Jambands.ca

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan - on PBS tonight & tomorrow at 9pm

Cosmic ChrisC

American Masters: Bob Dylan

TONIGHT & TOMORROW @ 9:00PM on PBS

Bob Dylan participates for the first time in an exclusive, full- length film biography. From his explosive 1961 arrival in downtown NYC with a raspy voice, pounding guitar and stunning lyrics -through his near-fatal motorcycle accident in 1966, no one had more of an impact on contemporary music.

More info: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/dylan/index.html

I grabbed up the DVDs the day they came out and can say this is a must see for any Dylan fan.Best Dylan doc I have ever seen thats for sure.

Bob's pretty candid & open,genuine in his responses and compared to past interviews on TV or in print,he actually answers questions without a metaphoric dance around like he is so famous for.There are some great interviews with folks like Joan Baez,Liam Clancey and Allen Ginsberg to mention a few.Also,so really sweet footage from the infamous "Judas" show.

Five stars in my book.

I tried to find the exact same thing out, Jay. With the basic Expressvu package there's a PBS station listed. My guess is that you'll be able to find it on there somewhere at 9pm. Do a search in "themes" and "movies" to find out for sure. It should be listed there.

I can't think of anything else I'd rather do on a rainy evening.

Don't even get me going on this one. My mind was being blown over and over again and I concur with Esau that this is some of the least obfuscatory dialogue I have heard out of Dylan. Dave Van Ronk always seems to me a pillar of insight whenever I've come across him regarding Dylan, Bobby's admiration for him doesn't hurt. There was just so much going on to comment upon, much of the footage including the Band for instance I had never seen. Also having recently read Positively 4th Street about Dylan, Baez, Mimi Baez and Richard Farina I found I had a lot of background to draw from, the Izzy Young stuff, Grossman, Baez, Newport. Seeing the With God On Our Side from Newport was particularly eery given the narrative it takes up in that book. Can't imagine what the next installment will be like.

For those interested ,some video...

This was broadcast on BBC2 'Newsnight' programme in 1998. It's about 15 minutes long and focuses on the 'Judas!' shout. A bit of live Bob footage from 1966 as well as comments from C.P.Lee and Andy Kershaw. I think it's really interesting, especially in light of 'No Direction Home' being on later tonight.

Download here: [right click, save target as]

http://spring.phpwebhosting.com

Now don't say I haven't done anything for ya.... :lol:

It was on last night Trevor. I'm sorry you missed it too because it was incredible.

I can't say enough about this documentary on Dylan. I enjoyed the pace, the scope and the aesthetic of it. I sincerely hope it serves as a reminder to younger people that the old guy with the funny voice who keeps making weird appearances at awards shows is actually one of the most important artists of the 20th century, and this movie will hopefully help illuminate this. To think of the artistic journey he made in just 24 to 36 months (1962 > 1965)!!!

The dramatic ending lay in the conflict between artist and audience.

Thank you Mr Scorcese!

sweet, (hope its on here too)

meant to catch it but couldn't

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/dylan/

WNED in our area Paisley,unfortunatley it doesn't appear to be getting replayed within the next two weeks.(according to the link: "Check air dates for" at the link above).

I can lend ya the DVDs though,but would like em back for next week as I have another friend borrowing them on tuesday.

Cheers