Jambands.ca

Here we go...OC job action starts Monday.

rubberdinghy

The OC on strike? [color:purple]But however will I secure my fix of tasteless, bland, shallow, whitewashed, American rich kid pseudo soap opera?

03.jpg

Seriously though, transit strike is bad news. Here's to a swift and amicable resolution.

{{{{{{{no strike, eh}}}}}}

Edited by Guest
Should that be purple? I mean all those things, but I don't want to watch it. Confused.

$50 a week strike pay? Thats rough.Glad my union pays more or did at one time, we now have arbitrators which averts any possibility of a strike.(not that I care for that too much)

Hope it doesn't happen for your sake rubberdingy.

no work. no pay.

god bless unions

Which is really no different then non-union.

Well, my deadline is Wednesday...Lets hear some good vibes for public transit in Ottawa NOT going on strike Thursday...

As much as a vacation would be nice, $50 a week strike pay just won't cut it...

hope you don,t go out on strike as it would be for long, no way can u live on 50$ a week ,doesn,t the other union pay so much also what a hell of a mess this world is into eh

sending all good vibes to you all

Thanks for that Brad...I was just about to scour the papers for info!! That's goodish news...the only bad thing is that I read in an article the other day the city may want to take a hard stance against our union...

Whatever the outcome, councillors said one of the biggest stumbling blocks between the city and the union is over whether employees with light rail will all belong to the ATU

In our contract currently we cannot be let go due to outsourcing...If they outsource the light rail, some of us could be out of jobs, and with the Barrhaven-Rideau Centre line due to be finished in 2009 that's alot sooner than I hope...

Can anyone explain why OC Transpo would want to outsource staffing of the light rail? The quick answer would be to lower costs, since, presumably, it wouldn't be unionized at first, but that could easily change, and then OC Transpo would have to deal with two different unions, on different contacts, which could double transit disruptions.

As well, wouldn't it make integrating the light rail with the rest of the system harder? AFAIK, for Toronto and Montreal, their rail systems are fully integrated with the street vehicles (both in terms of staffing, and things like ticketing).

Aloha,

Brad

I agree Brad...I think the first thing they are looking at is saving money...which the city has already done with OC...Those slinky buses that they bought are WAY underpowered, biggest mistake, but it was all about saving the cash...and it's only gonna cost money in the long run...same with those stupid new "penis" busses...what garbage...

I also heard somewhere that a strike could save the city tons of cash...something along the lines of 16 million a week, if we were off for a week, think about that!

I would guess that outsourcing the light rail staffing would put the headaches of having to deal with difference in technology at arms length. I don't know if this means dealing with a different union (I suspect so) or simply having to deal with teaching people how to drive trains.

It takes a lot of training to become an engineer, just like it takes a lot of boating to become a sailor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey...just an update...we saw the city's final offer today...they raised it to 2.8%-3%-3% over 3 years...voted today...didn't look good...Anyways, official results will be out tonight/tomorrow...

Don't be worried about a strike though...I'm not...both sides just have to keep talking....things I overheard today were encouraging...