Jambands.ca

jazz nerds, what you listening to these days?

dJEd

i'm always looking for more jazzy jazz to listen to. i've been really liking Joey DeFrancesco(sp) is it Joey? i think theres 2 or 3 of the bastards. that name doesn't seem right to me. the tunes i've heard on Jizz FM are all gravy.

Russ Little is another dooode on that thar station a lot who i'm digging on.

new Sco is also boobs.

as for King Miles i've been loving the "second great quintet stuff" i want to get me some Filles de Killimanjaro or Nefertitti.

Frisell/Holland/Jones has been getting heavy spins in the car lately. love eet.

bring on the jazz pudding pops.

who knew Jeff Healey wasn't a total wanker?

For some fun, why not try out the new Sisters Euclid download that's setup on the main portal page here.

http://www.jambands.ca

i tried, and the universe answered as follows.

"The requested URL /public_html/sanctuary/picks/SE-7-25-05/d1t7_helpless.mp3 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

not to complain, just to inform. went to http://www.kevinbreit.com and am listening to "helpless." man can that guy play...

Frisell/Holland/Jones has been getting heavy spins in the car lately. love eet.

Yessir, I love that cd. Swearing it up and down, been I have.

Just tonight as we headed back to Ottawa, coming from down east, we ended our travels with the somewhat recently reissued John Coltrane - A Love Supreme with the added 2nd cd of the only time he performed the album live. Outstanding stuff. This was pre-empted by some Jazz station in Montreal that was playing KILLER music, but I didnt catch a single artist. Some of it was very elevatorish, but much of it saved our lives from the west-fading sun.

From recent-past ones, I am a big fan of those Howard Wales cds as well as the Garcia-Grisman So What cd.

Yeah, I am about to put on some Django. Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by Guest

I have a good jazz story.. 10 years and 1 week ago it was my Dad's 50th birthday party. They threw a bender for him in my backyard, complete with a 3-piece jazz band. They set up in this one corner and there backs were to the window with our tv room on the other side. I remember my cousin and I being impressed by the stand-up bass cuz our favourite music video at the time was Mr. Kringle by Primus, where Les and his standup bass are very prominent. We had it on tape so we kept playing it over and over, trying to distract the bassist or get some reaction.

Anyways, the cool part is, a few weeks ago my mom rediscovered the band leaders name in her phone book. DAVID BRAID! So yeah, David Braid played in my backyard in 1995 with his trio. haha!!

She said she remembers calling and getting Braid's old mom on the phone... "Sorry, David isn't home right now, can I take a message for him?"

there's lots of good jazzy jazz ther how about:

The Quintet - Jazz at massey hall

stanley clarke

thelonius monk - live at the it club complete

methany trio live

any scofield! especially a go go

any mingus

shit the list goes on

jaco too!

miles ohhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn

just dive right into it!

Jake Langley, another phenomenal jazz guitarist from T-Dot and now is playing full time with Joey DeFrancesco has some great stuff. I have a great recoring of him with Ben Riley (perc), Calvin Beal(bass) & Dylan Hemming (keyboards) from a few years back when they filled in for The Sisters Euclid and dubbed themselves The Brothers Palmerston, one street over from Euclid Ave. I still think it's one of my better live recordings. Fack, where to upload that one...

If you're listening to Jazz FM, you've heard Jake. If you haven't, well, might be worth checking into.

or if you like what jayr has posted, and want to branch out a little, try these artists:

The Guitar Trio

=Di Moela, De Lucia, McLaughlin

Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden

Mike Stern Quartet

Always, Always, Always listening to Return to Forever.

*Shibusashirazu Orchestra* (trust me!)

E.S.T.(Esbjorn Svensson Trio)

Scott Amendola Band

and what i've been listening to the absolute most lately:

ARTIST Keith Jarrett

TITLE Bremen, Germany

VENUE Glocke Konzerthaus

CITY Bremen

STATE Bremen

COUNTRY Germany

DATE Feruary 2, 1975

Charlie Parker - The Original Recordings

It seems like every time I'm at the El Mo there's a ragged looking busker who passes by playing Charlie Parker. The first time he busted out Now's the Time I was ecstatic*! Almost everyone else tried to shush him so that they could return to their cigarettes and idle chit chat. I guess none of the club kids listen to jazz anymore. ;)

*literally

Speaking of Charlie, I'd recommend checking out his autobiographical flick, Bird if you get the chance. It's one sad story. I also share a birthday with Mr. Parker! :o He would've been 85 on Monday.

The 34 year old Parker was so haggard that the coroner mistakenly estimated Parker's age to be between 50 and 60.

Oh, Charlie. :(

Edited by Guest

I just saw Bird on Monday...weird that it was his B-Day. It was a pretty good film. Long mind you, but Forrest Whitaker plays Bird well. Clint Eastwood directed it.

The film really lacked depth in its investigation of his music though. It seemed to never expose how truly revolutionary his phrasing was and what it did to change jazz forever; other than a quick conversation between Albino Red and Bird where Bird talks about Cherokee and how he went inside the chords and found out how to replace the notes within the chords making the tune completely new while preserving the essence.

I too have been listening to the original recordings of Charlie Parker as of late.

Also been checking out a double CD my guitar player bought me. It features Thelonius Monk and Miles Davis on separate occasions at the Newport Jazz Fest (not playing together.) The years escape me right now, but this is an awesome set of recordings.

The MC at the fest in combination with the booklet that comes with the CD do a great job in explaining the serious confusion around Thelonius' music when it was first introduced to the public and goes on to show what vindication (sp?) the Monk appearance at the fest was for both Monk himself and the progressive jazz scene as a whole.

Pretty cool stuff.

I LOVE Thelonius.

Edited by Guest

check out Keith Jarret same time as that other German show that 2ndtube mentioned, solo improv show called the Koln Concert(s) is just abso-fu#kinglutely sweet.

Grant Green and Sonny Clark

Clifford Brown - anything (with or without Max Roach)

Joshua Redman - anything

Edited by Guest