Jambands.ca

fuÇk I HATE the radio...

Weirdness

Forgot my selection of tunes when I got in the car this morning, had a disc in the player and didn't realize until I was 10 minutes up the road. Man, what tripe they put on the radio!!! I have been 100% anti radio since I was in highschool and have always had a ton of other shit to listen to so it hardly registers as even existing but whoa, what an awful bunch of crap they shove down peoples throats all day long.

Of course, there is some good shit on the radio as well, indie stuff, Jazz and Classical and the like which is quite good, but the vast majority does not fall into this category. The advent of digital radio without commercials is interesting as the quality isn't shit like FM/AM is, but the selection still seems fairly lean so far. Regardless, I think that if there were no radio then we would be saved from alot of terrible music...

Figure this: You've been listening to classic rock since you were twelve. Youre now 25. DO you have any idea how many times you must've heard "You Shook me All Night Long"? Im guessing at least 80 000.

The sad thing about the Dean Blundel Show is that its one of the more entertaining ones out there. Thats what hurts the most.

It's been said before umpteen million times, of course, but here goes again: community radio. The downside is that you usually have to be within spitting distance of their tower, but it's typically the most diverse and interesting thing going on at any randomly given time.

[Edit to add: just waiting for Osgoode U. to open its doors...]

Edited by Guest
Geographic oversight

I finished off with commercial radio about eight years ago while visiting with my family. I borrowed their car for a couple of days to go visit friends in Ottawa and turned on chez (one of my favs from the days lifeguarding on the beach in the 'prior). Few good tunes, beautiful day - "Here Comes the Sun" - Wicked! Love the Beatles.

Next day as I was driving home at around the same time as the day before - "Here Comes the Sun" - WTF!!!

That was a moment of clarity. If these clowns don't have any more imagination than to play the same BEATLES tune twice in two days, I can't support it.

Anyone else and it might have slipped past me, but the BEATLES?!?!?!?! How many truly inspirational and beautiful and POPULAR songs do the Beatles have recorded?

I now listen to CKCU, CBC Radio 1, and CHUO. Only.

My rant over.

When I am in a car, I prefer to listen to the radio, usually Q107, than to a CD. I dunno, I like to listen to CDs at home. When I'm on the move I enjoy the more random direction of a radio station.

I also listen to Q when I'm at home doing chores, usually on a Sunday.

It is great to have the CBC back though.

I love sports radio, so The Fan 590 in Toronto is always on. I listened to The Team when I was in Ottawa during the 40 Main Bash weekend bash. I listened to CFRA too, but turned it off pretty fast.

You can actually get some Yank talk radio in Ottawa too - ESPN radio comes in pretty clearly.

In Ottawa we've got three choices for talk radio

The CBC (always my choice, but for the summer they were locked out right)

CFRA (Ottawa's answer to Fox News)

Team Sports 1200 (all sports, all the time)

so really, in Ottawa, when The CBC was locked out, there was much selection

Whenever I listen to CBC I can't help but be annoyed by how precious everyone sounds.

never checked out the yank talk radio.. and I'm not enough of a sports fan to get into The Team or ESPN.. though a buddy of mine is a producer at The Team.. but he's not on-air.. if he was I might listen more

I like The Team's original content but find they rely far too heavily on reselling American programming, especially on the weekends. And Jim Rome just kills their afternoon broadcast.

commercial radioas a whole is misguided, intending to keep the listener around long enough to hear the commercials.

no thought provoking, challenging content, even on talk radio where it's all about news, information, and ideas. they just play on average peoples' typical sensibilities, working politics and ethical issues.

listen to the commercials and production values. quick hits, obnoxious announcers, poor programming.

the music is generally chosen based on charts and statistics.

now, that being said, I believe there are some skanks that work in radio or have worked in radio. I know they're fighting the good fight, or at least making the most of their salaries paid by advertising revenues and independant promotion.

i resent commercial radio as it's part of the problem rather than trying to be a part of the solution.

if you're in the frequency range (Guelph'll do I believe) check out the old school funk show tonight on CIUT 89.5 (think it's 8pm - 10pm)... will restore some faith

but yeah, mainstream stations have gotten horrifically stale... big brother pumpin out the Soma

Edited by Guest

I'm joining this one a bit late, but I have to respons to TomFoolery's "Here Comes The Sun" anecdote.

It's happened to me at least once that I've dial-surfed and found that both CHEEZ 106 and The Bore have been playing the same song AT THE SAME G*DD*MN TIME. Grrr! Grrr!

CBC, CKCU, and CHUO are pretty well all I can listen to these days. Goes without saying the CBC lockout was hell on me.

By the way, the CKCU funding drive starts next week. Tune in, dial, and donate!

It's happened to me at least once that I've dial-surfed and found that both CHEEZ 106 and The Bore have been playing the same song AT THE SAME G*DD*MN TIME. Grrr! Grrr!

What was the song? It seems the one I've un-lucked into most routinely across the broadest geographical spread is Black Magic Woman, which is a shame, because otherwise I'm a bit of a Santana nut.

I've also heard the Q107 DJs refer, in moments of surprising candour, to their own station as Q-1-0-Zeppelin, which pretty much says it all. All of those albums wore out for me the after first six thousand listens, not to speak of the half-dozen songs that continue to get ground into the dirt.