Jambands.ca

Question of the Day June 16th

Mr. Musicface

Hey hey! So I thought this would be a good question of the day for a post-Father's Day:

What influence did your Dad (or Mom) have on your love of music? Were they into music themselves and helped get you in, were/are they neutral on the subject, or did they spend your youth yelling at you to "turn that damn noise down"?

Personally, my parents were a big influence on my early interest in music. Other than the regular kids songs, the first song I remember being able to sing all the way through was "Cat's In The Craddle" by Harry Chapin 'cus my Dad used to sing it too me at nights like a lullaby. My Mom was a terrific pump organ player, and made my sister and I learn the organ when we were old enough which I can never thank her enough for. And my Dad was the harmonica and guitar player, and giving me my first harmonica when I was about 8 or 9 was something that'll stay with me forever. They also never gave me a hard time about being out to all hours at concerts when I was 14 or 15, and never complained about the music being too loud - although to be far if I cranked it way up it was usually if they were out of the house or in my headphones. My Mom never liked the look of that Ozzy character on his album covers, but that's about the extent of any complaints I got!

And actually, they're still incredibly supportive, they even came to see my do my solo set at St. Lawrence Market this weekend! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

My parents had no influence on the music I listen to. They listened to mostly country music (esp. Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Don Williams, etc.) while I was growing up, which I had no time for (then). They weren't musicians (though they were square dancers), and weren't heavily into music (as a hobby/interest, the way I and most of the poeple here are).

They did, however, have a meta-musical influence: their influence on me was to let me choose the music that I liked, and to be a discerning and discriminating listener.

Aloha,

Brad

my mother listened to abba. so i guess hse may have influenced my small love for SCI. [Razz]

otehr than that, my folks no longer listen to tunes..and if so they are religous ones.

i guess my mom may have influenced me at one point by makingh throw away all my NWA tapes in 1988. that really sucked!

My parents were super supportive. As I said in another post, neither of them we musical. However, what they lacked in musicallity, they made up for in understanding. They signed my up for leasons, drove me to and from shows, bought me my first instrument, etc...

Neither of my parents are musical, although my mother always had country music on in the house and would sing along with it. She told me I was singing along with, and knew all the words to anything that would come on the radio when I was four years old. She'd have me show off to her friends and stuff like that. She signed me up for piano lessons but didn't force me to practice of stay in them (I sure wish she had of pushed me more).

I think the biggest influence on my musical interests came from school and teachers who recognized and trained my talents. They forced me to audition for things and enter contests and train to the best of my ability. A good teacher is priceless and I was so lucky to have so many good ones. They can really change a life.

well my pops used to play the drums when he was younger, gave that up around the time my older brothers were born. he listened to lots of stuff like cats in the cradle, he had lots of records by that guy that sang that, chapin. the one dude that he would always have on was john prine, still listens to lots of prine, even took a roadtrip to teh states to see him l ast yr. nowadays he listens to lots of prine and paul simon. my mum listens to lots of cheesey stuff, around xmas its all xmas cds crankin, alabama does christmas, you know.

it aint easy bein that cheesy

nice QOTD. brings back fond memories.

I guess my parents having the entire Bob Dylan and Beatles catalogues in their collection must have been a huge influence on me growing up. Plus my dad always had a guitar laying around so eventually I picked that up.

I had plenty of support and interest from the folks. My mother's sister sent us home with a guitar from New Brunswick when I was just a wee little Bouchard. My dad would go through songs with me and it always boiled down to House of the Rising sun.

I joined beginner guitar lessons in Grade 6, and I think my dad was in them with me. I stopped playing until about grade 10 though, because the strings were too hard to push down.

In grade 10 my dad then got me a guitar and amp from a guy he worked with who said that I could borrow it until I was able to buy one. In about a year, the folks brought me to Steve's in Ottawa and helped me get my red Fender Strat. I found out a few years later that the loaner was actually on old Gibson Les Paul. I wish I kept it ;0

They sure were supportive, but guitar-wise and musically, my biggest influences were 2 music teachers in Kingston at Frontenac Secondary School (GO FALCONS!) Dave Barton and Wayne Tindale.

lots of prine and paul simon.

i think that was a quote from above... im still working out the bugs. my mom always had a great record collection, but wasnt very passionate about it... they just sit and collect dust. my dad is a pure oldies guy. they do promote a love of music in me though, they bought me a guitar as a graduation present. woohoo!

My Ma bought me my ticket to 06.21.84 GD.

Mainly she was a folky/blues/beatnik type and my Dad was a country & western fan,I think that is why I have a great love for folk/acoustic head stompin music.

quote:

And it's up against the wall Redneck Mother,

Mother, who has raised her son so well.

He's thirty-four and drinking in a honky tonk.

Just kicking hippies asses and raising hell.

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

quote:

I was their "cool' son"..................

Funny how things change isn't Booche? [Wink]

Are you saying Booche isn't cool, or is their daughter now? (Or both...)

Expiring minds want to know.

Aloha,

BRAD (Booche Readily Admits Derision)

I remember being a little fellow at many family get togethers and all the aunts and uncles with various musical insruments singing late into the night (or at least I thought it was). They mostly sang old country tunes, I wasn't a huge fan of it then, but when I learned to appreciate music fully it brings back a lot of good memories and makes my love for live music now greater. My pops always liked the classic rock and we always had the stereo on in the house. I'm sure at times I was told to turn down the music that they deffinitly didn't like, but that's how it goes I guess. Only been to one show with them, CSNY in Toronto a couple of years ago...but I always try and send them good music to listen too. It's nice to know the folks had something to do with me being a music freak now! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

My dad was a Huge influence on my musical development/understanding.

My mom liked the Kingsto Trio. [Wink]

Jerry (my dad. go figure), liked the 'big bands', Benny Goodman, The Dorsey bros. ,

He also liked C&W, (Hank Williams, Bob Wills, etc.)

He'd get buzzed and play his clarinet to all sorts of crazy shiite.

Ah memories

Great qotd Mr. M

My parents had a huge influence on me not neccessarily the music format just the genuine love of music.Music always on comming home from school you could hear from the street.Mom would clean ,dance just about everything to music .As with my children now I hope the love of the tunes continues,both of my children love to dance and tunes always playing in the house.

Archived