Jambands.ca

fave beatles covers

dJEd

there are a fartload of Beatles covers, so what are yer faves?

A Day in the Life - Wes Montgomery

She's a Woman - Jeff Beck

For No One - Elliot Smith

Blackbird - Jaco Pastorius

Jealous Guy - Elliott Smith

i'll accept solo career covers too, just so i can add that Elliott Lennon business.

well? what do you wankers like?

i really like rufus wainwright's across the universe.

i think everybody likes beatles covers. whenever i played the i am sam soundtrack when i was working at indigo, i would always sell at least 3 copies. it was like that scene in high fidelity, except, not the beta band... uh... yeah.

Edited by Guest

Man...this is an example of a thread that needs mp3's. I'd love to hear any Beatle's cover.

This of course is a tough question. Mainly because I get a real kick out of it when people cover the more complicated Beatles tunes right down to a tee.

Umphrey's did some really sweet-arsed Abbey Road cover NYE 2002. I really enjoyed Phish's Halloween White Album, but I'm yet to hear killer sound quality, or maybe a killer dvd.

Other than that, for singular tunes....I REALLY have to think about it.

Great post

The George Harrison tribute show had a number of great versions, my favorites being Gary Brooker doing Old Brown Shoe, Joe Brown doing Here Comes The Sun and his daughter Sam Brown doing Horse To The Water. Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy is plenty awesome too. Ditto the Breeders version of Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

about half of the I Am Sam soundtrack is good (two of us, don't let me down, blackbird, universe) but the cover is julia by chocolate genius is absolutely dreadful shite that should be punishable by punching. nick drake's let it be is pretty brutal too ...

fave covers ... gotta be Joe Cocker's With A Little Help ... it's the only cover I know that's actually WAY better than the original ...

Guest Low Roller

I once downloaded a compilation bootleg called The Dead do the Beatles off of Sharing The Groove when it was still around. It's a two disc compilation of any Beatles tune that was covered by GD/JGB/TOO/P&F/TD.

To be perfectly honest there is a lot of crap in there, especially when Phil tries to sing and fails spectacularily.

The one stand-out was an instrumental version of Elanor Rigsby by JSB. From the sounds of it, it's an instrumental jam in between tunes, but it's still very recognizable.

Heres a few I really enjoy & some that haven't been mentioned yet.(No particular order)

Richie Havens

- Here Comes The Sun

- Strawberry Fields Forever

- Eleanor Rigby

- Rocky Raccoon

- Let It Be

- With a Little Help From My Friends

- In My Life

Grateful Dead

- Hey Jude

- Rain

- Tomorrow Never Knows

- It's All Too Much

- Revolution

Jerry Garcia Band

- I Saw Her Standing There

- Dear Prudence

Bob Dylan - Yesterday

Acousticats - Dear Prudence

YMSB - Only A Northen Song

Alison Krauss - I Will

I once downloaded a compilation bootleg called The Dead do the Beatles off of Sharing The Groove when it was still around. It's a two disc compilation of any Beatles tune that was covered by GD/JGB/TOO/P&F/TD.

That thing is pure crap. Either terrible sounding versions or terrible versions. The jumps from grade C audience versions to grade B sbd versions pissed me off to the point I threw it out.

PLQ - I Am The Walrus summer 2001 at Alpine Valley was magic. Pure magic.