Jambands.ca

Don't forget to remember.

Velvet

Friday is Rememberance Day.

I'm not sure why I started going, but every year I go to the War Memorial here in Ottawa for the Rememberance Day Ceremony at 11am. It's not like I'm from a military family (though apparently my grandad did some cooking in the Air Force) or have some thing for war, but every year I stand there quietly in the chill as the planes fly overhead and the guns fire off and think of how shitty it would have been to be laying in a trench somewhere trying not to get shot, and, well, it's worth going.

Anyway, if you haven't been and you can get there, I recommend you hit it up.

When I was in Ottawa from 1994-1997 at Carleton I went to every Remembrance Day Parade. Actually it doesn't matter what city I'm in I nearly make it to the parade (Minus 2001 when I went to State College to see Bob Dylan).

We do not do enough to honour the veterans of Canada. They shouldn't have just one day on November 11, they should have many more.

Days like June 6 (D-Day), May 8 (Victory in Europe Day) and/or August 10 (Victory Day over Japan) are just a few other days we should take a moment and remember what the Greatest Generation did for us.

It has now been 60 years since the end of World War II, those brave veterans that still remain are getting smaller and smaller in numbers each and every year. They need us now more than ever, and when they are gone we still must never forget.

Tim

most of us have to work

my company just switched the policy on this, we can now take nov 11 in lieu of one of our shutdown days on the xmas break. so we can substitute it, no questions asked or confirmations needed from managers. but it'd be nice if it was an actual stat.

ad

According to

http://www.daniellanois.com/calendar.htm

he'll be in California on Friday. And according to

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/programmes_e.html

Friday will feature

Musical Performances

Enjoy music for remembrance as well as a medley of wartime tunes, commemorating the end of the Second World War. Performances by local musical groups Men's Voyces, Grey Jazz, and the Governor General's Foot Guards Band.

Aloha,

Brad

THERE ARE NO POPPY'S IN MARKHAM. I work in Markham and wherever my lunch, gas, whatever travels have taken me I did not find a POPPY - I got one downtown but have since lost it and want a replacement I think they should be in more places in Markham!!!!! That's all for today. I am heading downtown after work and will be getting a new poppy.

Guest Low Roller

I once took part in a Polish war veteran parade in Ottawa (representing the Polish Scouts) and laid a wreath at the foot of the memorial with the Ambassador from Poland. It was quite a moving experience to be in the presence of about 100 Polish war veterans. Just thinking about what they had to go through makes me shiver.

I think it should be a holiday too. I really miss not connecting the way I had in the past at the school ceremonies. I would go if I had the day off. I would not abuse the day.

At Elementary school and then high school a very good presentation would be put together. Best county wide. Very moving stuff profiling many of the fallen soldiers from the area.

today at the mall i saw a fashion show/remembrance show. it was a little odd! they had people dressed in various military outfits, then they would walk the stage, and someone would announce how many of these particular soldiers had died.

it seemed strange to me that they were playing it off as entertainment (fashion show). then again, i suppose it was in hopes of making people listen/watch/think, who otherwise might not have? i'm thinking of hip mall hopping teenagers here...but to tell the truth, it was pretty much a bunch of seniors sitting there watching it.

I really think this is an important holiday.

But I'm not sure why it's a holiday at all. Generally you spend holidays celebrating something rather than mourning or remembering someone, with a few exceptions.

But in the US do people spend Martin Luther King Day going on shopping trips, talking about getting wasted at noon or sitting on their lazy arses except for 1 minute at 11:11?