Jambands.ca

Brief & Drunken ABB Toronto Review

Jaimoe

It was an interesting night. Moe. hit the stage promptly at 18:30 and played a solid 90 minute set. I'm still no convert, but I enjoyed the set.

The Allmans took the stage at 20:30 sharp and delivered a two hour and thirty minute show that never failed to surprise and delight, from the rarely played to the classics - with a heavy nod to the blues. No song was younger than 30, and Derek Trucks and Jack Pearson pushed tunes like Stormy Monday, Leave My Blues At Home, Dimples ( the Duane Allman sung John Lee Hooker classic ), Jessica, Whipping Post etc... to exciting heights.

Jack Pearson almost stole the show tonight. His lead solos were spirited and soulful, yet Derek was always up to the challenge. Derek's evolution as a guitarist is astonishing.

One very important thing to note was that Chuck Leavell played electric piano for the entire show. Seeing this former Allman Brother and current Rolling Stones keyboardist was a real treat. Hearing Chuck tickle the ivories on songs that he helped make famous was unbelievable. I never imagined in my life-time that I'd actually hear Chuck play his famous solo in Jessica, but low and behold, that's what I heard tonight. I'm pretty sure most in the crowd had no idea that that was actually Chuck sitting right of stage, but then again, no one mentioned his name.

It was a good night. The sound was muddy, but the enthusiastic crowd and the energy emenating from the stage made the night memorable.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel wretched. Urgh! What a good time. So nice to see the gaggle of skanks! And a special treat/surprise to see PalacePrincess, Thorngor, Lesley, Shwa, Snelly, etc. make the trip. You bastards are hilarious. Special thanks to Deb for getting my mangled ass home safe. Don't forget to have your old man ordained. LOL ;)

So I'm at work and from the looks of the board most of the ABB gang are still in bed. Lucky bastards. I woke up to Beer Bottle & Kyla bursting into my room looking for a place to sleep...at 6:15. I then realized that I'd rather be at work than deal with the sideshow that is Lacey's house this morning. It's hurting.

Sorry Del...no setlist here. :(

It was a pretty amazing show, however I think the following quote sums up their biggest problem right now:

"There's no boss, there's no bully, there's no leader of everybody else - we fired that." - Gregg Allman (London Free Press - Aug 16, 2005)

It seems to me, from way back in the nosebleeder seats, that the band was definitely lacking a little direction. Greg Allman definitely didn't seem up to the task last night. Some of the jams and changes were a little sloppy, and it seems like Greg was missing his cues on more than a few occasions. The other boys filled in nicely, but I wonder if they almost played a little too aggresively and weren't allowing Greg to have much say. I noticed hearing very little of that sweet sounding hammond, in favour of lots and lots of Chucks piano playing.

One thing is for sure, no one can denigh the incredibly hot lineup that is currently the Allmans Brothers. The fresh young blood offers a lot of new energy and creativity that could otherwise stunt one of these old timer bands. Hell, they even busted into this very sick trancey drum jam!

It was definitely a great show, but not quite up to par with the last two times they were in town.

My $.02

As far as setlist goes, I coudlnt' tell ya, but here are some of the songs we heard:

Midnight Rider

Jessica

Drums

In memory of Elizabeth Reed

Stormy Monday

Whipping Post

That's all I can think of right now... There was a very obvious "The Other One" tease at the end of the trancey drum jam, when Oteil kicked it up on the bass.

The sound was muddy, but the enthusiastic crowd and the energy emenating from the stage made the night memorable.

Nicely written Jaimoe. My thoughts almost to a "T".

Having an almost full moon hanging in the sky always adds to these outdoor shows...look at the band...look at the moon...rock out to the tunes...Elizabeth Reed...ahhhhhhh

... There was a very obvious "The Other One" tease at the end of the trancey drum jam,

so glad to hear you say that...it's always comforting to have one's perceived hallucinations shared by others!

what a tease, indeed!!! Why didn't they give us the whole song?

and a big thanks to both pre- and after- party hosts!

Stoned Philips & Basher: great corn!!!!

Jack Pearson almost stole the show tonight...Derek's evolution as a guitarist is astonishing...Chuck Leavell played electric piano for the entire show...I never imagined in my life-time that I'd actually hear Chuck play his famous solo in Jessica

My thoughts exactly. First off, in terms of moe.'s set - that was an insane Recreational Chemistry. Wow.

We managed to sneak down to the low 200's (from 400's) so the sound wasn't AS muddy...but i've never liked the sound in the Molson Amph anyway.

Even though I was totally FLORED by the playing of Pearson, Leavell, and T-Sax (i apologize, i don't remember his name ala hangover) - I just want to point out that it took three players to replace Warren. Yep.

Great show, i'm glad i was able to experience it.

Great review Jaimoe. I too can not believe I heard Chuck Leavell perform those songs last night, especially "Southbound" and "Jessica."

Greg Allman did mention Chuck's name after "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" though much of what Greg said last night was barely audible.

Here is my long and sober review of the show from last night:

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/224147/

Tim

PS It was good to see \/\/illy and Marky yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't make it to the pre or post parties so I did not see more of you.

Jaimoe, I was at the amphitheatre show in 1996- and it was definitely Warren with them. He was a big selling point for us; the band I was in at the time made a pilgrimage from PEI to see the Allman's on Friday night and then stayed for Steely Dan on Sunday night. I remember Big Sugar opened for the Allman's and sounded quite terrible. I think Pearson did the shows when Warren and Woody left to focus on the Mule shortly after this.

Thanks Punk. 1996-97 were bad years in my family history and they seem to blur together. I was at both the 1996 and 1997 shows... both were excellent and I became a Jack Pearson fan immediately in 1997.

I think Big Sugar sounded terrible to the 10 people that actually watched their set, you and I included. I remember sitting in the last row of the 300's and Warren was standing behind me watching some of Bog Sugar's set.

peipunk is right Jaimoe.

The Allman Brothers Band show at the Molson Amphitheatre definitely had Warren Haynes with Dickey Betts on guitar.

I even got Warren's autograph while he was at the soundboard watching Big Sugar set.

Tim

PS After that Big Sugar opening set at the Molson Amphitheatre, Gordie Johnson has had a nice relationship with Warren Haynes. I remember seeing Gordie come out at two Gov't Mule shows, not including the time Gov't Mule opened for Big Sugar at the Warehouse.

PS After that Big Sugar opening set at the Molson Amphitheatre, Gordie Johnson has had a nice relationship with Warren Haynes. I remember seeing Gordie come out at two Gov't Mule shows, not including the time Gov't Mule opened for Big Sugar at the Warehouse.

...and also, I'm sure, led to Warren playing on the cover of Let It Ride on Big Sugar's Heated album...which I absolutely love. The solo tradeoff at the end is monstrously full of guitar tone.

PS After that Big Sugar opening set at the Molson Amphitheatre' date=' Gordie Johnson has had a nice relationship with Warren Haynes. I remember seeing Gordie come out at two Gov't Mule shows, not including the time Gov't Mule opened for Big Sugar at the Warehouse.[/quote']

...and also, I'm sure, led to Warren playing on the cover of Let It Ride on Big Sugar's Heated album...which I absolutely love. The solo tradeoff at the end is monstrously full of guitar tone.

I love the Bachman-Turner Overdrive song "Let It Ride."

I agree it was great when Warren Haynes helped out Big Sugar in the recording of that BTO song.

Tim