Jambands.ca

Brief & Drunken ABB Toronto Review

Jaimoe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should track down the tapes of the Mule show at the Comfort Zone where Gordie and Ian Thornley come out for some wicked 3-lead guitar craziness. The show was probably 98 or something like that...

AD

Not to forget Mountain drummer Corky Laing joining in on a few tunes too.

moe last night was worth the ticket price alone for me last night. I thought their set was tight as can be, with several fantastic build-up jams. I saw that Karl had a primo taping spot, FOB with his mics practically right in front of the hanging speakers at the front left side of the stage. I can't wait to get my hands on that recording!

I was really great hanging out with a bunch of people before the show, and running into several others during. It is always nice to meet some skanks I have not met before to, i.e. phorbsie and traveler. Good times.

For all those that were at Stoned Phillips' before the show, here is the recipe for the corn:

Rub corn with fresh lime juice

Sprinkle on cayenne, salt and black pepper

Roll corn tightly (shouldn't be an issue for anyone here) in tin foil with one tablespoon butter or margarine

Grill on the BBQ on medium heat for about 25-30 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until golden brown

YUMMY!

Loved the show! We walked in as moe. was playing and immediately headed to our seats (section 203, row E, very nice!). I thought the sound for moe. was very good, although much quieter than when ABB hit the stage. And moe. played well!

For some reason, they had Oteil's bass absolutely cranked up for the first part of the ABB show, which created much of the muddiness with the sound I am sure.

I liked the organic feel of the show, with the lack of a "leader" ... the show had a blues jam feel to it at times, with lots of opportunity for each band member to shine through. I can't say I liked this show more or less than previous ABB shows that I've seen, but it was refreshing to hear this version of the band taking a different approach.

And once again, the visuals were a treat to watch ... some very tasty video images helped to enhance the whole concert experience, that's for sure.

A sweet show ... so much to listen to, so much to look at, room to dance ... I've got a smile on my face thinking about it.

Peace, Mark

For all those that were at Stoned Phillips' before the show, here is the recipe for the corn:

Rub corn with fresh lime juice

Sprinkle on cayenne, salt and black pepper

Roll corn tightly (shouldn't be an issue for anyone here) in tin foil with one tablespoon butter or margarine

Grill on the BBQ on medium heat for about 25-30 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until golden brown

YUMMY!

that was some of the best corn on the cob i have ever had :)

thanks SP for hosting the pre-party

great to meet a ton of new skanks last night

(ie): phorbsie, traveler, freak by night, super freak, calamity jane...

you know I could be crazy, but I could swear I saw Dan Akroyd at that show last night, he was wearing a staff shirt and a baseball cap. him and about 4 other guys wearing the same shirts pushed there way through the crowd out by the west beer stands, it happened pretty fast but I'm pretty sure it was him.

just thought I'd share that.

but like I said I might be crazy.

you know I could be crazy, but I could swear I saw Dan Akroyd at that show last night, he was wearing a staff shirt and a baseball cap. him and about 4 other guys wearing the same shirts pushed there way through the crowd out by the west beer stands, it happened pretty fast but I'm pretty sure it was him.

just thought I'd share that.

but like I said I might be crazy.

Dan Akroyd was there last night. He was hanging out with Kim Mitchell and the Q107 crew.

Tim

There was some "after-party" with Dan Akroyd you could go to IF you signed up on-site for an American Express card.....

What's happened to Dan's career, if it's come to that for the poor lad?

Anyway, Large Marge, in her inimitable style, signed up using her soon-to-be OLD address and then scammed 4 passes to the PAR-TAY, which also got us into that west beer joint, if we wanted. None of us stuck around for the party though. We had way more fun & famous friends waiting for us all in the east end of the city!!!

fun times, though. Great to see so many skanks, especially when I wasn't aware I was going until that morning!

ahhhh i loved that show. this may sound like blasphemy, but i didn't even miss warren. i certainly look forward to seeing him play with the brothers again, but seeing them with jack brought back fantastic memories, the setlist was unbelievable, and HELLO, chuck leavell!!! an unexpected treat! not one complaint here.

awesome of course to bump into lots of skancs and other folks who i didn't expect to see. loved moving into the aisle to boogie down for jessica and having tonin greet us with a huge hug, then continue dancing with that joyful reckless abandon he's famous for!

an A++ night in my books, worth every penny.

:) :) :)

And a special treat/surprise to see PalacePrincess' date=' Thorngor, Lesley, Shwa, Snelly, etc. make the trip.[/quote']

Nice to see you again, too, KM :P :P

:blush: WHOOPS! Hahaha! Of course it was an extra special (and unexpected) treat to see both you and the lovely meggo, d_rawk. Too bad we didn't get to hang out more...but there was tail feather shakin' to be done. :P

Stupid hungover brain! I knew I forgot someone on that list.

We had way more fun & famous friends waiting for us all in the east end of the city!!!

Thank you so much Deb for getting my drunk ass home. LOL Sorry the mango/vodka was too strong for you. Hahaha! You should've seen me yesterday. Apparently it was too strong for me as well. ;) I've said it before and I'll say it again: NO MORE POTATO JUICE! *shudder*

So has Dr. Evil Mouse become ordained yet? :P LMAO I hope you saved those messages.

:D

WHAT A NIGHT! (toronto)

first of all, damn, moe. is AWESOME.

the allmans ROCKED!

so much fun.

i had such a great time. thanks again to freak by night for the lift, and to stoned phillips for the pre-party. it was so great to meet all you cool toronto peeps...and some new ottawa peeps for me too!

can't wait to do that again.

londoners, i'm jealous. i felt severe pain last night at 6:30 when i realized moe would just be taking the stage.

*sigh*