Jambands.ca

Nice big f*cking storm a-coming for us Ontarians

TheGoodRev

Well it's already raining pretty hard here in the West end of the Hammer...so I consulted the Weather Network to see how long it's supposed to last. At the top of the Hamilton page, there's a link that's not usually there that says "WEATHER WARNING: Rainfall warning for Hamilton". When I clicked it, I was brought to this message:

A DEVELOPING DISTURBANCE OVER SOUTHERN OHIO WILL RAPIDLY DEEPEN INTO AN INTENSE WINTER STORM LATER TODAY. THE CENTRE OF THE STORM IS FORECAST TO REACH LAKE ERIE BY TONIGHT AND THEN PETAWAWA LATE SUNDAY. RAIN WILL SPREAD OVER MUCH OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO EXCEPT COTTAGE COUNTRY TODAY AND INTO THE EASTERN PART OF THE PROVINCE LATE TODAY. SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL AMOUNTS IN THE RANGE OF 20 TO 30 MILLIMETRES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS REGIONS NEIGHBOURING LAKES ERIE AND ONTARIO WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 40 MM POSSIBLE. THIS INCLUDES ALL OF THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE. LESSER AMOUNTS ARE FORECAST FOR FAR EASTERN ONTARIO WHERE THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ENDED. TEMPERATURES WILL BE JUST COLD ENOUGH TO CAUSE THE PRECIPITATION TO BEGIN AS HEAVY WET SNOW OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE DUNDALK HIGHLANDS AND OVER REGIONS TO THE NORTHWEST TO NORTHEAST OF TORONTO. ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 5 CM ARE LIKELY BY THIS EVENING IN THIS AREA. AFTER NIGHTFALL..THE RAIN IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO HEAVY SNOW NORTH OF A LINE FROM ROUGHLY ST THOMAS TO BRANTFORD TO BRAMPTON TO MINDEN TO NEAR ARNPRIOR. STRONG WINDS OF 30 GUSTING TO 60 KM/H WILL ALSO DEVELOP CREATING EXTENSIVE LOW VISIBILITY LESS THAN 500 METRES IN FALLING..DRIFTING AND BLOWING SNOW. RAIN..HEAVY AT TIMES..WILL PERSIST AROUND NIAGARA AND TORONTO AND EAST. THERE IS A RISK OF A BAND OF FREEZING RAIN EXTENDING BETWEEN THE RAIN AND SNOW WELL NORTH OF LAKE ONTARIO. AS THE STORM HEADS TOWARDS PETAWAWA ON SUNDAY THE BACK END OF THE STORM WILL DELIVER A NASTY WINTERY PUNCH TO ALL OF THE REGION INCLUDING TORONTO. STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS TO 60 KM/H OR MORE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY THE SNOW WITH FURTHER APPRECIABLE ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 CM WITH BLOWING SNOW LIKELY. TOTAL SNOWFALL IN MANY AFFECTED REGIONS MAY VERY WELL REACH IN EXCESS OF 30 CENTIMETRES BY SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS IS A SERIOUS STORM WHICH IS EXPECTED TO HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT OVER A LARGE PORTION OF THE PROVINCE. ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR ITS DEVELOPMENT. IN THE LONGER TERM..IN SPITE OF WHAT SOME GROUNDHOGS MAY SAY..IT APPEARS THIS STORM WILL ALTER THE NORTH AMERICAN WEATHER PATTERN SUFFICIENTLY TO INTRODUCE REAL WINTER WEATHER BACK ACROSS THE PROVINCE FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

Christ on a cracker!

meh.

this is supposed to be happenning this time of year. the fact that we have had spring-like conditions since new years is really unsettling, and at the moment, nothing makes me happier than seeing the giant honking snowflakes flying around out my window :)

I hear ya, Tim; it's been unsettling for me too, and I don't mind some snow. It's just the big all-at-once storms and the inclusion of the freezing rain that gets me...especially when I'm due to drive to Toronto later today, back to Hamilton tomorrow around noon, back to Toronto tomorrow night, and then on the bus back to Hamilton Monday afternoon. Balls.

meh.

this is supposed to be happenning this time of year. the fact that we have had spring-like conditions since new years is really unsettling' date=' and at the moment, nothing makes me happier than seeing the giant honking snowflakes flying around out my window :)[/quote']

I hear ya, Tim; it's been unsettling for me too, and I don't mind some snow. It's just the big all-at-once storms and the inclusion of the freezing rain that gets me...especially when I'm due to drive to Toronto later today, back to Hamilton tomorrow around noon, back to Toronto tomorrow night, and then on the bus back to Hamilton Monday afternoon. Balls.

if it's any comfort, look at it from a systemic view. the freezing rain will prepare a base for snow, which is essentially slow release groundwater for next summer.

niffermouse and i are off to a party in waterloo tonight, and i'm not looking forward to the drive, but on the upside, i've got snowtires on the mousemobile and no time deadlines to really worry about, and the plows will be out eventually.

bring it on, i say!

man, i just took the bus home from work and it just about got stuck at every stop.

it's fucking nasty out there.

kudos to you and all you do out there, thorg.. cleanin' it up and makin' it easier for all the rest of us... you know what they say: it's a tough job, but...

bee-yooo.