Jambands.ca

songs with spoken word

dJEd

what are some songs that have talking? post rock seems to be full of them. i usually love it too for some reason.

valley of the giants - whaling tale

GYBE - dead flag blues, "they don't sleep anymore on the beach"

explosions in the sky - have you passed through this night

mogwai - punk rock

jksdhfkjashgsjkrgha;ufdhbajgnhbfgjfg

Heres a few, obvious by the titles.

• Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues (Dylan 1962)
  • Talkin' Devil (Dylan 1963)
  • Talkin Hava Negeilah Blues (Dylan 1962)
  • Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (Dylan 1963
  • Talking New York Blues (Dylan/trad. 1962)
  • Talkin' World War III Blues (Dylan 1963)

Dead Man, Acoustic Theme from Neil Young's Archives Be Damned set on disc 5 with Johhny Depp narrating is one of my favorites.

Also I just remembered I used to have this cd , The Priest They Called Him with William Burroughs speaking and Kurt Cobain on guitar. I really liked it but I gave it to an obsessive compulsive Nirvana fan friend of mine. Had I waited a few years I could have just made him a copy. :(

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, there's that whole bunch of Bruce Cockburn spoken word stuff that people either love or hate - "Hoop Dancer", "If a Tree Falls", "Tibetan Side of Town", "Charity of Night", "Birmingham Shadows", "Get Up, Jonah", "Use Me While You Can", "When You Give It Away", "Postcards from Cambodia", "You've Never Seen Everything", and so on.

How about Gil Scott-Heron? He may do more poetry-set-to-music (and I guess a lot of ther "dub" poets would also be listable here) but "'B' Movie" (and "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised") are stellar tunes, IMO.

Aloha,

Brad

good one brad. brent bambury had gil-scott heron on brave new waves one night years ago. he was totally riveting, and "the revolution will not be televised" blew me away.

i would also suggest "diamonds on my windshield" by tom waits. actually about a dozen other tw tunes too. and i know it's not a song, but frank zappa reading a bit about the talking asshole from "naked lunch" also springs to mind.

'there's fifteen feet of snow in the east and it's colder than a welldigger's ass."

Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

Psychoderelict ( throughout the entire album ) - Pete Townshend

Little Johnny Jewel - Television

If 6 Was 9 - Jimi Hendrix

There's plenty of Doors tunes that have elements of spoken word: The Wasp, The Soft Parade, The End etc...

Edited by Guest

young_elvis_com.jpg

I wonder if,

You are lonesome tonight

You know, someone said that all the world's a stage, we each must play a part

Fate had me playing in love you as my sweet heart

Act one was when we met, I loved you at first glance

You read your line so cleverly and never missed a cue

Then came act two

You seemed to change, you acted strange

And why I'll never know

Honey, you lied when you said you loved me

And I had no cause to doubt you

But I'd rather go on hearing your lies

Than go on living without you

Now the stage is bare, and I'm standing there

With emptiness all around

And if you won't come back to me

Then they can bring the curtain down

♫ Is your heart filled with pain, shall I come back again?

Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight? ♫

Bruce Cockburn - The Charity of Night, Postcards from Cambodia, Hoop Dancer - he's got a couple of others but those come to mind.

then there's Somewhere Down The Crazy River by Robbie Robertson, although I do hate that song.

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, there's that whole bunch of Bruce Cockburn spoken word stuff that people either love or hate - "Hoop Dancer", "If a Tree Falls", "Tibetan Side of Town", "Charity of Night", "Birmingham Shadows", "Get Up, Jonah", "Use Me While You Can", "When You Give It Away", "Postcards from Cambodia", "You've Never Seen Everything", and so on.
Somewhere Down the Crazy River- Robbie Robertson