would travel to ANY of the venues listed. I think though to be sure of a good turnout overall the show needs to happen where people less connected or who are coming out by referral are likely to attend. And that at least puts it somewhere downtown.

it's killin me over here that some people would say "too far" to any venue in the city, considering where some people, who arent fortunate enough to have a show in their city, are gonna come from for a one-off slip show in the capital.

Yeah, London seems like Ottawa five years ago. There were no bands coming up here like this.

AD

london has its moments... its just not a jamtown, unless you're Burt Neilson.

that's why its unfortunate that bands like the slip, or say, GTB for that matter, have been stuck with this label that they cant seem to shake... bars here dont seem to want to take chances on bands like that.

indie bands, punk bands, and hardcore bands seem to rule this city these days.

Bourbon Street is nice, and I could walk there from my house, but it's actually pretty small for the size of crowd The Slip would attract.

It would be awesome to turn Zaphod's into a jamband friendly club! They did after all have moe. there about 10 years ago.

I'm not a big fan of the Rainbow - I've had some great times there and have seen some fantastic bands, but when it gets crowded, it's downright claustrophic and hard to move around.